Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 09:59 PM

808 posts, read 691,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
The Vietnamese should never be underestimated. The French and American forces also took them lightly. I remember laughing at the Japanese cars in the 1970s. You know how that turned out.
I will be absolutely stunned if Vinfast survives into the 2030s (at least in the US). Tesla was an extreme anomaly that benefited from being in the right place at the exact right time with an enigmatic leader. Now that the legacy automakers are beginning to roll out EVs, the window of opportunity for electric startups has all but slammed shut. It will likely take an industry-altering breakthrough in battery range or vehicle cost for a newcomer to survive at this point, and it is extremely unlikely that any other recent EV startups are still around in 2030 aside from Lucid and Rivian, and even those aren't sure bets at this point. Obviously I'm not rooting for Vinfast to fail but I've followed cars for basically my whole life and there's a reason why we hardly ever see brand new automakers; it's next to impossible to break into a literally multi-trillion dollar industry without existing name recognition. Especially in today's market where buyers demand so much from their cars, and put far too much emphasis on the status and image that their cars project.

Hyundai/Kia made their entry into the US back when buyers weren't so demanding, and could still carve out a niche as being the discount player against relatively more established competition from the likes of Honda, Toyota, and similar. Many entry-level cars back in the 80s/early 90s didn't come standard with air conditioning or even power steering, two features that are essentially required equipment in all cars today regardless of price point, which opened the door just enough for the Koreans to squeeze through. The automotive landscape is so different now that new automakers (especially electric ones) either have to be the first to market with something, offer substantially greater range than anyone else, or offer a substantially lower price. Vinfast offers literally none of that, plus comes from a country with basically no well-known international conglomerates, AND has a terrible name (sounds like a scammy Carfax ripoff). Vinfast's business plan has seemingly changed abruptly several times in only a few years of operation, and much of what I have read suggests that there is an incredible amount of respect in Vietnam granted to anyone who can sell a product in America, which is resulting in Vinfast's goal being more or less that they want to sell a car in America compared to actually producing a good car that can be sold in America at some point in the future. A number of much more successful Chinese automakers have been trying to break into the American market for about two decades now with literally no success whatsoever aside from buying Volvo and Lotus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 06:08 AM

342 posts, read 298,187 times
No building at the site yet as of last week. Still doing grading. They are suppose to be building cars by when??

Old 01-31-2024, 06:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,154 times
I have seen a few Vinfast's driving around town now, one was a dealer tag (NC) and one was a michigan manufacture tag.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:17 AM

183 posts, read 97,389 times
Review of a Vinfast......local content.

I Bought A VinFast VF8! After The Terrible Buying Experience, The Car Had A Software Meltdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90qmaYjcIw

Old 01-31-2024, 08:40 AM

387 posts, read 437,079 times
dang - that's an hour and 15 minutes worth of content. anyone have a lot of time and care to summarize haha

Old 01-31-2024, 09:31 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,994,927 times
It took them 4 days to buy the car because Leith halted delivering any cars due to an issue with their computers that program the car's computers prior to delivery. When they gave Leith an ultimatum that either they were getting a car that final day (he had a flight to catch), Leith finally agreed that if they drove the car for 10 miles and it didn't blow up, they could have it.

They got their car, and on the way to a charging station, the infotainment system completely froze up. And it took multiple calls to figure out how to reset the whole thing and get it working again. While it was frozen up, the car couldn't even be locked.

That's about as far as they've gotten with it.

Oh, and the zero down turned into about $6,000 with fees and other stuff. Apparently a lot of it had to do with registering the car in Colorado and he thinks it wasn't done right and is expecting to get money back once they straighten things out with Colorado. Good luck to him.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:46 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
No building at the site yet as of last week. Still doing grading. They are suppose to be building cars by when??
2025 in theory... though Vinfast seems to be redirecting some of their energy back to Southeast Asia and their new plant in Indonesia. I suspect they won't announce any delays to the US plant until they have completed their next round of raising capital and cash to maintain ongoing operations in 2024, including the $1 billion stock pump and dump agreement with Yorkville Advisors. We should have a better need of their capital needs when they report Q4 results. At the end of Q3 they had burned through $1.8 billion to reach a cash position of only $158 million. How much more they burned through in Q4 will be informative for their ability to build a $4 billion factory in NC (which ultimately requires cash or even more debt).

Last edited by CLT4; 01-31-2024 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 09:51 AM

183 posts, read 97,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
dang - that's an hour and 15 minutes worth of content.
That's just part one....could have been 20 minutes shorter with better editing.

The lady is driving Vinny back home to TN (company which owns the vehicle is based in CO) .........the family Tesla serving as backup vehicle.

I watch Out of Spec Reviews from time to time. I think they do a pretty good job reviewing vehicles.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:50 AM

104 posts, read 65,303 times
Quote:
Are the state committed to infrastructure construction/improvements underway (water, sewer, and road)? How about Duke Progress work?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:05 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,885,558 times
Quote:
I guess maybe their name should be changed to Vinslow...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary