Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Many people are hurting in North Carolina and it is not recession proof as you make it out to be.

Read my post again. I did not say the Triangle is recession proof. I said everyone will experience some pain. My point is that the Triangle will fair better than the disaster around the country. You have to live somewhere, so it may as well be a strong place like the Triangle.

You also state that people are hurting in North Carolina. This is a Triangle forum, not the NC forum. The thread is about the Triangle, which is doing much better than the state as a whole.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM

226 posts, read 610,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmberinNC View Post
To Charlton Dude
A big WHATEVER to that
this area was flooded with people thinking it was some gold mine.
I remember reading Raleigh tops the list, Raleigh best place for business blah blah blah
So many people actually beleiving this false hype we are hurting like the rest of the nation just not as bad but we are still hurting
Now trying to find a job its nearly impossible
Yes, we still feel the pain of this downturn, but we are not nearly as bad off as the rest of the nation! Those of us that have jobs...keep working hard to keep them...those of us that don't...work hard to get them and best of luck.

We are still in one of the best areas for employment in the country. If you think it's bad "here"...be glad you're not "there".

Count your blessings and persevere!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
Dude, how about trying an experiment before you have the whole country picking up and moving here:

Even though you're currently employed, how about sending out some resumes and see how quickly you get a job offer. How long has it been since you've been on the job market??? I've been looking for months here and can't find a thing......

No we don't have double digit unemployment here, but it is still a very difficult job market.

However, if you're somehow plugged in to an unlimited resource of jobs here, please by all means, throw me a bone or two as I can't live off my credit cards much longer and need a job desperately!

Last edited by hula; 01-09-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM

264 posts, read 907,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Read my post again. I did not say the Triangle is recession proof. I said everyone will experience some pain. My point is that the Triangle will fair better than the disaster around the country. You have to live somewhere, so it may as well be a strong place like the Triangle.

You also state that people are hurting in North Carolina. This is a Triangle forum, not the NC forum. The thread is about the Triangle, which is doing much better than the state as a whole.
Ok, the Triangle is not recession proof and many people are hurting, just because you are not hurting{which I am glad} does not mean you run to the internet and announce to the world that the triangle is being spared from pain.

Remember pride comes before the fall.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydude View Post
What area exactly is the triangle? I might want to look into it for relocation from what you have to say about it, it sounds like a good place. I would be coming from NH.

The Triangle is an area roughly made up of points in and around North Carolina State University, Duke University and UNC. We are home to Research Triangle Park, which is the biggest research park in the world. We have excellent growth, a very balanced industry makeup and highly educated residents. The area is extremely stable compared to the rest of the country. Our housing market has slowed from the hyper-speed it was previously cruising at, but overall values are holding fairly steady. We never had a bubble market here. Things just take longer to sell now and areas that are not as popular are feeling some pricing pressure, but no bottom dropping out. There have been employers laying off, but others hiring. We are relatively neutral in net jobs, which is a remarkable accomplishment in the economic downturn the rest of the country is facing. We thank our lucky stars that we got out of the northeast and moved here in time.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
All those thinking of moving here without a job, please proceed with extreme caution!! In other words, don't believe everything you read.....

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Glad to hear that you like it in NC. It's good to hear positive comments about the area!

Thanks. Yes, appreciating all the positive things we have here is nice and so much more enjoyable than focusing on the minor negatives or worse yet making up negatives. Even from a distance, you have always been aware of how great this area is. I can't wait for you to join us. You will be a wonderful and welcomed addition.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Actually, we are looking at Raleigh, among other cities, to relocate to from West MI. I'm not sure how much doom and gloom currently exist in the Triangle, but it's really scary here. Double digit unemployment, crime increasing, police being laid off, every type of store, restaurant and what have you going out of business. I'm sure some of this is going on in the Triangle too, just like most places, but I'm curious how much.

Our first choice is Knoxville TN, but things are going down hill there. We like Raleigh due to the weather, proximity to the ocean, bible belt, low crime and friendly people. Though the OP painted a great picture of the area, are any of you seeing things going down the toilet like us in MI or is the OP fairly accurate?

Hopefully CarolinaCowboy will chime in. He has been traveling around the country and has had some great input about the rest of the country compared to here. I share in his dire forecast for the rest of the country and his appreciation of how much better it is here. Of course we will feel some pain here, but everyone is going to feel pain. The question is, which area will feel less of it and recover quicker. My answer to that is the Triangle...........easily. For the most part right now, other than a slowing housing market, I can't tell there is a recession without turning on the news.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Then, maybe my alter ego will chime in!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
All those thinking of moving here without a job, please proceed with extreme caution!! In other words, don't believe everything you read.....
THANK YOU! Remember, each and every person who moves here without a job (but wanting one) drives the unemployment rate up quite literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary