Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 09:16 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times

Advertisements

The coverage is kind of spotty, but overall okay. I'm on my friend's family plan, so I only pay $25/mo. It's worth it for me. It does have some nice benefits like wifi on planes and low data coverage when overseas (generally enough to access maps and text).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:18 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
The coverage is kind of spotty, but overall okay. I'm on my friend's family plan, so I only pay $25/mo. It's worth it for me. It does have some nice benefits like wifi on planes and low data coverage when overseas (generally enough to access maps and text).
"...like wifi on planes ..."

Yup. I saw that. Nice.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:01 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We've been with T-Mobile on their 55+ plan (grandfathered at $60 for two lines) for over ten years. Unlimited everything. We had it in Phoenix, and kept it when we moved to Raleigh in 2012.

I've had pretty much no spottiness since about 5 years ago. I live on my Google Maps GPS - literally barely drive anywhere with out it. If the service dropped, I'd notice it immediately. We had excellent service for internet when we were overseas - including Japan, South Africa and Korea. Some issues in Norway, but I don't know if any carrier would have been all that great in the Fjords. Texting was problematic. We never made any phone calls. We switched to Google Pixel phones about 2 years ago, couldn't be happier with them and the 5g service has been pretty damn good.

I notice a connection problem is in buildings - Hospitals, parking garages, etc. On long car rides, we've lost the signal a few times. Honestly, The only thing I dislike about T-Mobile is their voicemail app. Maybe if you upgrade to voice to text it works better, but I don't feel a need to pay for that.

At the price we're paying, I'm thrilled to bits with them.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've been with T-Mobile on their 55+ plan (grandfathered at $60 for two lines) for over ten years. Unlimited everything. We had it in Phoenix, and kept it when we moved to Raleigh in 2012.

I've had pretty much no spottiness since about 5 years ago. I live on my Google Maps GPS - literally barely drive anywhere with out it. If the service dropped, I'd notice it immediately. We had excellent service for internet when we were overseas - including Japan, South Africa and Korea. Some issues in Norway, but I don't know if any carrier would have been all that great in the Fjords. Texting was problematic. We never made any phone calls. We switched to Google Pixel phones about 2 years ago, couldn't be happier with them and the 5g service has been pretty damn good.

I notice a connection problem is in buildings - Hospitals, parking garages, etc. On long car rides, we've lost the signal a few times. Honestly, The only thing I dislike about T-Mobile is their voicemail app. Maybe if you upgrade to voice to text it works better, but I don't feel a need to pay for that.

At the price we're paying, I'm thrilled to bits with them.
Voicemail to Text is included in the MAX plans.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-25-2022 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 11:42 AM

314 posts, read 179,657 times
T-Mobile has been running a rewards program all summer where you can get 25 cents/gal off Shell gas every week till 9/6.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:56 AM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Mike, I’m not sure how your business is structured. If you work for yourself or a brokerage. My wife owns her own business and she got some really amazing deals by opening a business account. Why we’ve found is if you walk into the store and get the right person they can do some heavy discounts in the store. Our plan is way cheaper than the one advertised on the website.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:01 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I had T-Mobile until I got into RE....mostly because it was cheap (was still on my parents plan!)....But I had to switch to Verizon a few months in. Too many dropped calls/lack of enough signal to open apps "out in the field" (try opening showingtime when you don't have signal!)

From what I've heard; T-Mobile coverage around here has gotten better since then (this was 4 years ago).
LOL, I’m with ATT and hate when I have a Sentrilock out away from everything. I’m standing there holding the phone up so it connects to the tower and still within Bluetooth range of the box.

I’ve had a real run of crappy signal lately with ATT and am seriously considering going to Verizon for at least one of my devices. Like it shows 2 bars or even 3 and yet no data. The app I use for inspections needs a connection to work the best (I can turn sync off but it’s not as useful) and I’m tired of things not working right.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:25 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
LOL, I’m with ATT and hate when I have a Sentrilock out away from everything. I’m standing there holding the phone up so it connects to the tower and still within Bluetooth range of the box.

I’ve had a real run of crappy signal lately with ATT and am seriously considering going to Verizon for at least one of my devices. Like it shows 2 bars or even 3 and yet no data. The app I use for inspections needs a connection to work the best (I can turn sync off but it’s not as useful) and I’m tired of things not working right.
Based on posts I've been reading on Reddit recently, it seems that Verizon has really gone downhill in the area

(Post from yesterday for example - https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/com...they_all_suck/)

Old 08-25-2022, 02:34 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Based on posts I've been reading on Reddit recently, it seems that Verizon has really gone downhill in the area

(Post from yesterday for example - https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/com...they_all_suck/)
LOL, I just saw a post in r/bull city complaining about Verizon. I use an iPad and iPhone, so my plan is change one, probably the phone, over to Verizon and keep the iPad on ATT. That way I’ll have diversity and can hotspot to the other device if needed.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:36 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
T-Mobile wooed me 4 years ago with their siren call with pricing and a map that showed great coverage in the Triangle. I live 90% of my life along a 10-mile stretch of North Raleigh and West Raleigh, what could go wrong? And then things did. First it was little things, like unable to get service in the movie theatre (goodbye theatre app). Then I realized it was inside other buildings (Target was a dead zone unless my phone could see the outside lol). Researching after the fact, I finally found people in fine print on obscure websites mentioning T-mobile used a weaker band that had more trouble penetrating some buildings, and that wifi is recommended when that happens lol.

I had an iPhone X at the time, and I realized at some point an upgrade would likely fix some of the issues. But I never got over the fact that I almost immediately could sense a difference when switching from Verizon while using the same phone. So I upgraded this past Christmas and switched back and really don’t regret it. I miss T-Mobile’s lower bills, but not their glitchy in-town coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary