Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times

Advertisements

Broughton High School
Broughton High School
Broughton High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
For reference, are the public high schools in North Raleigh considered to be these four?

Sanderson
Wakefield
Millbrook
Leesville Road

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Yes, they do...but so many deaths and arrests lately shows a deeper issue that Wakefield needs to address. I hope the new principal and more parental involvement, as well as student initiatives are going to help stop the culture there that lets teens think this is how to be cool.

Even without all that. Wakefield is not one of the strongest academic high schools in the area. Athens Drive is normally considered a stronger school then Wakefield for example.

And how come you didn't mention Raleigh Charter school? Not the cache of being private, but considered at the very top nationwide in many polls.
Yes I like Raleigh Charter, Athens drive is also top notch I was substitute teaching there today. Great mix of students there!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
For base high schools in North Raleigh I would choose Leesville. You can also find the SAT scores for all these schools at www.wcpss.net. Leesville has one of the higher SAT scores in the county for base schools. Yes, there are some schools with higher SAT scores but they are not base and on a lottery system.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
None of these schools are really better than than the others, IMO. I grew up in Wake County and graduated from Athens Drive, actually back then, it was a horrible school. I think it's improved since then, but part of the reason why ALL of these schools have improved is through bussing and maintaing a cross balance of student cultures. It did NOT used to be like that. Of course Wakefield and Leesville were not around then, but Sanderson and Broughton WERE and they had pretty bad reputations associated with them. Luckily, they have all shed their past images and reputations and have stepped up to the plate. All of them are just as good for the student who CHOOSES to excel academically.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
For base high schools in North Raleigh I would choose Leesville. You can also find the SAT scores for all these schools at www.wcpss.net. Leesville has one of the higher SAT scores in the county for base schools. Yes, there are some schools with higher SAT scores but they are not base and on a lottery system.
Unfortunately, the scores don't tell it all. Leesville has a reputation for having worse drug issues than some of the others. Wakefield has issues with drinking. I KNOW all the high schools have their share of problems but I'm just saying that you can't go totally by scores. If the student wants to excell like latisha said, they will. If they want drugs and alcohol, they'll get them too.
Vicki

Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
None of these schools are really better than than the others, IMO. I grew up in Wake County and graduated from Athens Drive, actually back then, it was a horrible school. I think it's improved since then, but part of the reason why ALL of these schools have improved is through bussing and maintaing a cross balance of student cultures. It did NOT used to be like that. Of course Wakefield and Leesville were not around then, but Sanderson and Broughton WERE and they had pretty bad reputations associated with them. Luckily, they have all shed their past images and reputations and have stepped up to the plate. All of them are just as good for the student who CHOOSES to excel academically.
It's hard to compare what the schools used to be, compared to what they are now.

I agree that a motivated student can get a good education at any high school in Wake County...that is why the the district as a whole is so good....but let's also be honest....each school is going to offer things that others don't.

That is why a parent should still look at the strengthes of the student in question and then what each high school has to offer.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
That's what I'm trying to say. There is no "best" or "strongest". Even when you sit down and compare objective measures, such as test scores. It doesn't give the whole picture of the school in general, it's teachers and administrators, it's atmosphere, it's attitudes. You may have a student who excels in the arts and one of those schools offers more in that area than the others. Does that make it a better school? I've gone through this system, as well as my own children, (some of which are still in it). There are pros and cons to each one, but they balance out in other areas. No school in this system is perfect, but none are the "best" either.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM

161 posts, read 602,181 times
Sanderson, Millbrook, Wakefield and Leesville Road are all in North Raleigh, and small parts of what is considered North Raleigh are districted to Broughton or Wake Forest-Rolesville, or at least used to be. All six are considered good schools, but I agree with lamishra that each has its own strengths.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Thanks, misterbrown, for the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary