Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 09:54 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Garnet thanks for your info. You are in the category for which ebikes were created and have great value. Part of my perspective is from visiting touristy areas out of state where there are ebike rentals. Kids get on and don’t have any practice ahead of time. Neighborhoods next to parks have kids who don’t know how to stop going as fast as they can on trails then oops someone is coming the other way. So most adults do tend to be aware and only a few aren’t sober. There is also the potential situation with dogwalkers and youngsters examining things next to the trail. Speeding anything puts them at risk.

So my actual comment is not to get rid of ebikes lol. It is that a rider should perhaps be certified in order to use them. Learn the rules of encounters with others. Show you can stop and pay attention. Easy for licensed adults and maybe automatic. But most youngsters could benefit from this. As could the rest of us who are casually walking on greenways and don’t want to be frequently on the alert as we attempt to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 10:40 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Fatty with a e-bike here. We don’t go fast. The cyclists who road train 20-30mph on the greenway are far more dangerous.

Also I’m pretty sure I’ve been on Cary’s greenways already and no one cared. We entered one greenway at a Cary park. South side of Umstead.
Cyclist who used to be a roadie here, and I agree 100% that "road training" on the greenway is the worst. They give the rest of us cyclist a bad name.

Other misinformation:

I'm pretty sure e-bikes have been allowed on the greeways for a while, but only pedal assist
They don't damage paved trails anymore than bikes or hikers, not nearly as bad as horses on ATT

To me, the biggest fear/danger are the users (walk/run/bike/etc) who have headphones on and don't pay attention. These people don't hear the call-outs (on your left), they don't hear the bells, and they don't know what's coming up behind them. Too many close calls with these people.

(Unattended kids are a close second, as are dogs on retractable leashes, which is illegal if it's over 6')

On my bike, I watch out for all of them. Never assume they hear you!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:59 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Raleigh has been allowing pedal-assist, but Cary was not.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
People wear earphones outside or are on their phones. It seems we have to deal with it. In what other setting would you expect to run people over for not paying attention?

Old 05-20-2022, 03:09 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
People wear earphones outside or are on their phones. It seems we have to deal with it. In what other setting would you expect to run people over for not paying attention?
Who is running anyone over? You make it sound like it is a common occurrence on the greenways that those riding bikes are mowing down pedestrians. I really don't think that is the case.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Who is running anyone over? You make it sound like it is a common occurrence on the greenways that those riding bikes are mowing down pedestrians. I really don't think that is the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Cyclist who used to be a roadie here, and I agree 100% that "road training" on the greenway is the worst. They give the rest of us cyclist a bad name.

Other misinformation:

I'm pretty sure e-bikes have been allowed on the greeways for a while, but only pedal assist
They don't damage paved trails anymore than bikes or hikers, not nearly as bad as horses on ATT

To me, the biggest fear/danger are the users (walk/run/bike/etc) who have headphones on and don't pay attention. These people don't hear the call-outs (on your left), they don't hear the bells, and they don't know what's coming up behind them. Too many close calls with these people.

(Unattended kids are a close second, as are dogs on retractable leashes, which is illegal if it's over 6')

On my bike, I watch out for all of them. Never assume they hear you!
rfb, I was referring to what Myghost said. That you have to watch out for distracted people. It doesn't matter if you are on an eBike or regular bike. It's the same with walking. If someone doesn't see you, do you walk around them, or shove them out of the way? I would assume you walk around them. A bike has to slow down for someone who is not paying attention.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:20 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
If you’re on a greenway system where walkers, runners, horses, bikes and goats (I’ve seen them more than once) are all on the same trail, everyone has to do their part to keep things safe. That includes calling out to people as you pass, as well as being able to hear others as they pass you. If you want to zone out listing via headphones, you need to then be moving very predictably on the far right side to ensure others that come up don’t hurt you or them trying to pass. Just like those passing should move to the left, call out and predictably pass with as much distance that is possible, of course trying not to hit someone coming the other way.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If you’re on a greenway system where walkers, runners, horses, bikes and goats (I’ve seen them more than once) are all on the same trail, everyone has to do their part to keep things safe. That includes calling out to people as you pass, as well as being able to hear others as they pass you. If you want to zone out listing via headphones, you need to then be moving very predictably on the far right side to ensure others that come up don’t hurt you or them trying to pass.
In general I agree that people should look out and pay attention. But I'm not sure it's reasonable to think that people *won't* be listening to music or won't be on a phone call. I have to wonder if any bike riders listen to music.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:48 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
People who have headphones on are usually distracted by whatever they are listening to or by whoever they are talking to that they don't have spatial awareness of where they are on the trail - so you can mean to pass them but then sometimes they wander into your passing lane and make things difficult. It's even worse if they have pets and aren't aware where they are on the trail.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Cyclist should call out or ring their bell before they pass not as they wiz by. Walkers need a second to resister it and react if needed and cyclist need enough time to adjust to anything unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary