Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 03:55 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

There were a lot of people inside, but they only let people in who had purchased online, no shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 01:25 PM

66 posts, read 49,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just out of curiosity for the 30 year old here who hasn't been to Crabtree in 6 years but what shops/services do you go to at Crabtree?
In the last 10 years, I've gone twice. To the Apple store for a iphone repair. Because that's the only place they have the store. I have ZERO need for malls. I can get everything I need at big box stores, places like Cameron Village, or most often... online.

And Crabtree is the worst because it usually takes sitting through THREE light changes just to get on the mall property.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 PM

66 posts, read 49,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Belks.
Macy's.
Crocs.
Kitchen stuff.
Wife's Shoes.
I did pop into the Apple store once a few years ago, but was treated so poorly that won't ever happen again.

We do a lot online, but still like to fondle merchandise from time to time before buying.
These are my equivalents:
Macy's.---> Kohls
Crocs.---> Amazon
Kitchen stuff.---> Amazon or Whisk
Wife's Shoes.---> DSW
And I avoid the hassle of a mall. Pull up, walk in, get it, walk out. No dealing with crowds, long walks past other stores, noise.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:06 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
In the last 10 years, I've gone twice. To the Apple store for a iphone repair. Because that's the only place they have the store. I have ZERO need for malls. I can get everything I need at big box stores, places like Cameron Village, or most often... online.

And Crabtree is the worst because it usually takes sitting through THREE light changes just to get on the mall property.
Always enter from the backside of Crabtree. Take Crabtree Valley Ave just beyond Crabtree Creek, take the first right if coming from Creedmoor Road or 2nd left if coming from Blue Ridge Rd, then the next first right into the mall (you may need another right with recent development). Take the last left into the parking garage and you can easily find parking, and walk right in, either into Macy's or the food court.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:35 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Always enter from the backside of Crabtree. Take Crabtree Valley Ave just beyond Crabtree Creek, take the first right if coming from Creedmoor Road or 2nd left if coming from Blue Ridge Rd, then the next first right into the mall (you may need another right with recent development). Take the last left into the parking garage and you can easily find parking, and walk right in, either into Macy's or the food court.
Yeah I've never had much of an issue with CVM traffic or parking, except passing though at rush hour on the way home from work. That Blue Ridge Road / Glenwood intersection can be a PITA then. But I'm probably just conditioned to way worse and don't have a low tolerance to these things.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:11 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
On a related note, the former Sheraton property across Edwards Mill from CVM will apparently be developed as a 7-story apartment building. This was the proposed site for the 43-story Soleil Center.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:52 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
On a related note, the former Sheraton property across Edwards Mill from CVM will apparently be developed as a 7-story apartment building. This was the proposed site for the 43-story Soleil Center.
That 7 story building will have the most stoutly built foundation ever for something that size!

(For those that don’t know, they were basically done with all the foundation work for the 43 story building when the plug was pulled)

Old 02-23-2022, 12:12 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I know it’s in a flood plain. That’s why I asked the question. Why would someone buy a mall in a flood plain?
Because its prime real estate all the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
The traditional enclosed mall is a dinosaur. Every year, more and more shopping is done online, and covid simply accelerated that trend. North Hills is an excellent example of what can be done to an old, traditional outdated mall. The only reason the current owner is selling Crabtree Mall is, it too is a dinosaur. It will be interesting to see who buys it, how much the sales price is, and what their plans are.
Everyone says that, I'm not so convinced. There seems to be no shortage of people there when I'm there.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity for the 30 year old here who hasn't been to Crabtree in 6 years but what shops/services do you go to at Crabtree?
Personally, mostly the Apple Store, maybe Belk. My wife goes to a few more places. I remember Pottery Barn when we first bought the house and when we were registering for gifts. She will shop at Bath and Body works, Athleta, Lululemon, off the top of my head.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:56 AM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Because its prime real estate all the same.

Everyone says that, I'm not so convinced. There seems to be no shortage of people there when I'm there.

Personally, mostly the Apple Store, maybe Belk. My wife goes to a few more places. I remember Pottery Barn when we first bought the house and when we were registering for gifts. She will shop at Bath and Body works, Athleta, Lululemon, off the top of my head.
I agree with you. I don't go to Crabtree very often because I live on the other side of the triangle, but every time I go to either South point or Crabtree, the mall's packed. I'd be interested to look at the statistics, but I bet the rate at which mall closures are happening has slowed down. There were too many malls at one point, but the lesser malls have already bit the dust. The flagship malls seem to be doing just fine. There's plenty of people who like them.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:34 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
I haven't been in years but the stores I would go to were Belks, Macys and Arhaus.

When my daughter was a teen we spent A LOT of time there going to Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, Victoria Secrets and The Cheesecake Factory.

It will take a lot for me to go to a mall now. I just hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary