Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 08:19 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
LOL, I’m with ATT and hate when I have a Sentrilock out away from everything. I’m standing there holding the phone up so it connects to the tower and still within Bluetooth range of the box.

I’ve had a real run of crappy signal lately with ATT and am seriously considering going to Verizon for at least one of my devices. Like it shows 2 bars or even 3 and yet no data. The app I use for inspections needs a connection to work the best (I can turn sync off but it’s not as useful) and I’m tired of things not working right.
There was an afternoon early in my first few months of RE where I was meeting with new clients who wanted to see several houses in Briar Chapel. Nothing was more stressful than having to walk up and down the block to get enough signal to get sentrilock app to open or showingtime to get the code for the old school lockboxes. They were great people who bought a great house in BC that weekend and have remained in friendly contact since...but that was enough to make me switch to Verizon the following weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 03:26 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Based on posts I've been reading on Reddit recently, it seems that Verizon has really gone downhill in the area

(Post from yesterday for example - https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/com...they_all_suck/)
My Verizon reception has been crap the last 6 months or so with my android device. Same with my family's iphones. They are stuck with them for another 12 months until credits run off from last year's iphone purchases. I'm stuck longer because Verizon is the only carrier allowed at work.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:39 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
We'll see .
Just back from signing up with T-mobile

Old 08-27-2022, 12:53 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
I think the consensus is that T-Mobile is the best value plan but AT&T is the best for consistent coverage.
Historically, Verizon and Alltel had the best coverage in the state. VZW had the metro areas and Alltel had the rural ones. Once combined, they were pretty much unbeatable for coverage. Of course, that was years ago. TMobile has been spending on upgrades for the last few years.

Now, it's Elon to the rescue --
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-m...er-dead-zones/

Old 08-28-2022, 07:30 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
An advantage with T-Mobile I haven't seen discussed is their ability to travel. They have partnered with several countries to allow your phone to work without having to buy a SIM card or make any other modifications to your phone. We first got T-Mobile specifically for this feature before traveling to Costa Rica and the coverage there seemed to be better than the U.S. with no added cost.

So, if you travel a lot...

Old 08-28-2022, 08:07 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
An advantage with T-Mobile I haven't seen discussed is their ability to travel. They have partnered with several countries to allow your phone to work without having to buy a SIM card or make any other modifications to your phone. We first got T-Mobile specifically for this feature before traveling to Costa Rica and the coverage there seemed to be better than the U.S. with no added cost.

I saw this, and considered it.
I don't travel internationally much, but it cannot hurt to have one more tool in the box.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:44 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post

Most phones work overseas. My AT&T phone worked fine in Turkey 10 years ago. Just avoid Verizon if you want to use your phone internationally, as Verizon uses a technology not supported outside the US (or at least not widely supported). Even if you use Verizon, you can rent a phone and transfer your SIM card to the rental while overseas - or at least that was an option quite a while ago. I would verify it still works before traveling, though.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:14 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Most phones work overseas. My AT&T phone worked fine in Turkey 10 years ago. Just avoid Verizon if you want to use your phone internationally, as Verizon uses a technology not supported outside the US (or at least not widely supported). Even if you use Verizon, you can rent a phone and transfer your SIM card to the rental while overseas - or at least that was an option quite a while ago. I would verify it still works before traveling, though.
It’s not a matter of the phone working or not, it’s the fact that T-Mobile won’t charge you an exorbitant amount extra if you’re on the plan that allows for international access passes AND the speeds are pretty fast enough to get basic stuff done (while other carriers are more likely to throttle your speeds). The Magenta Max plan includes 5 GB of high speed overseas data which is more than enough for any short trip

Old 08-28-2022, 09:24 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
It’s not a matter of the phone working or not, it’s the fact that T-Mobile won’t charge you an exorbitant amount extra if you’re on the plan that allows for international access passes AND the speeds are pretty fast enough to get basic stuff done (while other carriers are more likely to throttle your speeds). The Magenta Max plan includes 5 GB of high speed overseas data which is more than enough for any short trip
I was fortunate that my company covered my phone costs. I do see AT&T offers an international plan for $10 a day if traveling internationally. If you travel infrequently, that may make more sense for you.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:40 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I was fortunate that my company covered my phone costs. I do see AT&T offers an international plan for $10 a day if traveling internationally. If you travel infrequently, that may make more sense for you.
That’s what we’ve done since they implemented it. For the most part, you can just use your phone exactly as you would in the US and the same plan applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary