Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 04:56 AM

528 posts, read 935,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Don't you have to make sure your foundation can handle a third level?

I don't anticipate any issues, it's a full 3rd floor (initially built w/ the expectation to finish). So hopefully no surprises. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 05:11 AM

921 posts, read 748,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unless she lives in a mansion ( and hey maybe she does) or has an unlimited budget for relocating HVAC/water heater/ that pesky roof (and hey maybe she does) there is not a lot of imagination needed to finish a third floor. Quite frankly any decent contractor can lay it out.
Great! Do you have any suggestions of contractors for the OP to talk to? Since, you know, thats the point of the post?

Old 04-18-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Don't you have to make sure your foundation can handle a third level?
As described by the OP, the space already exists, it needs to be built out.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:24 AM

I'd talk to these companies and see what you think about them:

https://riverbirchremodeling.com/ser...esign-raleigh/

https://www.oakcityarchitecture.com/

https://www.corbettdesignbuild.com/r...ons-additions/

https://www.cqchome.com/

Old 04-18-2023, 05:57 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
Thanks, yes, I have an idea of what I want but need someone to tell me what's possible in that space and how best to maximize as well as maybe do some extras (creatively) that we aren't thinking of. I'm struggling to find some names of people to start with.

The good ones will immediately ask your budget for the project, to qualify you in terms of your grasp of reality.
Some remodelers have a minimum project budget threshold because they can pick and choose projects.

1000 SF Attic finish?
Design/build sounds like $75,000 and up. Are you going to add a kitchenette, bathroom, lots of cabinetry built-ins?
When looking at designer and contractor websites, study the predominant styles in their portfolio and see if they appeal and are complementary to your taste and home style.
When interviewing, inquire how they handle engineering any structural modifications.

I would hire Heather Washburn in a heartbeat. Know her personally, her skills, vision, integrity, tenacity, and passion. Her work may or may not suit your tastes, but she is amazingly creative. She is not a GC, but certainly can help in that area.
https://www.calico-studio.com/architecture

Oh...
Never be impressed that any service provider's self-professed qualifications are christian, veteran, region's "most trusted."

Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 AM

7,532 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
I don't anticipate any issues, it's a full 3rd floor (initially built w/ the expectation to finish). So hopefully no surprises. :-)

Oh, sorry. I missed that!

Old 04-18-2023, 07:20 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unless she lives in a mansion ( and hey maybe she does) or has an unlimited budget for relocating HVAC/water heater/ that pesky roof (and hey maybe she does) there is not a lot of imagination needed to finish a third floor. Quite frankly any decent contractor can lay it out.
I agree, attic finishes are rather prescriptive, especially if it was built with the intention to be finished as then the builder would have run plumbing lines and kept any HVAC equipment out of the "would-be" finished 3rd floor envelope. Adding a dormer would be more of a challenge, because it requires cutting into roof/sizing beam/etc. - but those are all straightforward construction steps.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I agree, attic finishes are rather prescriptive, especially if it was built with the intention to be finished as then the builder would have run plumbing lines and kept any HVAC equipment out of the "would-be" finished 3rd floor envelope. Adding a dormer would be more of a challenge, because it requires cutting into roof/sizing beam/etc. - but those are all straightforward construction steps.
Sizing beam/etc needs to include a calculated and demonstrated load path to the foundation. Engineering discipline and building inspection territory.
Having the original/as built print docs could be helpful.

But, the OP indicated the dormers are already in place, so perhaps moot.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Default Creative comes last

Quote:
Does anyone know who can draw up plans to finish an unfinished 3rd floor?
...so we can visualize better what's doable (etc) ...
Start with the "as built" and similar construction drawings for what you have now.
Top of the list is whether that top level is a FLOOR or just a nice storage loft.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with the "as built" and similar construction drawings for what you have now.
Top of the list is whether that top level is a FLOOR or just a nice storage loft.
Done:

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: