Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 08:07 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Sticking with facts can help cut through some of the hyperbole. The United States leads the world in incarcerations, with over 2 million people in prison, or roughly 25% o the world's total prison population. We also lead the world with the highest rate of incarceration based on per capita. The US also has over 120 guns owned per 100 people, nearly 3.5x those in Canada, and well over 4x most countries in Europe

Compared to, say, Canada we have more than 2x the number killed using guns; compared to the UK, nearly 20x. While guns may not kill people, people certainly use them to kill others. Just ask the parents in East Lansing, Uvalde, Parkland, Blacksburg, Columbine, and way too many other schools to count.

Sadly, arguing about gun violence and the senseless deaths in the US is likely a moot point. Without a constitutional amendment, nothing is likely to change. And there are too many who refuse to look objectively at the terrible harm gun violence does in the US and agree that something needs to change for an amendment to happen.
It's very possible that the US has a people problem, not a gun problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 08:14 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,360,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's very possible that the US has a people problem, not a gun problem.
I suppose you are suggesting that we're "special" in regard to having many more violent people within our country compared to most of the world. It seems a long stretch to say the US has an order of magnitude higher violent criminals, but if we do then making guns readily available to them seems like a bad choice.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I suppose you are suggesting that we're "special" in regard to having many more violent people within our country compared to most of the world. It seems a long stretch to say the US has an order of magnitude higher violent criminals, but if we do then making guns readily available to them seems like a bad choice.
As I've said all along, I'm all for increased gun control as long as law-abiding citizens can still legally own some sort of firearm to protect themselves. That being said I'm *extremely* skeptical that it will prevent anyone who wants to get a gun illegally from getting a gun.

I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that the US has a people problem. We have more single-parent households than any other country (80% of those are single mothers). We all have the third highest teenage pregnancy rate in the world. It all starts at home with the parents.

Add to that the debacle that is social media (I realize social media use is prevalent around the world), and you have even more of a mess.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:42 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,824,194 times
Getting rid of guns is not the answer. Way too late for that. Criminals won't give them up anyway now so whats the point of trying? Nothing is working now but something should be done. Make ammunition too expensive to use maybe lol

Old 03-04-2023, 09:04 PM

567 posts, read 957,757 times
Claiming that the problem is single parent households is ignoring the easy access to guns. Let's stop buying into NRA propaganda that gun regulations won't work.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Claiming that the problem is single parent households is ignoring the easy access to guns. Let's stop buying into NRA propaganda that gun regulations won't work.
Claiming the problem is guns is ignoring many other issues. At least I'm willing to look at both sides.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:50 PM
rfb

Quote:
Claiming the problem is guns is ignoring many other issues. At least I'm willing to look at both sides.
Can you enumerate the "many other issues" the US faces that no other 1st world country faces?

Old 03-05-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Can you enumerate the "many other issues" the US faces that no other 1st world country faces?
Um I mentioned some in my last reply to you.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:07 AM
rfb

Quote:
Um I mentioned some in my last reply to you.
So teenage pregnancy and single mothers are the problems?

Old 03-05-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
So teenage pregnancy and single mothers are the problems?
Part of the problem yes. Amongst other things, as I mentioned social media, normalization of violence, bad parenting in general, etc.

Instead of challenging what I say and nothing else, why not tell us why you think those aren’t part of the problem? Tell us what you think the problem is, do you think it’s just guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary