Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
We are still in one of the best areas for employment in the country.
I wish people would stop spreading this kind of misinformation. Raleigh's level of unemployment is just about at the average for the US. We're right in the middle of the great to Detroit continuum of people without jobs. Tied for #181 isn't "still one of the best".

I'm all for you guys - or just guy, I can't keep up with the ever changing user names - being able to perform your "no realtor left behind" charity work, but at least do it using accurate data.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,711 times
Wow, I for one believe in Karma, what goes around comes around. painting a broad picture of such hope in this area in a time of such distress is dangerous. If one person makes a choice to move swayed by the false information you push you could mess them up for years or worse. You claim to know more about the triangle then any one here, withouot even knowing any one on here. You should be ashamed of yourself...Im done with the troll threads.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM

372 posts, read 808,583 times
Thanks for the info. I am looking to work in either one of the local hospitals or the V.A. hospital due to being a veteran. I also was thinking of going to work on the military base in there hospital as well. So I am out trying to get as much info on NC or SC as I can. And the main reason for leaving this area is the cold weather. I am so tired of the ridicules high cost of trying to stay warm. I woke up this morning to -7 deg.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
lol - bravo KC. Also a huge round of applause for Francois' post as well, and a few others who have tried to inject some reality and ground this whole topic. My .02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmberinNC View Post
To Charlton Dude
A big WHATEVER to that
this area was flooded with people thinking it was some gold mine.
I remember reading Raleigh tops the list, Raleigh best place for business blah blah blah
So many people actually beleiving this false hype we are hurting like the rest of the nation just not as bad but we are still hurting
Now trying to find a job its nearly impossible
Bingo. IF you find a good job here first, yeah generally I can think of various reasons why NC would appeal - although frankly I foresee many of those reasons eroding if not all but disappearing in the coming years due to so many people flocking here, eg less expensive housing, less crime etc.

Note: if you think coming here is good because people are more friendly and all that "southern charm" bit, you are deluding yourself. People are are IMO no more - or less - friendly than most other places, on average. Really it depends where you're comparing it to. Friendlier than NYC or Washington DC? Certainly. Friendlier than the mid-west? Not even close. Also I have found many areas in/around Raleigh, Cary etc trashier (figuratively and literally) than I was told or expected. Not saying they are horrible, but far worse than the impressions I got of it being so pristine. It's not. In fact many (most?) areas within the beltway(s) are pretty ghetto IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
My point is that the Triangle will fair better than the disaster around the country.
Because......
Quote:
You also state that people are hurting in North Carolina. This is a Triangle forum, not the NC forum. The thread is about the Triangle, which is doing much better than the state as a whole.
First you compare it to the rest of the country, then only the rest of the state. And I still don't see anything backing this misinformation which you are touting as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Thanks. Yes, appreciating all the positive things we have here is nice and so much more enjoyable than focusing on the minor negatives or worse yet making up negatives.
But making up positives, that's a good thing, as is sticking one's head in the sand regarding NC's negatives (minor OR major). Cmon now.

PS not saying it's you or anyone specifically per se, but those who don't live here: don't kid yourselves that there aren't some people here pimping NC who are real estate agents desperately trying to drum up some business - as stated, earlier, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
This has been a high growth area for the last 25 years and will be a high growth area for the next 25 years.
....in your opinion.
Quote:
Be safe, be happy and be glad it's 60 degrees in January!
Thursday projects a low of 16. brr. Winters are pretty mild, but it can get cold here.

Basically in summary, to anyone thinking of moving here: NC has its pros and cons like anyplace else. Not saying this can't be a great place to be, but don't buy the groupie hype. NC is not Mayberry, ie some panacea for all your woes.

Further, I highly HIGHLY advise that, if nothing else, you take ANYONE'S word (including mine) with a grain of salt regarding opinions on it....esp those who act like NC (or any part of it) is totally perfect and heavenly or totally imperfect and hellish. Both extremes are more than a little idiotic, for what I hope would be obvious reasons.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM

114 posts, read 207,501 times
Thanks for inviting more people to move here! I have been out of work for almost two months and can not even get an interview! I am college educated and have several years of experience in my field.

Signed,
Native who wishes someone would give me hope and encouragement

Last edited by Shelby61; 01-10-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM

171 posts, read 451,923 times
Default Worth Reading Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And in the mean time, diluting the VERY quality of life that everyone was so attracted to in the first place. Housing and cost-of-living prices are going up--in part due to so many moving here from "more expensive" areas--traffic is much MUCH worse than it was only a few short years ago, and many of us who've lived here a long time note a more "rushed, impatient" quality of life than we remember.

It's kind of like discovering a nice little restaurant in an out-of-the way place with a delightful atmosphere, delicious and cheap food, and staff who know you by your name. Sure, you tell your close friends, try to keep the business going so they won't close and so you can share the charm. But what you're doing is basically walking around with a bullhorn telling anyone and everyone to come to this restaurant NOW, they just won't believe it. All of a sudden you try to get a table at your favorite place and they're full, no reservation until 2 hours after you want. The rices go up because demand did, but at the same time, they are too busy to spend the time creating the most delectable dishes that you remember in the beginning. They hire staff so quickly, they no longer remember the regulars, and the service slips.

This is what many who've been here for decades might say is in danger of happening with the Triangle (some would say it already has). I am not one who is to that point yet, and I appreciate many of the "metropolitan" aspects of the city where I grew up (although I got by just fine without them, too) but I DO think that basically telling every person in every situation that moving here will solve every one of their problems not only does them a disservice, it really is eroding the VERY "charm" and specialness of the area that purportedly got it noticed in the first place.

Plenty of people are going to continue to find the area on their own; let them make the discovery and do their own research. Don't walk around every city-data forum with a sandwich board saying "If you move to Wake County, you will have no regrets for as long as you live", convincing people to come here without doing their OWN research and finding out what is best for THEM (not you). I love the fact that we are "on the map" and that people want to live here, I just want them to have "the right reasons" for coming here, one of which is NOT that some dude on an Internet forum couldn't shut up about why they should move here NOW.
City-Data won't let me give you reps on this one, but this is one of the best posts I've read.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 AM

226 posts, read 610,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I wish people would stop spreading this kind of misinformation. Raleigh's level of unemployment is just about at the average for the US. We're right in the middle of the great to Detroit continuum of people without jobs. Tied for #181 isn't "still one of the best".

I'm all for you guys - or just guy, I can't keep up with the ever changing user names - being able to perform your "no realtor left behind" charity work, but at least do it using accurate data.
According to the NC Employment Security Commission, the unemployment rates as of November 2008 were:
Raleigh 5.2%
Cary 4.3%
Durham 5.4%
Chapel Hill 3.6%

Compared to National unemployment at 7.2% (December data)
NC statewide 7.8%
Charlotte 7%
Gastonia 9.3%
Goldsboro 8.4%

Hence my statement that we are still one of the best areas for employment in the country.

http://eslmi40.esc.state.nc.us/Thema...sp/CLFAASY.asp

NC December data has not been released yet.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
Interesting when compared to MA:
Workforce Development (http://lmi2.detma.org/lmi/Newsrelease/NewsLMI20081218.htm - broken link)
Quote:
The Massachusetts unemployment rate is below the national rate which increased from 6.5 percent in October to 6.7 percent in November.
The Triangle is no Detroit, MI. I'm happy to be here. But it's not the promised land either.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
As Charlton Dude says, I think it's time for everyone to Exit MA Now so they can get In & Out of that mess up north as soon as they can!

As far as this big-bad high-tax Massachusetts thing is concerned, I thought I'd be getting a big break there as well, but has anyone noticed that the income tax rate in Massachusetts is 12% lower than in North Carolina? And no sales tax on food as well. That was unpleasant to learn. And according to the only even marginally reliable numbers I could find, Massachusetts' state & local tax burden is 23d highest in the nation while North Carolina's is -- surprise! -- 20th. Wow. How about that. Exit MA Now, indeed.
Yep..i remember when they mentioned that on WRAL a few years ago....the "catcher" they had for the news (the little snipit they give you during network commercial breaks and then say "find out at 6)...was " North Carolina now has a higher tax burden than Massachusetts, find out the details tonight".

Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
NH? No thanks...

Mass. migrants changing the face of N.H. - The Boston Globe
Quote:
A recent study conducted by the University of New Hampshire confirms what curmudgeons in these parts have been complaining about for a long time: The Granite State may be turning into a suburb of Boston.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...orking-ma.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITNick View Post
I live in NH and work in MA. MA is simply where the high paying jobs exist. If I could I would work in NH. If you do, and you work in Boston, expect a two hour commute ... and keep your eyes peeled in the bumper to bumper driving. Work off hours and it is less than 45 minutes to get to south of Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Are we REALLY going to start this again? Come on dude! Give it a rest!

As far as the person moving from NH .........WHAT?!?! lol

With the exception of having warmer weather I can't for the life if me figure out why someone would consider NC to have a higher QOL than NH! NH is so beautiful! Everything is well kept, low unemployment statewide, low crime statewide...closer to the ocean AND mountains, low taxes (these are things that everyone cites as their reasons for wanting to move to NC...but from what I've seen, they are even more true in NH). Unless you really really don't like cold winters, I can't imagine why you'd rather live in NC than NH. It would be my first choice to live if proximity to family wasn't my main reason for moving back to NY. I guess everyone has varying preferences though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary