Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:15 PM

6,666 posts, read 5,644,527 times

Advertisements

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the premium is something that is set by the insurance provider and isn't really negotiable with the agent correct? The differences are just what each company values your risk of coverage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 02:23 PM

4,333 posts, read 6,035,948 times
Correct...the rates that determine premiums are set by the insurer and approved by the state. "Negotiations" with any one company are pretty much limited to making changes like adjusting coverages/deductibles or looking for discount opportunities like multi-policy or certain affiliations.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,185,263 times
15% is a very large increase. Did they move you to or are you currently on consent to rate? This would allow them to charge higher then the filed rates.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:39 PM

4,311 posts, read 4,771,903 times
The NC General Assembly created the NC Rate Bureau to consolidate the approval process for automobile and homeowners insurance rates (and some other types of insurance). All the companies that offer policies in NC must belong to the NCRB. The NCRB proposes rate increases to the NC Dept of Insurance, which typically grants a smaller increase than the NCRB asked for. The approved rates are the baseline for every insurance company. The companies do have some wiggle room to deviate from the approved rates, such as offering discounts to people who get both auto and homeowners from the same company.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:43 PM

640 posts, read 459,197 times
While the rates everywhere seems to have gone up (mine is +10%), the only way to "negotiate" a reduction is to ask your agent to check the rates from other companies. I presume in NC the companies do not all charge the same rates.

Don't be afraid to change the insurance companies if the savings are substantial (you decide what that is). Staying with one company has its pluses, but it doesn't hurt to at least find out what others would charge.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:47 AM

812 posts, read 838,293 times
I guess EVs are becoming more popular and they are more expensive than petrol cars to purchase and repair

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/19/why-...-business.html

Then if people start going with their car manufacturer for insurance in theory = smaller pool of people for/in other companies so = increased rates.

Currently I agree that general inflation, especially pronounced in the automotive sector, is leading to increased rates. It is going up just like everything else.

FWIW, we have been happy with Amica.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,967,464 times
I wonder if the uptick in crime (more specifically stolen cars and window breaks) in the area could be a contributor.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:20 AM

8,664 posts, read 9,204,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Gotta pay for all of those LiMu Emu ads somehow!
The more an insurance company advertises the more its going to cost you. Just recently I changed my car insurance. I had Allstate since 1988. In the last 2 years my rates doubled. Never an accident, one speeding ticket 20 years ago, two drivers, two cars, one old, one new.

I purposely searched out reputable insurance companies who advertised very little. The one I chose has a requirement that one needs to download an app onto a cellphone that tracts your driving skills. Its activated for 3 months then it deactivates and can be deleted. My wife and I performed this. We have saved more than half of what our premiums used to be, over $1000 per year.

Allstate wanted to keep our business, so their counter offer, if you want to call it that, was to attach permanently, devices that track your mileage. I declined.

Last edited by jmking; 02-22-2022 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-22-2022, 07:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,372,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
15% is a very large increase. Did they move you to or are you currently on consent to rate? This would allow them to charge higher then the filed rates.
That's so weird. Nothing has changes on our end. Live and work at the same place ...same cars for past five years....same coverage....not accidents or tickets....then WHAM 30% increase in premium in 2022.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:02 AM

4,311 posts, read 4,771,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I guess EVs are becoming more popular and they are more expensive than petrol cars to purchase and repair
Automobile mechanics aren't electricians... at least, they didn't have to be until now. Working with fuel lines is one thing. Working with 800 volt electrical systems is something else.

The drive motors for EVs are very expensive and can easily be damaged in a front end collision. In a gas-powered car, it's unlikely that the engine itself will be seriously damaged unless the wreck was so bad that the car was totaled.

But there are other issues with some EVs: https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20...tesla-model-3/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary