Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 09:47 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
The only thing that holds me back from getting insurance quotes periodically is that they ask for your social and want to do a credit check. I'm not concerned about my credit score being an issue (it's over 800), I just don't want a hit on it. They tell me it is a "soft" hit and won't hurt it but I just have a hard time trusting.

I've also heard horrible things about some other insurance companies when people tried to submit a claim (MIL with Allstate and some neighbors with other companies). While I have never submitted one, I know several people with with my carrier (USAA) and they have never had any issues with them. No haggling, no denials and the process was so easy. I have heard good things though about Amica.
Yes! Price-shopping with lower tier servicers is all well and good, until the poop hits the prop and you need support.
I know we are overpaying with State Farm for our bundle, and may price shop it later in the year, but it won't be with the Emu or the Gecko or The General.

I want claims to be handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 10:03 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,598,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes! Price-shopping with lower tier servicers is all well and good, until the poop hits the prop and you need support.
I know we are overpaying with State Farm for our bundle, and may price shop it later in the year, but it won't be with the Emu or the Gecko or The General.

I want claims to be handled.
Yes, obviously you want to stick with well-known and reputable insurance companies but there's definitely still price differences amongst the major providers!

I checked with Amica, Farm Bureau, Erie, and Nationwide this last time.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
Good points about sticking with reputable insurance companies. I've already received some great suggestions via DM but does anybody have a local agent they would recommend? I'm interested in bundling car-homeowners-life insurance at the same place and was thinking it would be easier to sit down and talk face to face with somebody vs trying to do it all online or over ther phone.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
From someone in the business, I'd make that leap in a heartbeat.
Homeowners renewal just came back from USAA as well. Premium increase of 50% over last year (no homeowners claims ever). Roof is now 20 years old so that is some of the increase but consent to rate rearing it's head is the majority of it as they are charging me $500 more than NC insurance bureau allows.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:30 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,943,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Homeowners renewal just came back from USAA as well. Premium increase of 50% over last year (no homeowners claims ever). Roof is now 20 years old so that is some of the increase but consent to rate rearing it's head is the majority of it as they are charging me $500 more than NC insurance bureau allows.
Due to your post I checked mine since I'm also with USAA. Mine went up $128 however the difference between what NC states would be the approved rate and the premium that USAA is charging is $278. They also included some notes about my roof. Really kind of irks me because like you we have never submitted a claim for any house we have owned and we did not get our roof fixed like just about everyone else on our street did.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
I don't understand raising your premium because your roof is old. They shouldn't be covering old roofs at all, that's their problem. The right solution to the problem is to stop paying out millions and millions of dollars to people with 20+ year old roofs. They shouldn't be in the business of maintaining people's homes for them.

People need to start complaining about this stuff.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,943,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't understand raising your premium because your roof is old. They shouldn't be covering old roofs at all, that's their problem. The right solution to the problem is to stop paying out millions and millions of dollars to people with 20+ year old roofs. They shouldn't be in the business of maintaining people's homes for them.

People need to start complaining about this stuff.
Well my roof isn't 20+ years old but I get your point. Regardless of them mentioning the roof the real issue is the Consent to Rate statute. Mine was higher last year as well due to this and that had no mention of my roof. IMO my rates have gone up to pay for all the new roofs my neighbors got.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:26 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Well my roof isn't 20+ years old but I get your point. Regardless of them mentioning the roof the real issue is the Consent to Rate statute. Mine was higher last year as well due to this and that had no mention of my roof. IMO my rates have gone up to pay for all the new roofs my neighbors got.
I agree with you about the Consent to Rate statutes being part of the premium increases - a big part. One that USAA has taken full advantage of, and IMO used it to kinda screw theirvery loyal customers.

I'm not so convinced it's paying for new roofs that's the problem. I'm more inclined to say the increases are paying for their booming level of advertising.

As I've said before, I was a loyal customer and cheerleader for USAA for 45 years. The only good thing I got out of NY first marriage was access to USAA and a great cat. Price increases drove me away 3 years ago. Happy customer with Erie.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:07 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree with you about the Consent to Rate statutes being part of the premium increases - a big part. One that USAA has taken full advantage of, and IMO used it to kinda screw theirvery loyal customers.

I'm not so convinced it's paying for new roofs that's the problem. I'm more inclined to say the increases are paying for their booming level of advertising.

As I've said before, I was a loyal customer and cheerleader for USAA for 45 years. The only good thing I got out of NY first marriage was access to USAA and a great cat. Price increases drove me away 3 years ago. Happy customer with Erie.
Roofs are definitely a huge part of the problem in this area.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
So I am kinda hijacking my own thread, and I know this has been discussed on this forum in the past, but talk to me like I am a 5th grader. I own a home that is 18 years old. I have homeowners insurance. I see many people on my street getting new roofs. At least a handful have shared that they had their insurance pay for it. Am I totally off base here, but if I were to submit a claim to my insurance to replace an 18 year old roof...wouldn't they drop me as a customer the next time my insurance has to be renewed? Or would they just raise my rates? What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary