Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:14 AM

25 posts, read 35,749 times

Advertisements

One personal observation is that I really do not like Harris Teeter produce - for both prices and quality. I have a particular issue with their apples, which are the size of soccer balls and, even in season, covered in wax. I really do not like oversize apples Also with a negative vote, Lowes Food seems to have very pricy produce, and I've never seen a good selection there, even at their flagship stores.

Anyway, agree with those saying that Aldi and Lidl are best value, but certainly understand if people have had bad experiences there - they are not traditional grocery stores. And don't visit them on a Monday, when they have no stock.

Wegmans have great variety - for example Macoun apples - but other than weekly specials are expensive. H-Mart is also good, but, yeah, farmers markets are really the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Just-picked and organic is what I consider the "best."

Those who grow their own veggies would have the freshest and ostensibly the best.

Pick yer own is very nice, if farms are not too far away.

Direct from local farmers, roadside stand near the farms, co-ops can be very good. I know OP said "no farmers' markets" but that is where some wonderful veggies can be found, and all in one place.

Grocery stores that carry a large variety of organic produce are convenient though can be more expensive: Harris Teeter, Wegmans ($$$), Whole Foods ($$$), Lidl for a smaller discount grocery.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I hate shopping in Whole Foods. It’s poorly lit, always cramped, and aside from Poppydog who I’m guessing is legit super nice, many of the patrons are slow and rude. Whew. I’m so glad I got that off my chest.
Hahaha. Thanks for the compliment. I actually don't go to Whole Foods that often, but had been last week and got some mushrooms and peppers and zucchini and stuff for a stirfry and it was all good quality so I thought I'd give them a shout out. When I have been to WF their stuff usually seems good, but I walked out of there yesterday because it is not a friendly vibe at all. I do 85% of my shopping at Weaver Street (almost all my produce) and get a few staples and junk food at Harris Teeter. Don't much like HT produce, but I will grab an item or two if I'm already in there.

Weaver Street has way better produce than any other store I have seen mentioned. I got fresh local figs there the other day. They support our local farmers. You can get tons of super fresh stuff there. I still like the farmers' markets for all the variety (they've got some great Asian veggies in Carrboro), but you can get amazing tomatoes, cukes, zukes, and whatever else is in season at Weaver Street any day of the week. Y'all try it out. There is a location in downtown Raleigh now.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:18 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I agree that I never got the big deal with Whole Foods. If I'm paying those prices, I would rather support a farmers market or a local store like Weaver Street

Side note but Produce Box is great but I love using Papa Spud's, that's another option to consider.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:39 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
I really like Sprouts for their produce. Great prices and nice produce.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I really like Sprouts for their produce. Great prices and nice produce.

I like that they have a pretty big bulk section. Haven't been to one for a while. Do they still have it or got rid of it during Covid?

Old 08-16-2021, 01:56 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I like that they have a pretty big bulk section. Haven't been to one for a while. Do they still have it or got rid of it during Covid?
Sprouts still has bulk but it's all prepacked. I've been told they will repackage if you want a small amount,, but I've never bothered.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:40 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Based on suggestios - I tried Wegmans because we happened to be close on Sunday. Had some tasty carrots today with beautiful greens we used to top our dish.

I had all but forgotten about Weaver Street Market; it will be my next trip.

I also plan on checking out some of the other suggestions.

Oh and I'll definitely check into a CSA.

Eat your Veggies!

Old 08-16-2021, 08:18 PM

528 posts, read 934,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Based on suggestios - I tried Wegmans because we happened to be close on Sunday. Had some tasty carrots today with beautiful greens we used to top our dish.

I had all but forgotten about Weaver Street Market; it will be my next trip.

I also plan on checking out some of the other suggestions.

Oh and I'll definitely check into a CSA.

Eat your Veggies!
Right, if anything we’re all craving our veggies now. Everybody wins!

Old 08-17-2021, 06:10 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
I really like H Mart for produce. I don't get there often enough to give great, completely reliable feedback, but whenever I've gone I thought they had a really good selection of produce and the prices seemed fair. The produce section there is usually pretty busy too when I've gone, and I think that helps with freshness since they're constantly out there restocking it.
I love H mart but I need to be pickier there. My top choice for produce is Trader Joes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary