Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Well this has turned into your typical City Data thread......
It’s always the same poster doing this, I’ve noticed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 05:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Pedestrians don't have the right of way. Cyclists must yield the right of way to pedestrians. That may mean having to slow to a crawl or come to a complete stop before passing safely.

The trails are open to the public and everyone has a right to use them, and there's a wide range of pedestrians there with varying levels of experience, knowledge, and abilities. Cyclist, especially experienced adult ones, should not expect to be able to maintain speed down the trail and should absolutely be looking out for pedestrians since it's their responsibly to yield to them.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I am having PTSD flashbacks to a looong CD discussion/debate about kids playing in the streets.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:22 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Well this has turned into your typical City Data thread......
Why can't I find a good slice of pizza on the greenways?!

With regards to listening to music/podcasts/fanfiction/whatever on a speaker vs with earbuds.....that's gonna be a no from me dawg. Imagine everyone on the trail blaring their own sound on a speaker. Obnoxious. Obviously if you are in a public place and have headphones in.... burden of being aware of your surroundings is still on you.

I'm about 5 minutes from the Glenwood entrance at Umstead and less than 10 from Lake Lynn loop; I generally visit each at least once a week for at least a 5 mile walk with the pup (and yes; with earbuds in).

While I do appreciate the fact Umstead has separate trails for hikers and cyclists/horse people..... I have yet to have an issue with cyclists barreling into me OR the pup on Lake Lynn. Now the one-wheelers/hoverboards......

Old 05-25-2022, 09:40 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

With regards to listening to music/podcasts/fanfiction/whatever on a speaker vs with earbuds.....that's gonna be a no from me dawg. Imagine everyone on the trail blaring their own sound on a speaker. Obnoxious. Obviously if you are in a public place and have headphones in.... burden of being aware of your surroundings is still on you.

I'm about 5 minutes from the Glenwood entrance at Umstead and less than 10 from Lake Lynn loop; I generally visit each at least once a week for at least a 5 mile walk with the pup (and yes; with earbuds in).

While I do appreciate the fact Umstead has separate trails for hikers and cyclists/horse people..... I have yet to have an issue with cyclists barreling into me OR the pup on Lake Lynn. Now the one-wheelers/hoverboards......
Why no pizza on the greenway? Because there are no restrooms and people would get greasy hands and have accidents riding their ebikes because they can't hold on to the handlebars.

/s

(That's a joke. In case there was any confusion.)

Old 05-25-2022, 10:37 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
... ......
This issue demands investigation. It DEMANDS investigation!

Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This issue demands investigation. It DEMANDS investigation!
Grand Street Pizza in Knightdale - right near the end of the Mingo Creek Trail

Old 05-25-2022, 11:00 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:

I occasionally walk a similar trail at Apex Community Park and have never had an issue with cyclists there either. I think that's because they tend to be more casual recreational riders.

But while most are decent, I've encountered quite a few rather aggressive and careless spandex shorts type cyclists on the ATT and Neuse River Greenway, sometimes in packs. Fortunately, I stay very alert and have taught my kids to follow the rules (and still look out for my youngest), so we've never actually gotten hit. But we've had and seen some startling close calls.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:27 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I occasionally walk a similar trail at Apex Community Park and have never had an issue with cyclists there either. I think that's because they tend to be more casual recreational riders.

But while most are decent, I've encountered quite a few rather aggressive and careless spandex shorts type cyclists on the ATT and Neuse River Greenway, sometimes in packs. Fortunately, I stay very alert and have taught my kids to follow the rules (and still look out for my youngest), so we've never actually gotten hit. But we've had and seen some startling close calls.
The funny thing is that some of the aggressive and careless spandex shorts type cyclists actually despise e-bike riders - I've heard stories of these cyclists harassing recreational e-bikers and calling them "cheaters". So some of them are just *******s in general

Old 05-25-2022, 01:26 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that some of the aggressive and careless spandex shorts type cyclists actually despise e-bike riders - I've heard stories of these cyclists harassing recreational e-bikers and calling them "cheaters". So some of them are just *******s in general
I’ve definitely picked up that type of attitude toward e-bike users as well. It kind of sucks for them as they catch grief from people on bikes and from runners and walkers. Like anything else it only takes a few entitled jerks to ruin it for everyone, runner, biker, walker, whatever.

I’ve only ever used an e-bike in Paris where we did a tour using them. It was pretty convenient as we covered something like 30 kilometers and people who were not exactly daily bike riders were able to come along. (Though there was a learning curve for some, LOL) I ended up turning off the assist if we were not going long distance as it was just easier to simply use pedal power anywhere me might have to start and stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary