Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:00 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Even that is acknowledgement (and much appreciated). When I see you move, even slightly, I know that YOU know I'm there.

The worst is when a bike waits till the last second, the walker is surprised, and they step INTO the path. It happens, which is why I always ring early and often.
I think it’s cute how you have a bell. I tell the kids in my neighborhood to say beep beep when they are behind someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 11:48 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
I will admit (half-jokingly), that my music choice does matter.

I've found that some good classics like the Beatles, or some happy swing/jazz is much better received than blaring gangster rap and death-metal turned up to "11".

^I don't really listen to either rap or metal, but truth, I find that playing family friendly, happy/uplifting music usually gets a smile out of most trail users. And it absolutely does help to alert my approach. People turn around early to see what's coming, and it creates safety. I use a bell AND call out "on your left". I think people are so immune to both that they often don't even hear or process it.

The other huge factor (for newer trail users info) is to do this early because:
1. If you don't get confirmation that they heard you, you have more chances to alert them
2. THey have more time to process what is going on, and react appropriately
3. You don't scare the bejeepers out of others, they don't appreciate that
4. If they still don't hear you, then you come to stop if you have to. Might suck, but better than hurting someone.

Also, message to others who HEAR the bell, call-out or music: Please acknowledge you heard it. A simple waive of the hand ('thanks') let's the notifier know you're aware, and then everyone (EVERYONE) can pass each other safely. If we all work together, everyone can enjoy the trails.

My uplifting message for the day.
Quote:
Even that is acknowledgement (and much appreciated). When I see you move, even slightly, I know that YOU know I'm there.

The worst is when a bike waits till the last second, the walker is surprised, and they step INTO the path. It happens, which is why I always ring early and often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I think it’s cute how you have a bell. I tell the kids in my neighborhood to say beep beep when they are behind someone.
I wish more people had bells or used them. almost a dozen bikes overtook me over the course of my walk yesterday (mostly in twos or threes) and I don't think any used a bell. Three bikes collectively seem to make enough noise but a single cyclist often doesn't til they're right up on me. And frequently they're the ones going fastest.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:52 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The horse people don't get in the way much....it's just what they leave behind.

My dog drops a deuce on the side of the trail and I pick it up in a bag and throw it away in the nearest trash receptacle (I still can't wrap my head around the mindset of folks who bag the poop and then leave the bag on the side of the trail. Why just why?).... meanwhile horses are leaving behind giant piles in the middle of the trail and we've just decided that it's socially acceptable. Hmph.
I think there’s a group that comes around to pick the horse poop up in the evening but yeah it is pretty gross sometimes.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:03 PM

18,043 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Many ebikes I've seen that are intended for basic cycling, not for motorsport, mountain biking or other specialities, do have bells, (but not all).

I think it's an important safety tool for any cyclist. There are louder bells to be had, digital ones, as well as the ones people think of when they think of a standard old-fashioned bicycle bell.

The most aggressive of cyclists tend to be MAMILs (middle-age men in lycra) or those who ride in packs. Those are not ebike riders.

---------------------

Those who tend to be bully-types who might be inclined to call out "cheater," will immediately back off when asked what they have against people who aren't sitting their arses on the couch, but instead are actually outside, getting exercise, getting their heart rates into the proper aerobic zone, recovering from injury or surgery to knees, hips, etc. They're not entering races. They're not winning awards, they're not even beating the diehard MAMILs on their race bikes. Who exactly are they 'cheating?'

Old 05-26-2022, 07:09 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
* loud noises * argggggggh * flails arms *
lol someone's all angsty about my post and is off using the rep system for their own insecure level of stupid again.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:39 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
lol someone's all angsty about my post and is off using the rep system for their own insecure level of stupid again.
Is there a difference between NextDoor and City Data? They seem pretty similar to me. I check CD more often.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:49 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The most aggressive of cyclists tend to be MAMILs (middle-age men in lycra) or those who ride in packs. Those are not ebike riders.
You might be surprised. I see ever increasing number of "ebikes" on 50+ mile road group rides. Most use the assist on climbs so they can keep up with friends who have healthier knee's, etc.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:20 AM

18,043 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
edited.

You might be surprised. I see ever increasing number of "ebikes" on 50+ mile road group rides. Most use the assist on climbs so they can keep up with friends who have healthier knee's, etc.
And? How does that make the ebikers aggressive?

That's what some are positing here. Their emotional response is there's a problem with ebikes and the people who ride them (or will be) and the fact riders have pedal assist on a bike when they need to use it, is somehow inherently dangerous, unfair, or both.

Reality: that ebiker is usually physically *weaker* than the typical serious cyclists or weekend cyclist warriors. Or, some use ebikes instead of driving. To run errands, to commute to a job.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
I got the exact same message

Old 05-28-2022, 08:40 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Just when you thought things couldn’t get any weirder…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary