Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 08:57 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

You sure it wasn't just on a test drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 06:03 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I haven't leased in a few decades. I would pay those fees on any leased vehicle, wouldn't I?
Yes, you would, and sometimes a lot more. The real fun and games happens at "lease turn-in", where they can charge for cosmetic damage, etc.

Even with the Leith fees, this is still a pretty decent lease, just not for me.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:06 AM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
A lot of people now working from home and retirees moving here that don’t put on a lot of miles. About every ad I’ve seen for a lease is 10k miles. Don’t forget you would be saving about $4000 in gas. There are a lot of people out there now that can’t afford a new car any other way.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:27 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I saw a VinFast today! Green one around 4 PM in the Ten-Ten area where it crosses US-1. So Leith is moving some metal.
I saw it last fall not far from there....

Old 01-26-2024, 08:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I saw a VinFast today! Green one around 4 PM in the Ten-Ten area where it crosses US-1. So Leith is moving some metal.
They've sold / leased 15 cars so far, with a big acceleration after the lease deal was introduced. The Vinfast deals in CA and NC are now one of the cheapest lease deals in the entire country. You can't even lease a little Kia Soul cute-ute with bare bones features for that little.

Vinfast didn't sell many cars this year and missed their year end estimates so are going to offer heavy discounts to meet their sales projections. How long they can sustain selling the cars at a big loss is anybody's guess.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:36 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
They've sold / leased 15 cars so far, with a big acceleration after the lease deal was introduced. The Vinfast deals in CA and NC are now one of the cheapest lease deals in the entire country. You can't even lease a little Kia Soul cute-ute with bare bones features for that little.

Vinfast didn't sell many cars this year and missed their year end estimates so are going to offer heavy discounts to meet their sales projections. How long they can sustain selling the cars at a big loss is anybody's guess.
It takes time to establish business and growth in a new market area much less the EV market, so I'm sure they've accounted for having a slow start. I remember when Hyundai first cam to the US. Their cars were junk and they were competing against Toyota which was hugely popular with consumers at the time but look where Hyundai is today.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:47 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
It takes time to establish business and growth in a new market area much less the EV market, so I'm sure they've accounted for having a slow start. I remember when Hyundai first cam to the US. Their cars were junk and they were competing against Toyota which was hugely popular with consumers at the time but look where Hyundai is today.
When Toyota began selling cars across the U.S., many people laughed. "Made in Japan". By the late 1970s, no one in Detroit was laughing any more.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
When Toyota began selling cars across the U.S., many people laughed. "Made in Japan". By the late 1970s, no one in Detroit was laughing any more.
OTOH - I remember when a co-worker bought a Yugo in the 80s. After a week or so, his wife called and said the car had suddenly died. What they thought was a car getting great gas mileage turned out to be a defective gas gauge, as it had simply run out of gas. It went downhill from there.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:02 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
OTOH - I remember when a co-worker bought a Yugo in the 80s. After a week or so, his wife called and said the car had suddenly died. What they thought was a car getting great gas mileage turned out to be a defective gas gauge, as it had simply run out of gas. It went downhill from there.
The big question on Vinfast is will they be a Toyota / Hyundai / Honda or will they be a Yugo / Suzuki / Daihatsu / Daewoo / Mahindra / Izuzu. While some brands entered the US successfully, it isn't a slam dunk and many have failed. Mitsubishi is hanging on in the US market at low scale too, but hardly a success story ~100,000 units / year.

We'll see what happens! Offering your cars priced well below competitors is definitely a good strategy to make a name for yourself and encourage adoption.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:23 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I bought a 1990 Diahatsu Charade when I was 20. My first car that wasn’t given to me by my parents. It was a good little car. Had a 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine and got killer gas mileage. Less than $7000 and the payments were $133.82, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary