Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 10:07 AM

853 posts, read 591,878 times

Advertisements

My wife and I own some farmland in Eastern NC that we rent to a local farmer. Over the past couple of years, we have been receiving offers from land companies to purchase the property. The offers come almost monthly and the offered prices range from ridiculously low to nearly reasonable. We might sell it for the right price but haven't yet.

All offers state they they (the buyers) will do all the paperwork and pay all closing costs. So far, we've just ignored the offers and shredded them. Are these companies legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 10:35 AM

43,362 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Generally, yes, they are legit.

Of course they will provide a contract and pay closing costs. That is all baked into the offer they give you. And, paying you cash, closing costs would be minimal.
I would ignore the amount of the offer, tell them "the right price," i.e., what it would take to get the deal done; tell them to send me a written offer ready for signature; and IF they did write an offer that seemed reasonable, would run it past an attorney for review and opinion.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:07 AM

342 posts, read 299,593 times
Don't sell your land to China.

List it yourself for the right price if you want to sell it

Old 10-10-2023, 11:42 AM

4,273 posts, read 4,728,620 times
Note the difference between an "offer" in the mail and an offer that is actionable in a legal sense, as MikeJaquish has commented. Things can and do change from one to the other.

As for China, it's to our advantage for them to own property here. The more they own, the more leverage we have.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:50 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
My wife and I own some farmland in Eastern NC that we rent to a local farmer. .........Are these companies legit?
They may know of a buyer that will pay more to turn the land into a wind farm. They may also know their is phosphate or another mineral under the land which they can sell to a drywall manufacturer. (My relative had offers on a farmhouse in Wayne County in this situation.) You might look for an appraiser who knows about such things.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:31 PM

4,181 posts, read 4,895,314 times
I get calls all the time from people wanting to buy my house. I politely say I'm not interested and hang up, but then their number immediately goes to my blocked list.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:12 PM

243 posts, read 242,238 times
I always respond with a number 5x what my house is worth and I never hear from them again

Old 10-10-2023, 04:08 PM

334 posts, read 192,241 times
Tell them it's a $50,000 non-refundable deposit to begin the conversation. If you don't like what you hear, you get to keep the deposit.

Old 10-11-2023, 06:54 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,325,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I always respond with a number 5x what my house is worth and I never hear from them again
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Tell them it's a $50,000 non-refundable deposit to begin the conversation. If you don't like what you hear, you get to keep the deposit.
Since OP is saying they might "consider" selling, I think a more reasonable approach would be to OP's benefit.

Maybe decide on their own what is an acceptable amount. "If someone offered me $xxxx free and clear, I would accept". Whatever that number is, maybe add a little bit (10-20%?) for room to negotiate, but keep it in the realm of reasonable. Asking for 5x it's worth is not going to get a serious response, if that's what OP wants.

If OP is not interested, the best action is "no response, just block or ignore".

Old 10-11-2023, 07:07 AM

43,362 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Since OP is saying they might "consider" selling, I think a more reasonable approach would be to OP's benefit.

Maybe decide on their own what is an acceptable amount. "If someone offered me $xxxx free and clear, I would accept". Whatever that number is, maybe add a little bit (10-20%?) for room to negotiate, but keep it in the realm of reasonable. Asking for 5x it's worth is not going to get a serious response, if that's what OP wants.

If OP is not interested, the best action is "no response, just block or ignore".

Exactly. Always give the other party the opportunity to say, "Yes."

I have a "Make Me Move" counter to these casual offers. It is about 130% of what I see as market value, with some additional terms.
I am not highly motivated, but at that, no arm-twisting would be required.
Of course, unlike the OP, I would need to replace my home with another.

LOL
The last mope who called was bound to overcome all obstacles. He ignored my multiple replies of, "I am not really interested in selling right now. But for $X and good terms, I might consider it."

Him: "Isn't your asking price high?"
Me: "I don't have an "asking price." I'm not "asking" to sell. That's about what it would take to get the property."
Him: "Isn't it over market value?"
Me: "Like I said, I am not eager to sell, but if you are motivated to buy, that's about where we are."
Him: "I think you're just wasting my time."
Me: "Look, man, I didn't call YOU."
Click. He hung up! That rube will never make it in a business that requires basic negotiation skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary