Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 06:49 PM

350 posts, read 195,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Well that's just a little CYA and deflection. Their lawsuit is the reason there's not parade. Not victim blaming here, it just is what it is. The purpose of lawsuits are punishment, prevention and/or improvement.

The thing that has me scratching my head is this, from the article: "The "Shine Like Hailey" bill also asks for vehicle safety inspections done at least seven days prior to the parade by law enforcement or a local fire department." All I know is when my vehicle has mechanical issues, I take it to a mechanic not the police station or fire station. More politicians trying to look like they're doing something.

End of the day it was a modified vehicle driven by a 20 year old. One solution is to simply have unmodified vehicles, passing a standard NC Safety Inspection, having its weight and towing capacity measured by an expert. There are mobile vehicle scales - the important thing here is that the vehicle has the proper braking capacity and a competent driver.

My two cents, anyway.
The purpose of lawsuits is to make a person whole who was DAMAGED.

You thought the wanted COPS and firemen to do mechanical inspections

Probably they mean an OFFICIAL/DEPT who certifies that vehicles and people have been inspected properly just like each state official dept does when for amusements/carnivals etc. Things that MOVE.

They have large organizations of SAFETY INSPECTORS and in GA for example, it's run by the FIRE SAFETY COMMISSIONER.

https://rules.sos.ga.gov/gac/120-3-28

Maybe that's why you're scratching your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 04:53 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Raleigh officials reverse course to allow Christmas parade after girl's death last year.

The Nov. 18 parade in downtown Raleigh will operate without motorized vehicles or floats, according to a statement from the association's executive director, Jennifer Martin.

^https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/milwauk...ar%27s%20event.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:00 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Ok, now you've approved a parade without motorized vehicles, now what. No antique fire trucks. No Shriner' in little cars. Santa on a bicycle. The Grand Marshall (if has one has been named) gets to walk the parade route instead of wave from the back of an open convertible.
I think it just said no motorized vehicles. I assume horse-drawn carriages, etc are allowed ?

Old 09-17-2023, 11:31 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you're a lay person elected to city council, you're going to lean towards the conservative side and go with the advice that's presented before you by city staff. Obviously they saw the backlash and backpeddled on that. Won't fault them for doing so.
Sure, but how did they think people would be ok with this? They are literally there to represent their constituents. They had to know this wouldn't fly.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:37 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Sure, but how did they think people would be ok with this? They are literally there to represent their constituents. They had to know this wouldn't fly.
I would say that their decision to backtrack after the backlash is taking feedback from their constituents and responding appropriately to it.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:00 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I would say that their decision to backtrack after the backlash is taking feedback from their constituents and responding appropriately to it.
I think that's more "doing the right thing after exhausting every other option"

Old 09-17-2023, 03:35 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I wish they would have at least allowed approved, insured professional float companies, but I suppose that this late in the game, it would be tough to find anyone available.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Don't blame the entire city council. Blame the mayor. She is the one who made the original decision to not have the parade, with no citizen feedback, no discussing it with the girl's parents. She didn't even dscuss it with other city council members.

The city is not being sued. The organization running the parade and related entities are being sued.

The city attorney is new. The mayor has been deceitful multiple times in the past, so no one can trust WHO advised her to stop the parade.

Not having it to having it all happened within about a 24-hour period. It's such poor leadership. I've watched every city council meeting since February, 2020. It all doesn't surprise me a bit.

Old 09-17-2023, 05:22 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
I think the solution they came up with to ban motorized vehicles seems reasonable and fair to me, in light of what happened last year. Christmas joy can still occur and the kiddos can have fun!

Old 09-17-2023, 05:37 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Don't blame the entire city council. Blame the mayor. She is the one who made the original decision to not have the parade, with no citizen feedback, no discussing it with the girl's parents. She didn't even dscuss it with other city council members.

The city is not being sued. The organization running the parade and related entities are being sued.

The city attorney is new. The mayor has been deceitful multiple times in the past, so no one can trust WHO advised her to stop the parade.

Not having it to having it all happened within about a 24-hour period. It's such poor leadership. I've watched every city council meeting since February, 2020. It all doesn't surprise me a bit.
The mayor in Raleigh has the same power as every other memeber of that council (1 vote).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary