Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 02:45 PM

370 posts, read 230,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I have seen a few Vinfast's driving around town now, one was a dealer tag (NC) and one was a michigan manufacture tag.
Most likely its just the dealership driving the car to prevent flat spots and battery degradation, or a car that is loaned out to high performing sales people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 02:50 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,997,280 times
Out of Spec said in their video that there were a number of people there looking to sign leases, most of them fully aware of VinFast's issues but willing to take a chance given the bargain pricing. Of course, the computer problem was preventing any of those people from actually going home with one over the weekend, but they said the people didn't seem too put out by having to wait.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:15 AM

342 posts, read 299,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
Are the state committed to infrastructure construction/improvements underway (water, sewer, and road)? How about Duke Progress work?

Haven't seen any road construction going on yet. Not sure about duke. There is a main set of powerlines that run right by the site already

Old 02-01-2024, 07:45 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,498,175 times
Vinfast has supposedly redone the springs and struts and fixed many of the sw issues to actually make the car somewhat decent. For the price it probably should be better, but for the lease price it might be a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCQ588ZeQQ

Old 02-01-2024, 07:47 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,997,280 times
NCDOT is in the offer stage on buying out the properties it would need to make the interchange and access improvements. They've already done some repaving of existing local roads.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...283741973.html

NCDOT has spent about $18 million of the $200 million budgeted for road improvements so far.

The agreement with VinFast required construction to start to go vertical by January 1, and apparently the state says they've met that requirement.

The state provided $125 million toward site improvements on the property, and they can claw some or all of that back based on which targets of the agreement VinFast fails to meet.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...284546995.html

Old 02-01-2024, 07:57 AM

183 posts, read 97,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Haven't seen any road construction going on yet.
I ride down that way often and there certainly was work done on existing area roads. Once I thought I could get through a section of old 1....nope, all torn up and back/around Pea Ridge I went.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:14 AM

104 posts, read 65,473 times
If Vinfast not reach its goals, could perhaps the land be used for several residential communities, once the utilities are run? It wouldn't be that bad a drive to RTP and close by shopping (via Route 1), and for seniors, a facility bus ride to Raleigh/Durham shows & events.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:22 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
If Vinfast not reach its goals, could perhaps the land be used for several residential communities, once the utilities are run? It wouldn't be that bad a drive to RTP and close by shopping (via Route 1), and for seniors, a facility bus ride to Raleigh/Durham shows & events.

The plan was to create an industrial site, whether taken by Vinfast or another industry.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:47 AM

183 posts, read 97,916 times
Quote:
If Vinfast not reach its goals, could perhaps the land be used for several residential communities, once the utilities are run?
Zone industrial. The area reeks.

Brick factory, veneer and mdf type manufacturing in the area all create unpleasant smells.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:39 AM

370 posts, read 230,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Out of Spec said in their video that there were a number of people there looking to sign leases, most of them fully aware of VinFast's issues but willing to take a chance given the bargain pricing. Of course, the computer problem was preventing any of those people from actually going home with one over the weekend, but they said the people didn't seem too put out by having to wait.
When I worked at Best Buy almost 15 years ago, they profiled customers according to how much they would spend. I don't remember the names they assigned to various customer types, but the company's favorite are those who always have to have "the latest and greatest" technology or whatever the "It" item is at the time. Those people are more likely to take a risk on a new technology and have the money to always upgrade when a new model car or phone comes out. So, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Vehicles cannot go for extended intervals without being used, and EVs especially so. Ford had to cut the prices on the Lightning truck because once the early adopters bought theirs, they found a soft market for them (surprise! not). The trucks haven't been profitable, and at a certain point its better to just lease at a loss than it is to hold onto the inventory.

Tesla is the only EV manufacturer I see surviving long term. Elon got in early and got a ton of investor money for many years even while operating at a loss but now is profitable. I would like to see Tesla introduce a hybrid car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary