Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am not selfish. I realize how much better off I am here and how much more enjoyable life is. I will never be one to try to shut the door behind me. If someone can find an easier or happier time here, I am thrilled for them
And in the mean time, diluting the VERY quality of life that everyone was so attracted to in the first place. Housing and cost-of-living prices are going up--in part due to so many moving here from "more expensive" areas--traffic is much MUCH worse than it was only a few short years ago, and many of us who've lived here a long time note a more "rushed, impatient" quality of life than we remember.

It's kind of like discovering a nice little restaurant in an out-of-the way place with a delightful atmosphere, delicious and cheap food, and staff who know you by your name. Sure, you tell your close friends, try to keep the business going so they won't close and so you can share the charm. But what you're doing is basically walking around with a bullhorn telling anyone and everyone to come to this restaurant NOW, they just won't believe it. All of a sudden you try to get a table at your favorite place and they're full, no reservation until 2 hours after you want. The rices go up because demand did, but at the same time, they are too busy to spend the time creating the most delectable dishes that you remember in the beginning. They hire staff so quickly, they no longer remember the regulars, and the service slips.

This is what many who've been here for decades might say is in danger of happening with the Triangle (some would say it already has). I am not one who is to that point yet, and I appreciate many of the "metropolitan" aspects of the city where I grew up (although I got by just fine without them, too) but I DO think that basically telling every person in every situation that moving here will solve every one of their problems not only does them a disservice, it really is eroding the VERY "charm" and specialness of the area that purportedly got it noticed in the first place.

Plenty of people are going to continue to find the area on their own; let them make the discovery and do their own research. Don't walk around every city-data forum with a sandwich board saying "If you move to Wake County, you will have no regrets for as long as you live", convincing people to come here without doing their OWN research and finding out what is best for THEM (not you). I love the fact that we are "on the map" and that people want to live here, I just want them to have "the right reasons" for coming here, one of which is NOT that some dude on an Internet forum couldn't shut up about why they should move here NOW.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And in the mean time, diluting the VERY quality of life that everyone was so attracted to in the first place. Housing and cost-of-living prices are going up--in part due to so many moving here from "more expensive" areas--traffic is much MUCH worse than it was only a few short years ago, and many of us who've lived here a long time note a more "rushed, impatient" quality of life than we remember.

It's kind of like discovering a nice little restaurant in an out-of-the way place with a delightful atmosphere, delicious and cheap food, and staff who know you by your name. Sure, you tell your close friends, try to keep the business going so they won't close and so you can share the charm. But what you're doing is basically walking around with a bullhorn telling anyone and everyone to come to this restaurant NOW, they just won't believe it. All of a sudden you try to get a table at your favorite place and they're full, no reservation until 2 hours after you want. The rices go up because demand did, but at the same time, they are too busy to spend the time creating the most delectable dishes that you remember in the beginning. They hire staff so quickly, they no longer remember the regulars, and the service slips.

This is what many who've been here for decades might say is in danger of happening with the Triangle (some would say it already has). I am not one who is to that point yet, and I appreciate many of the "metropolitan" aspects of the city where I grew up (although I got by just fine without them, too) but I DO think that basically telling every person in every situation that moving here will solve every one of their problems not only does them a disservice, it really is eroding the VERY "charm" and specialness of the area that purportedly got it noticed in the first place.

Plenty of people are going to continue to find the area on their own; let them make the discovery and do their own research. Don't walk around every city-data forum with a sandwich board saying "If you move to Wake County, you will have no regrets for as long as you live", convincing people to come here without doing their OWN research and finding out what is best for THEM (not you). I love the fact that we are "on the map" and that people want to live here, I just want them to have "the right reasons" for coming here, one of which is NOT that some dude on an Internet forum couldn't shut up about why they should move here NOW.
If city-data could give trophies for "the perfect post"...this would earn one!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,929 times
For real growth in any particular area you need to have growth in products or services that those outside are demanding. This is what brings in a continued revenue stream into the area and allows there to be real growth.
So what is that for the Triangle?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM

226 posts, read 610,124 times
Quote:

People are...in general...not stupid. They move here for a reason, not because some over zealous pragmatist posts a pro-Raleigh script here.

If they move here...fine. If they don't...that's fine too. I can't predict the future but I can have faith that I am in the right place...at the right time...

Life decisions and investments are for the long term. Ask yourself...where would you rather be? If the answer is elsewhere...than go. If the answer is here, than make this your home and contribute to its success. There is a lot of doom and gloom here, but I also give credit to all the optimists we have. Half full or half empty...the outcome is often the same, but your attitude along the way can make a big difference in what it means to you and those you touch.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,809 times
Default reply

post of the year to francois. very well said.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:

well said

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 AM

142 posts, read 358,229 times
Yogi Berra said it best... Nobody goes there anymore because its too crowded.

Well I'm from Massachusetts too (like the OP) and I have to tell you... I am tired of the cold, snowy Winters. We have another storm coming tomorrow and the forecast is 10 inches of snow.

I want to live outdoors more and have a shorter winter. I want to see my children have the opportunity to be outdoors more and be more active.
Massachusetts is an expensive place to live and the winters are too long.
I'm heading south - I'm doing my research on the Wake County School System before I make the leap.

Quote:

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
If city-data could give trophies for "the perfect post"...this would earn one!
I second that.

So many run here to buy McMansions on postage stamp lots built by incompetent illegal aliens to meet inadequate building and fire codes. Then, they discover that the summers are hot, the beaches are several hours away, and they don't like the way WCPSS educates students.

May the magazines that lured them be eternally damned.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 AM

147 posts, read 471,558 times
Amen Saturnfan. Just because where you are from is some god forsaken S-Hole why do you have to act like a sheep and come in droves to destroy someone else's hometown?

I'll tell you why. Because you are exploiting the fact that your former place of residence was grossly overpriced. You sell, move down to take advantage of lower housing costs, driving up costs of the people who have lived in North Carolina for generations. You come down and scream at the top of your lungs that life here is so great. Yeah, it's great for you because you essentially got free money by exploiting our quality of life when you cashed in your absurd equity. And then you crow about it? You shameless, tacky, braggart, loudmouth Yankee with your stereotypical BS. That is exactly why you will never be accepted here and never be a local. There is a fundamental difference between people who rub salt in the wounds of others and the decent common folks.

Why these Yankees seem to not have one drop of pride in where they are from is beyond me. Has greed and the euphoria of personal gain at the expense of others so thoroughly evaporated these peoples souls that they have no capacity to empathize with the people that they are trampling upon? There is a soul sickness in this country and it infects North Carolina and the Triangle more and more with each new real estate serpent that slithers down I-95 to gobble up more forest forcing us to slap up ever more trailers in a desperate attempt to educate their soulless kids as well as our own.

What you give out comes around and you better believe that the euphoria you feel now at the warm winter and cheaper housing will change. You will want to close the door behind you and what you see today as less-crowded and more green will tomorrow seem like it is getting too crowded and that the green space and woods that you loved so much near your house has been raised to build cookie-cutter condo’s or another strip mall. The same exact thing that you brought that broke my heart will break yours down the line. But not as much because you will then move on to the next “Best” place and crow about the opportunity there. And I will remain, having to view the ruin of your former “opportunity” as I drive yet another generation of my family to their baseball game or school or whatever. Because to you my home is something to make you feel wealthy, that you can brag about to your friends and strangers on the Internet. To me, it is a part of me, that with each new you is snuffed out a little bit more. Now after fifteen years of it I’m weary but you can’t see that fatigue on my face, because you are too busy looking past me at the opportunity of the dirt like the good little capitalist you were conditioned to be.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
Although I once lived in Manhattan, it was in a housing project.

Came here at a 30% cut in pay from Louisiana because it was the only IT job I could find.

We have been here since 1989 and still rent a flat near Mini-City.

We love Raleigh. The best thing is the religious attitude here that brought us back to our Lord.

It is a great place if you really want to be here and don't just want to show off.

Can I now be considered a naturalized Bubba, memorytheatre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary