Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,567 times

Advertisements

Wow. No wonder some people feel unwelcome here. I'm lucky I haven't run into anyone like this since moving here in June, but I hope you actually don't judge and treat people like this IRL. Maybe some of the people you're pushing away are actually good stewards of the hospitality and warmth that this area has to offer. Personally, I've always wanted to move South because the people down here remind me of the people back home (Canada). At least, most of you do :-O

I'm not even going to go into how much better your life might be BECAUSE of migrants, because hatred is pretty blinding. I just ask that you don't judge every Northerner as a harbinger of doom. My husband took a job here with the Public Health Service because he wanted to help people who couldn't afford it. Sure, those jobs are all over the USA, but they're not exactly lucrative. Be careful who you're pushing away.

Last edited by tabbcat; 01-10-2009 at 06:26 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And in the mean time, diluting the VERY quality of life that everyone was so attracted to in the first place. Housing and cost-of-living prices are going up--in part due to so many moving here from "more expensive" areas--traffic is much MUCH worse than it was only a few short years ago, and many of us who've lived here a long time note a more "rushed, impatient" quality of life than we remember.

It's kind of like discovering a nice little restaurant in an out-of-the way place with a delightful atmosphere, delicious and cheap food, and staff who know you by your name. Sure, you tell your close friends, try to keep the business going so they won't close and so you can share the charm. But what you're doing is basically walking around with a bullhorn telling anyone and everyone to come to this restaurant NOW, they just won't believe it. All of a sudden you try to get a table at your favorite place and they're full, no reservation until 2 hours after you want. The rices go up because demand did, but at the same time, they are too busy to spend the time creating the most delectable dishes that you remember in the beginning. They hire staff so quickly, they no longer remember the regulars, and the service slips.

This is what many who've been here for decades might say is in danger of happening with the Triangle (some would say it already has). I am not one who is to that point yet, and I appreciate many of the "metropolitan" aspects of the city where I grew up (although I got by just fine without them, too) but I DO think that basically telling every person in every situation that moving here will solve every one of their problems not only does them a disservice, it really is eroding the VERY "charm" and specialness of the area that purportedly got it noticed in the first place.

Plenty of people are going to continue to find the area on their own; let them make the discovery and do their own research. Don't walk around every city-data forum with a sandwich board saying "If you move to Wake County, you will have no regrets for as long as you live", convincing people to come here without doing their OWN research and finding out what is best for THEM (not you). I love the fact that we are "on the map" and that people want to live here, I just want them to have "the right reasons" for coming here, one of which is NOT that some dude on an Internet forum couldn't shut up about why they should move here NOW.

I appreciate the quality of your post and the effort you put into it. I also appreciate how some would prefer the area to stay the same way it was 20 years ago. Where I have issues is when statements are made that are way over the top. I never said this area would solve all problems for all people and that everyone should move here now. It seems when I post pro Triangle stuff, people take it to an extreme. What I do is post MY families experience. Our experience HAS been life changing. The Triangle HAS been a DRAMATIC improvement for us. I gain a tremendous amount of joy from helping other people and from seeing their lives improve. That feeling will always outweigh any fear I have of someone else taking a piece of my pie. This area has 4 times the population than it did not long ago, yet things are great. More people does not mean the end of the world. It can actually mean the opposite. Sure there is a recession going on in the country, but it was not created by the Triangle and we are doing much better than most. The recession will end like they all do and we will continue. In the meantime, there are people trying to get away from a dead state and rightfully so. If we stayed in MA, we would have nothing. No jobs, no money and no home. Thank God we found this area. If someone else makes the move and has their life improve like ours did, then I feel that is a great thing, even if it means one more person in line at the restaurant.

But I do have to give you props for stating your case in a calm and non threatening or insulting way, except for the bolded part.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 01-10-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Amen Saturnfan. Just because where you are from is some god forsaken S-Hole why do you have to act like a sheep and come in droves to destroy someone else's hometown?

I'll tell you why. Because you are exploiting the fact that your former place of residence was grossly overpriced. You sell, move down to take advantage of lower housing costs, driving up costs of the people who have lived in North Carolina for generations. You come down and scream at the top of your lungs that life here is so great. Yeah, it's great for you because you essentially got free money by exploiting our quality of life when you cashed in your absurd equity. And then you crow about it? You shameless, tacky, braggart, loudmouth Yankee with your stereotypical BS. That is exactly why you will never be accepted here and never be a local. There is a fundamental difference between people who rub salt in the wounds of others and the decent common folks.

Why these Yankees seem to not have one drop of pride in where they are from is beyond me. Has greed and the euphoria of personal gain at the expense of others so thoroughly evaporated these peoples souls that they have no capacity to empathize with the people that they are trampling upon? There is a soul sickness in this country and it infects North Carolina and the Triangle more and more with each new real estate serpent that slithers down I-95 to gobble up more forest forcing us to slap up ever more trailers in a desperate attempt to educate their soulless kids as well as our own.

What you give out comes around and you better believe that the euphoria you feel now at the warm winter and cheaper housing will change. You will want to close the door behind you and what you see today as less-crowded and more green will tomorrow seem like it is getting too crowded and that the green space and woods that you loved so much near your house has been raised to build cookie-cutter condo’s or another strip mall. The same exact thing that you brought that broke my heart will break yours down the line. But not as much because you will then move on to the next “Best” place and crow about the opportunity there. And I will remain, having to view the ruin of your former “opportunity” as I drive yet another generation of my family to their baseball game or school or whatever. Because to you my home is something to make you feel wealthy, that you can brag about to your friends and strangers on the Internet. To me, it is a part of me, that with each new you is snuffed out a little bit more. Now after fifteen years of it I’m weary but you can’t see that fatigue on my face, because you are too busy looking past me at the opportunity of the dirt like the good little capitalist you were conditioned to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Wow. No wonder some people feel unwelcome here. I'm lucky I haven't run into anyone like this since moving here in June, but I hope you actually don't judge and treat people like this IRL. Maybe some of the people you're pushing away are actually good stewards of the hospitality and warmth that this area has to offer. Personally, I've always wanted to move South because the people down here remind me of the people back home (Canada). At least, most of you do :-O

I'm not even going to go into how much better your life might be BECAUSE of migrants, because hatred is pretty blinding. I just ask that you don't judge every Northerner as a harbinger of doom. My husband took a job here with the Public Health Service because he wanted to help people who couldn't afford it. Sure, those jobs are all over the USA, but they're not exactly lucrative. Be careful who you're pushing away.

Don't worry tabbcat. The attitude in the previous post you are referring to is not widespread in the real world. As a matter of fact, I have never seen that in anyone. I have socialized and worked with people native to the area and people from around the world and I have never felt that from anyone. Most of the true southerners have welcomed us with open arms. They like us Yankees and actually like our accents. The danger of an anonymous board is that people can post whatever negative stuff they want to scare people away and sometimes people think that is how it really is here. Well I can tell you it is not. The people here are welcoming, friendly and happy. It's a complete 180 from the uptight people I left behind in MA. It's not their fault back home, but life there is hard and it wears on you. It's totally different here and you can feel the release of tension once you make your home here.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
I remain thankful that most people moving to NC think NC consists of "the Triangle" and Charlotte. As an NC native, I find those two areas, shall we say, tedious. There is so much more. And better.

Too many people want to move here and still enjoy the positive points of the life (and occupation) they enjoyed where they were overall, unhappy.

One would think (and think may be the key word) that part of the decision making involved in making a major move to an entirely new enviornment would be ensuring one was marketable. Redefining oneself with a more marketable skill set would vastly increase the places one could move and find employment.

Just jumping in to Raleigh or Charlotte, bringing one's skills as they were, appears to have worked for some number of years, but I am afraid those days are over.

It is a shame that so many making the big move, rely on others (writers of "Best Places to Live") influence their decisions so much. These folks aren't gonna do a lot to sell their stories. I would suggest those wanting to move to NC SHOULD DO SOME REAL WORK, before moving.

Good luck to all of you. I am greatly distressed about all the unemployment and pray for those out of work daily.

lln

Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,894 times
Quote:
Amen Saturnfan. Just because where you are from is some god forsaken S-Hole why do you have to act like a sheep and come in droves to destroy someone else's hometown?

I'll tell you why. Because you are exploiting the fact that your former place of residence was grossly overpriced. You sell, move down to take advantage of lower housing costs, driving up costs of the people who have lived in North Carolina for generations. You come down and scream at the top of your lungs that life here is so great. Yeah, it's great for you because you essentially got free money by exploiting our quality of life when you cashed in your absurd equity. And then you crow about it? You shameless, tacky, braggart, loudmouth Yankee with your stereotypical BS. That is exactly why you will never be accepted here and never be a local. There is a fundamental difference between people who rub salt in the wounds of others and the decent common folks.

Why these Yankees seem to not have one drop of pride in where they are from is beyond me. Has greed and the euphoria of personal gain at the expense of others so thoroughly evaporated these peoples souls that they have no capacity to empathize with the people that they are trampling upon? There is a soul sickness in this country and it infects North Carolina and the Triangle more and more with each new real estate serpent that slithers down I-95 to gobble up more forest forcing us to slap up ever more trailers in a desperate attempt to educate their soulless kids as well as our own.

What you give out comes around and you better believe that the euphoria you feel now at the warm winter and cheaper housing will change. You will want to close the door behind you and what you see today as less-crowded and more green will tomorrow seem like it is getting too crowded and that the green space and woods that you loved so much near your house has been raised to build cookie-cutter condo’s or another strip mall. The same exact thing that you brought that broke my heart will break yours down the line. But not as much because you will then move on to the next “Best” place and crow about the opportunity there. And I will remain, having to view the ruin of your former “opportunity” as I drive yet another generation of my family to their baseball game or school or whatever. Because to you my home is something to make you feel wealthy, that you can brag about to your friends and strangers on the Internet. To me, it is a part of me, that with each new you is snuffed out a little bit more. Now after fifteen years of it I’m weary but you can’t see that fatigue on my face, because you are too busy looking past me at the opportunity of the dirt like the good little capitalist you were conditioned to be.
I'm not a native and people will hate on your post all day long, but I agree with you. The part I highlighted in bold is important. Everyone doesn't move here having cashed out on tons of equity from an over-priced home. Now the homes that were affordable here are going up in cost while the rest of the country is going down in cost.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,378 times
Quote:

I really think this is something to think about. OK, it was presented with the attitude of someone who is very upset, and clearly it's a bit over the top. But, there actually IS an attitude like that among those of us who grew up in this state. Not to that degree, typically, but there is a bit of resentment. People say there was no bubble in the triangle, and obviously there was not, in comparison to several other areas, however, home values have still gone up a LOT in the past 5 years or so. And a huge part of that is due to people coming from other areas with quite a bit of equity who could afford WAY more home than someone who has lived here forever. Now, no one ever said life is fair, and I personally don't expect it to be, but that doesn't mean it's not a bit frustrating that my family can't afford to live in as nice a house as we could have 5 years ago while others are coming from other areas and buying homes that they couldn't afford otherwise. But, I normally would have no reason to say anything about it, as it's just the way things have worked out. I think the only reason anyone WOULD say anything or make you feel unwelcome is because, whether intentional or not, these types of posts come off as bragging rather than "sharing your good fortune with others." There is a very fine line between the two. Yes, good for you that you were able to take advantage of a bubble situation in your market and come here to find a good deal. It must be nice. Enjoy it. But don't IGNORE the fact that the number of transplants from high cost areas HAS had a negative effect on other people, and don't act so surprised that they get annoyed when you go on..and on...and on..and on...and on....and on.........about how great it's worked out for YOU. You may be sharing YOUR family's experience, but the world does not revolve around you, you, you...I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

I just sold my home here at a big loss, and it's frustrating, but I have no ill will towards my buyers whatsoever. I'd take advantage of a good deal if I were them, too. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. But if they came to the closing table talking about what a STEAL they got, and how HAPPY they were that the market has worked in their favor, and how GREAT their life was going to be at my expense, don't you think I'd then have a reason to be ticked off?

Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,902 times
I would suggest to anyone considering relocating that they invest a few hours in looking in posts from a few years back -during the boom times. You will find posts from people who were surprised & saddened to find that there were not tons of jobs for them!

This is such a personal issue... You may or may not be a highly sought employee. As an adult you have to figure that out before you make a move!

To those already here that fear that Charleton Dude may start a mass influx of Yankees, relax!
It is hard to sell a home anywhere now. Many people are stuck where they are. Even if you have no home to sell, how many people are lucky enough to just relocate on a whim because they read somewhere that the Triangle is wonderful?

Reading that may make you consider a move or agree to a move, but for most people who came here during the boom, unless they were retirees, they only came because there were viable jobs here. Take away the jobs, the influx slows.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,621 times
Quote:

Hi, Jimmy here, Yankee, sometimes-troll.... Please know we're not all like this. My wife and I moved down here largely because of an opportunity for her, but her field (and mine for that matter) are relatively recession-proof and there are jobs for us all over the country. In fact, after long, painful deliberations, we turned down opportunities in NYC to come here. We chose it more at random than anything else. There were no magazines, no other yankees convincing us to move down here, no internet message boards (thank god). We thought: Mild winters, relatively cheap cost of living, let's give it a shot. We had no kids, we were renting - we were portable.

It wasn't until after we moved down here and were renting, scoping out places to eventually buy, that we heard of Cary, jokingly referred to as the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." We instantly knew that would be the LAST place we wanted to live. We were just learning how many people were coming down here daily from crowded parts of the northeast. The little bit of research we did into Cary showed us exactly what we expected to see: Grossly overpriced real estate and insane traffic. Exactly what we'd expect for a town filled with I-95 refugees. No thank you.

I have a tremendous amount of pride in my hometown, in a "dying" area of the country, and miss it greatly sometimes. We've done well here, and enjoy the mild winters, but we're not telling anyone "ZOMG!1! Move to NC and you'll find the streets paved in gold, awash in a vinegar-based BBQ sauce! It's the best EVAR!" This IS a lovely area, and our situation and decision to move here probably would have happened regardless of how many yanks came before us, again because our respective fields have little to do with any boom a particular area may or may not be experiencing.

Side story: I have become good friends with a guy here who is in his mid-30s and is a NATIVE of Cary. I've mentioned him before on this board, that he should sign up. Talking to him, I get a very strong sense of what you're touching on here, the frustration felt by natives at seeing their nice little neck of the woods being stomped all over. Having stomped down here ourselves, I'm not immune to criticism, I guess, but please know we have a tremendous respect for this area, its history and its natives, and this thing we discovered called "college basketball" (I hear it's quite popular). Oh, and the food's awesome too.

But there's things we don't like about it either, and we make it plain to anyone we talk to who thinks about moving down here. You have to drive everywhere. Yeah, the mountains and ocean are both 2-3 hours away, but that's 1-2 hours further away than they are for people in some parts of the country. Dealing with the crowded schools, from this outside observer's perspective, seems like a tremendous pain in the patoot. No, I don't mean to rag on NC - I just mean to point out that we're not sycophantic boosters, wiring money and U-Haul reservations to our friends and family up north to get them down here STAT.

I'm not sure what the point of my post is. I guess it's that we like it here, but we don't pretend it's the land of milk and honey, either. I would hope anyone planning on making a move ANYwhere would ultimately listen to nobody but themselves, as it's a highly personal decision laden with countless variables.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I agree.

Cary just makes me think of a bunch of stuck up twits in plastic suburbia.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,326 times
Wow! Judgemental much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I agree.

Cary just makes me think of a bunch of stuck up twits in plastic suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary