Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 07:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
It's about 1K sq feet, but we want some add'l windows/skylights put in and a dormer/bump out area made into a nook. The main issue is the stair case opens in the center of the room and I need some ideas on how to maximize the space for that. Any contractor recommendation?
The guy who finished our third floor was awesome but he left the profession just a few months after finishing our job. Got tired of chasing people down for payment. I would suggest checking your local next door site for recommendations, I am constantly bookmarking recommendations I see there "just in case". And yeah that open staircase is a waste of space - we had the same problem.

As to Mike's advice about sticking to the facts ma'am....I had a terrible experience with a guy who marketed himself as a nice Christian fellow and couldn't have been more insulting to the lil lady of the house when he came out to give a (hugely inflated) quote for some deck repairs.

Also beware of people who don't listen to you and throw out a million other ideas for your house - had that (exhausting) experience with a guy who actually used to post here. When he realized DH and I actually know a thing or two about home improvement he quickly lost interest in us and never got back to us with a quote (which he assured us would be the highest one we got anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 06:42 PM

528 posts, read 934,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I would hire Heather Washburn in a heartbeat. Know her personally, her skills, vision, integrity, tenacity, and passion. Her work may or may not suit your tastes, but she is amazingly creative. She is not a GC, but certainly can help in that area.
https://www.calico-studio.com/architecture

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:45 AM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
An architect. Sorry I don't know one in the Triangle, but some google searching, checking out websites and a few phone calls will no doubt lead you to the right one. I'm sure there are many small architectural firms or solo practitioners who specialize in home renovations.
My cousin and 2 close friends are architects, and they'd be the last ones I'd call for help. There are architectural draftsmen out there that can do a great job for less money. Some contractors also have drafting skills for such projects.

For a 3rd floor, you might want to get the feedback from a good construction person to whether the 2nd floor ceiling construction is ample to hold up a 3rd floor addition. Often 3rd floors have to be beef'd up before they're ready for studding out for rooms.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:02 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
My cousin and 2 close friends are architects, and they'd be the last ones I'd call for help. There are architectural draftsmen out there that can do a great job for less money. Some contractors also have drafting skills for such projects.

For a 3rd floor, you might want to get the feedback from a good construction person to whether the 2nd floor ceiling construction is ample to hold up a 3rd floor addition. Often 3rd floors have to be beef'd up before they're ready for studding out for rooms.
See below. An unfinished third level, structurally ready to support a finished area is very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I don't anticipate any issues, it's a full 3rd floor (initially built w/ the expectation to finish). So hopefully no surprises. :-)

Old 04-21-2023, 09:30 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
See below. An unfinished third level, structurally ready to support a finished area is very common.

But, also, building codes change, etc... I think getting a confirmation on this is Step 1.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:21 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
The good ones will immediately ask your budget for the project, to qualify you in terms of your grasp of reality.
Some remodelers have a minimum project budget threshold because they can pick and choose projects.

1000 SF Attic finish?
Design/build sounds like $75,000 and up. Are you going to add a kitchenette, bathroom, lots of cabinetry built-ins?
When looking at designer and contractor websites, study the predominant styles in their portfolio and see if they appeal and are complementary to your taste and home style.
When interviewing, inquire how they handle engineering any structural modifications.

I would hire Heather Washburn in a heartbeat. Know her personally, her skills, vision, integrity, tenacity, and passion. Her work may or may not suit your tastes, but she is amazingly creative. She is not a GC, but certainly can help in that area.
https://www.calico-studio.com/architecture

Oh...
Never be impressed that any service provider's self-professed qualifications are christian, veteran, region's "most trusted."
Bumped to mention:

Heather Washburn, Calico Studio PLLC, had a project in Maine grace the cover of the current NC Architecture magazine:

https://mydigitalpublication.com/pub...&p=1&ver=html5

https://mydigitalpublication.com/pub...p=10&ver=html5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: