Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 AM

130 posts, read 390,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Now I am even more confused. You went on about how good Mebane schools are, but have considered putting your child(ren) into a school that has children from Chapel Hill in it? Won't you get infected with the Chapel Hill Syndrome? Won't the parents that infect their children lead to your children having the Syndrome?

This all makes my head hurt.

Don't they test for reading comprehension down in Wake Co?

I said South Mebane Elementary was off the charts good.

It's a toss up right now between Cedar Ridge and Eastern Alamance. The principle then will determine the school culture..... and our choice....years from now.

For further reading on the subject of picking schools by means other than STATS I refer you to The Little Prince

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Last edited by 2BZee2Pee; 04-30-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
It's a toss up right now between Cedar Ridge and Eastern Alamance. The principle then will determine the school culture..... and our choice....years from now.

Don't they teach spelling in Mebane? I think you mean principal (although at this point I'm so confused by your "wit", I'm not even sure).

Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Why are you people responding to this as if it were (a) lucent and (b) serious?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM

130 posts, read 390,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Don't they teach spelling in Mebane? I think you mean principal (although at this point I'm so confused by your "wit", I'm not even sure).

can't spell for .................course pointing it out is bad form....another thing they teach over here........

Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Why are you people responding to this as if it were (a) lucent and (b) serious?
"Lucent was bought by AlcaTel quite some time back. Trades under the symbol 'ALU.' Still an empty LU building in Regency in Cary," he remarked, lucidly and seriously.
Well, in keeping with the proceedings, not all that seriously, but surely accurately.

He got his learnin' in a small cow-town school, as the school marms faded away, but before anyone did all this gobbledygook-just-for-the-sake-of-argument testing stuff...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Before we Chapel Hill residents start to pat ourselves on the back for the quality of our schools, let's keep in mind that output reports regarding student achievement in any given school do not tend to normalize for the inputs. Some of what is measured regarding Chapel Hill schools is the result of the quality of students they get - it's not solely a measure of what the schools are able to achieve with those students. That any one school has higher student achievement than another school is not necessarily proof of the quality of the school - it could as much be proof of the quality of the student.
Well, before living the last 3.5 years in Chapel Hill, we lived for 8 years in Durham where I sang the virtues of Forest View Elementary elsewhere in City-Data. So I don't have a Chapel Hill bias. Of course there is a self-selection bias going on when it comes to performance of CH-C schools/kids. But that's what makes 2BZ's claim about South Mebane Elementary that much more silly.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,177 times
It boggles my mind that this thread will hit 7 pages. Seven pages of nothing . . . sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 AM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sure - perfectly valid. Look at the data that's out there and determine if it is based on the things you are looking for for your child. But don't get fooled into thinking the "best school" is necessarily best for your child. For example, if you've got an "average" kid, does it matter how many AP courses they offer (which are a big factor in the magazine rankings)?
Of course it wouldn't matter if I had an "average" child. There are many factors that go into a quality education for any child. But I do not go into this with blinders on. I have a degree in education, I know what to look out for when it comes to my (imaginary) child.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Don't they test for reading comprehension down in Wake Co?
I wouldn't know, I didn't go to school in Wake County.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
It boggles my mind that this thread will hit 7 pages. Seven pages of nothing . . . sounds like a Seinfeld episode.
"I remember her name... Dolores!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary