Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 02:13 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,605,219 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/story/2023-rale...eath/21049022/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 03:01 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
Seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,295,426 times
To me it feels like they were too lazy to put in the correct safety measures, and are using respect for the family as an excuse.

Someone dropped the ball.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:11 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
This feels a little like victim blaming to me "we have too much litigation from last year's parade so we're gonna cancel it for this year". Um yeah, you do have litigation. That's YOUR PROBLEM and the family has every right to bring that litigation. Don't blame them for your mismanagement or act like you can't do better. I'm guessing they're getting some bad advice like "if you put certain safety plans in place now it will look like you're admitting they should have been there in the past".

Old 09-14-2023, 04:13 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,897,227 times
I think they're also avoiding any additional liability risk until after the current legal cases are settled.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:25 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,738,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This feels a little like victim blaming to me "we have too much litigation from last year's parade so we're gonna cancel it for this year". Um yeah, you do have litigation. That's YOUR PROBLEM and the family has every right to bring that litigation. Don't blame them for your mismanagement or act like you can't do better. I'm guessing they're getting some bad advice like "if you put certain safety plans in place now it will look like you're admitting they should have been there in the past".
Even the family that is litigating says that they should have a parade.

It's ridiculous considering they've permitted other parades since the incident.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:28 AM

5,351 posts, read 3,236,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Even the family that is litigating says that they should have a parade.
Well that's just a little CYA and deflection. Their lawsuit is the reason there's not parade. Not victim blaming here, it just is what it is. The purpose of lawsuits are punishment, prevention and/or improvement.

The thing that has me scratching my head is this, from the article: "The "Shine Like Hailey" bill also asks for vehicle safety inspections done at least seven days prior to the parade by law enforcement or a local fire department." All I know is when my vehicle has mechanical issues, I take it to a mechanic not the police station or fire station. More politicians trying to look like they're doing something.

End of the day it was a modified vehicle driven by a 20 year old. One solution is to simply have unmodified vehicles, passing a standard NC Safety Inspection, having its weight and towing capacity measured by an expert. There are mobile vehicle scales - the important thing here is that the vehicle has the proper braking capacity and a competent driver.

My two cents, anyway.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,170,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Well that's just a little CYA and deflection. Their lawsuit is the reason there's not parade. Not victim blaming here, it just is what it is. The purpose of lawsuits are punishment, prevention and/or improvement.

The thing that has me scratching my head is this, from the article: "The "Shine Like Hailey" bill also asks for vehicle safety inspections done at least seven days prior to the parade by law enforcement or a local fire department." All I know is when my vehicle has mechanical issues, I take it to a mechanic not the police station or fire station. More politicians trying to look like they're doing something.

End of the day it was a modified vehicle driven by a 20 year old. One solution is to simply have unmodified vehicles, passing a standard NC Safety Inspection, having its weight and towing capacity measured by an expert. There are mobile vehicle scales - the important thing here is that the vehicle has the proper braking capacity and a competent driver.

My two cents, anyway.
Who are you kidding, the purpose of most lawsuits is to award compensation for damages to victims. Punishment, prevention and/or improvement are secondary.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:45 AM

19,757 posts, read 20,312,780 times
It's official: New Raleigh sucks

Old 09-15-2023, 01:15 PM

5,351 posts, read 3,236,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Who are you kidding, the purpose of most lawsuits is to award compensation for damages to victims. Punishment, prevention and/or improvement are secondary.
Your description is 100% accurate. I chose poor wording and didn't fully explain it but you hit the nail on the head.

Where I was going with that is any responsible organization would give pause to something that is the basis for a lawsuit. So from that standpoint I don't blame the City of Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary