Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:28 AM

4,273 posts, read 4,728,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Verizon uses a technology not supported outside the US (or at least not widely supported).
Verizon is shutting down its CDMA network on December 31, and they say 99% of their customers have already migrated to phones that follow the usual international standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 03:57 PM

43,362 posts, read 77,261,969 times
So, going on a month in....

The phone, Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G is a nice update and improvement over my Note 10+ (which is For Sale on Craigslist.)

T-Mobile has been just fine, both coverage and speed.
No second thoughts about the move.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:38 AM

289 posts, read 256,274 times
Has anyone who is thinking about going with T-Mobile considered Mint Mobile? They use the T-Mobile network and offer a plan that looks like this (along with other lower level options):

$30/Month each line; up to 5 lines
Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text
35GB of 5G if available in your area and your phone is capable; 4G LTE or slower after cap (again, depends)
Free international calls to Mexico and Canada
5GB Mobile Hotspot
WiFi Calling and Text

I have been with Cricket (ATT network) for years and haven't had any complaints. Less than half the cost of a plan with ATT.

Google Fi has piqued my interest, too with its affordable pricing, ability to switch networks on the fly, free high-speed data in over 200 countries, and other features.

I am just curious if anyone has considered going with an MVNO or other alternative.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:44 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Has anyone who is thinking about going with T-Mobile considered Mint Mobile? They use the T-Mobile network and offer a plan that looks like this (along with other lower level options):

35GB of 5G if available in your area and your phone is capable; 4G LTE or slower after cap (again, depends)
5GB Mobile Hotspot
WiFi Calling and Text

I have been with Cricket (ATT network) for years and haven't had any complaints. Less than half the cost of a plan with ATT.

Google Fi has piqued my interest, too with its affordable pricing, ability to switch networks on the fly, free high-speed data in over 200 countries, and other features.

I am just curious if anyone has considered going with an MVNO or other alternative.
I intermittently use Mint Mobile when they have deals and I have had a great experience around here.

I'm currently on AT&T Prepaid and they have a current deal where it's $300/year for 16 GB/month when you prepay for the entire year.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I intermittently use Mint Mobile when they have deals and I have had a great experience around here.

I'm currently on AT&T Prepaid and they have a current deal where it's $300/year for 16 GB/month when you prepay for the entire year.
Good to know about Mint Mobile, and thanks for sharing the AT&T Prepaid options.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:29 PM

104 posts, read 65,872 times
Since I use the rest of the Google productivity stuff I switched to Google Fi, which uses end‑to‑end encryption on T-mobile, U.S Cellular, and secure Wi-Fi connections. So far, so good.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 09-28-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-29-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
Since I use the rest of the Google productivity stuff I switched to Google Fi, which uses end‑to‑end encryption on T-mobile, U.S Cellular, and secure Wi-Fi connections. So far, so good.
Thanks for sharing your positive experience with Google Fi. Are there any analytics that allow you to see how much time you spend connected/using each network? I am just curious to know how often a person on Google Fi in the Triangle area would use U.S. Cellular.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:36 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,813,087 times
Quote:

5GB Mobile Hotspot
WiFi Calling and Text

My kids and I all have had Mint Mobile for 3 years or so. We were pretty much looking for the cheapest option. We pay $200 (including taxes) per year per person. We each get up to 4 GB of data per month. Talk and text are free. Once you hit 4 GB it slows down. (My kids could tell you about that; I never come close to using all my data. )

Overall, we don't have complaints. There are a few places where we don't get service while someone with AT&T or Verizon might. But it doesn't happen often for me, mostly rural places. I remember it happening a few times while camping. I think it's as good as the T-Mobile network. My husband has T-Mobile (he locked into $22/mo. deal years ago), and I don't think he's ever had service when I haven't.

They do offer some deals around Black Friday/Christmas (or at least they did last year) where you get some months free. In general, I think you only sign up for 3 months at first, so you can see if you like it. I've never had any issues with them as a company or customer service, etc.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:55 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They do offer some deals around Black Friday/Christmas (or at least they did last year) where you get some months free. In general, I think you only sign up for 3 months at first, so you can see if you like it. I've never had any issues with them as a company or customer service, etc.
Yeah during the holidays there's always a buy 3 month, get 3 months free promo for Mint Mobile or something like that

Old 09-29-2022, 01:58 PM

104 posts, read 65,872 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your positive experience with Google Fi. Are there any analytics that allow you to see how much time you spend connected/using each network? I am just curious to know how often a person on Google Fi in the Triangle area would use U.S. Cellular.
There may be some existing feature or app that records what network you're on. I haven't come across it, though - nor have I looked. From what I've read, U.S. Cellular partners with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile - which one(s) where I've no idea.

I was heading in Mint Mobile's direction initially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary