Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:35 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some people have personal pride in their homes and want to deliver them in great shape. Some people have an ethical tilt that they want to convey a house in great operating condition.
I have a degree of personal pride and a degree of ethical behavior. Even if given a no-contingency contract sight-unseen with no real estate agent involved, I wouldn't sell a house that I knew was unsafe. But it seems to me that the days of doing a bathroom renovation, for example, just to make a house sell are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 08:45 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I have a degree of personal pride and a degree of ethical behavior. Even if given a no-contingency contract sight-unseen with no real estate agent involved, I wouldn't sell a house that I knew was unsafe. But it seems to me that the days of doing a bathroom renovation, for example, just to make a house sell are gone.
Well, folks run the gamut from complete greed to completely unnecessary investment.

I often talk people off the ledge of doing a $25000 renovation because they think it will show better.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:03 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
shoo wee 5% interest im gonna claim a victory here

Old 04-06-2022, 01:50 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
shoo wee 5% interest im gonna claim a victory here
Don't be Leon Lett, now.....

Old 04-06-2022, 05:20 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
I often talk people off the ledge of doing a $25000 renovation because they think it will show better.
Can't rep you.. but yeah, thanks.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:47 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Well, folks run the gamut from complete greed to completely unnecessary investment.

I always thought most of those were HGTV driven (on both sides) and am always skeptical of how much value they add, especially if the existing item is still functional, but just out of date.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:00 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I suppose in a very tilted buyer’s market you could possibly see it pay off in the right circumstances, if the house just showed really badly and you were able to economically do something to correct that, but most of the HGTV shows are just making up numbers when it comes to the cost of things and how much they theoretically add to the sale price.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:40 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
HGTV is pure entertainment. To some extent, so is This Old House -- but it has some credibility too. Zero credibility to anything I see on HGTV.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:11 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
HGTV is pure entertainment. To some extent, so is This Old House -- but it has some credibility too. Zero credibility to anything I see on HGTV.
HGTV has been a big boost for the reno biz. Unfortunately many shows on HGTV are more glitz than skilz....never mind reality.

About 6-7 years ago we looked at some houses in Chatham County. A year later we saw 2 houses we looked at featured on a Love it or List It episode. Prices quoted in the episode for those 2 house was about $200K lower than what they were listed and ultimately sold for. I also look closely at the reno workmanship......sure hope issues I see get fixed after the film crew left. Also, post reno valuations are crap.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:21 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
HGTV has been a big boost for the reno biz. Unfortunately many shows on HGTV are more glitz than skilz....never mind reality.

About 6-7 years ago we looked at some houses in Chatham County. A year later we saw 2 houses we looked at featured on a Love it or List It episode. Prices quoted in the episode for those 2 house was about $200K lower than what they were listed and ultimately sold for. I also look closely at the reno workmanship......sure hope issues I see get fixed after the film crew left. Also, post reno valuations are crap.
During early COVID quarantine; I binge watched pretty much all of the Triangle-based episodes on Love It or List It (basically the last 5 seasons) and used context clues an the pause button to find most of the homes in MLS history that the homeowners were "Debating" and pretty much all of the listings that David showed them to convince them to "list it"...

The valuations of the "problem" houses were pretty much always initially bery low for the market at the time and then laughably high for the market at the time after the renos.

The houses that David showed were generally stale listings that had issues you couldn't see in filming but would be very obvious when touring the home (next to tire shops, priced way too high, backing to 540, insanely sloped lot, etc)

That part actually made more practical sense as in the later seasons of the show; the Triangle market was already a fast-moving sellers market for well priced homes that showed well...and thus it would be pretty difficult to find listings that remained active long enough to schedule a production-showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary