Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 07:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times

Advertisements

I am going to call my insurance carrier later today, but thought I would check in with this group becuase many of you have proven very knowledgable about insurance issues in the past. I was just looking at my recent monthly car insurance bill and notice my annual premium jumped by almost $360 a year. The thing is we have not had any tickets or accidents in over 5 years that would result in increases in our rates and we have had the same cars for several years now and have not added anything or modified our coverage in anyway. I have never seen my car insurance go up before unless there was some actionable event on my part. Did you notice a change in your bill too? Just curious if this is something related to changes in session law at the NC general assembly or if something is going on. I'll share what I find out from my insurer today but in the meantime I welcome any insights from this group! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 07:40 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
It's not just about your personal claims but also the claims of the whole group. Costs have significantly increased, as with everything else. You might have noticed the price of cars have skyrocketed. Insurers pay those higher costs when cars are totaled. Cost of parts have gone up, the labor to repair has gone up, etc.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
It is going up everywhere due to cost of used cars and lack of new cars.
cost of repairs/replacement go up !

Old 02-21-2022, 08:00 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am going to call my insurance carrier later today, but thought I would check in with this group becuase many of you have proven very knowledgable about insurance issues in the past. I was just looking at my recent monthly car insurance bill and notice my annual premium jumped by almost $360 a year. The thing is we have not had any tickets or accidents in over 5 years that would result in increases in our rates and we have had the same cars for several years now and have not added anything or modified our coverage in anyway. I have never seen my car insurance go up before unless there was some actionable event on my part. Did you notice a change in your bill too? Just curious if this is something related to changes in session law at the NC general assembly or if something is going on. I'll share what I find out from my insurer today but in the meantime I welcome any insights from this group! Thanks!
It would be useful to know what % increase that is. 5%, 50%?

Lots of inflation, especially in things related to automotive.

The increases all require state approval so there can be a number of possible issues. (Inflation, new laws, updated rating zones etc. etc. etc.)

Your insurance agent should be able to explain exactly why in a short call.

My homeowners went way up a while back, it was due to a lot of hail in the area in the previous year or two.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:06 AM

The increases all require state approval so there can be a number of possible issues. (Inflation, new laws, updated rating zones etc. etc. etc.)
are you sure?
This is not pipelines?

Old 02-21-2022, 08:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
The added $360 a year represents a 15% increase in our premium. I am used to seeing out homeowners insurance go up each year, but this is the first time I have seen our car insurance go up when we haven't added a new car etc...

But thanks for the explanations...that makes sense about overall claims against the group and the climbing prices of cars including used cars. I guess I got too used to depreciation of our cars over time, but these are unusual times. I will still call my insurance today for more details but I think you may have nailed it! Thanks!

Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 AM

dont forget they have to give raises to their workers,Allstate workers are now getting $18/hour

Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
1. I just had a $0 Deductible $450 windshield replacement on Friday. Someone had to pick up the tab.
Thanks, NRG.

2. First ever bump in rates? Shop it. When the insurer decides you are comfortable, they start to pick at your pocketbook a bit.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:57 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,888,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Get quotes from other insurance carriers for the exact same coverage that you have now and that will tell you if you're being ripped off. BTW...my rate actually went down for this year. It also helps if you have both home and auto insurance with the same carrier as well as multicar discounts.

Homeowners insurance rates did increase this year because of the sky rocketing home values and replacement cost increases due to inflation.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:24 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
In January renewal: a slight increase in one car, slight decrease in other car. Pretty much washed out each other. 2015 camry, 2020 Corolla, both driven less that 7000 miles a year.

Homeowners went up about $20. Umbrella went down $60, BUT the company changed the coverage. Otherwise it would have stayed exactly the same. I was haven the choice of which plan I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary