Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 06:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,302,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Lots of kids do fine and excel in public schools. Please keep in mind that several people commenting on this post are anti-public schools.
I'm 100% for public schools and my kids go to public school. I hope it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 06:37 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,838 times
Experiences with public schools just really varies based on what school district and state you're in. Different people grow up in different areas and thus have different experiences/interactions based on the school system they grew up in/nearby. Totally understandable how there can be a wide range of opinions on that.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:50 PM

"Wake County DA: Students who threaten violence at school almost never get sent to juvenile jail"

https://www.wral.com/wake-county-da-...jail/20712509/

Old 02-09-2023, 08:17 PM

89 posts, read 104,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Lots of kids do fine and excel in public schools. Please keep in mind that several people commenting on this post are anti-public schools.
Fwiw, I am a product of Wake county schools (I graduated in 1991). I have a junior and freshman in college that went to Wake county schools their entire school career. And I have a current high school freshman. My kids have had great experiences their entire time in public school and I have absolutely no complaints. I honestly love their high school.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:20 PM

22,705 posts, read 36,905,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
"Wake County DA: Students who threaten violence at school almost never get sent to juvenile jail"

https://www.wral.com/wake-county-da-...jail/20712509/
Pffft my sister had a FOURTH GRADER last year who brought a knife to school AND was caught vaping in class. This is a NINE YEAR OLD. Nothing was done.

When my DD was in middle school a girl brought a knife to school and also pushed a kid down the stairs. Nothing was done and she's off at college playing a sport and no she never got any better. Can't wait till she tries to drown one of her college teammates. DD often spoke of keeping an eye on her because she was sure she going to end up on the news in HS.

And on and on and on.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:33 PM

Another gun in WCPSS today:

https://www.wral.com/rocky-mount-off...hool/20720237/

Old 02-15-2023, 08:31 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nothing was done.
Some of these cases can be addressed by short-term or intermediate-term juvenile detention, although we would have to spend a lot of money to increase capacity. Sadly, most of these cases are mental health problems with long-term implications. Institutionalizing them indefinitely is one answer, but eventually we will have to put a much more robust mental health system in place.

Teenagers with mental illnesses are nothing new. There were a lot of them in my high school 50 years ago. The difference between then and now is the danger they pose.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:55 AM

43,399 posts, read 77,339,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Some of these cases can be addressed by short-term or intermediate-term juvenile detention, although we would have to spend a lot of money to increase capacity. Sadly, most of these cases are mental health problems with long-term implications. Institutionalizing them indefinitely is one answer, but eventually we will have to put a much more robust mental health system in place.

Teenagers with mental illnesses are nothing new. There were a lot of them in my high school 50 years ago. The difference between then and now is the danger they pose.

Yup.
Expelling a 14 year old for a year may be a "feel good" in the schools, but outside the school, no adult guidance, no mental health support, no cares, too often we just see greater problems after kicking the can down the road.
How will that 14 y.o. be better adjusted to return to school as a 15 y.o., let alone one who has just lost another full year with students his own age?

Old 02-15-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yup.
Expelling a 14 year old for a year may be a "feel good" in the schools, but outside the school, no adult guidance, no mental health support, no cares, too often we just see greater problems after kicking the can down the road.
How will that 14 y.o. be better adjusted to return to school as a 15 y.o., let alone one who has just lost another full year with students his own age?
Kids don't get expelled from school for a year, they get suspended.

I think the point being made is that suspending for a year is not enough. They should be expelled - IE never allowed to return to public school.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:25 PM

4,279 posts, read 4,736,528 times
NC law requires attending public school, private school, or home school until age 16. Wealthy families can afford private school and simultaneous mental health treatment. That's not to say that troubled teens from wealthy homes never commit felonies, but those kids have better options. Working-class families seldom can afford private school or mental health treatment, much less both. Many of the expelled kids will be nominally home schooled until 16 and shortly thereafter reach adulthood with little or no mental health treatment and few if any skills to support themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary