Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 PM

404 posts, read 2,616,281 times

Advertisements

is boylan heights a good area if you have small childern(2 years old0.
Any word on how wiley elementary is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
Pushing this back up - My husband is also interested in Boylan Heights - he would love to find a home to renovate.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Pushing this back up - My husband is also interested in Boylan Heights - he would love to find a home to renovate.
I love the historic districts.
If the property is good, you have to jump on it. They go fast.
Get your financing lined up, and when you see the one you want, nail it down.
Make sure he is versed on the Raleigh Historic District Commission information and requirements for exterior preservation.
It is not a simple process, and it can be very helpful to engage an experienced architect to help design and present the plan.

http://www.rhdc.org/

Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 AM

Good advice, Mike - thanks!

My husband works in construction and so I'd like to think he's UTD on all of the processes and requirements ( ), but I will definitely bookmark the URL for reference.

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Good advice, Mike - thanks!

My husband works in construction and so I'd like to think he's UTD on all of the processes and requirements ( ), but I will definitely bookmark the URL for reference.

Thanks again!
Read the submittal process closely, and make a phone call to the City for more information. They will be helpful.
My architect friends tell me that they actually like to see cut sheets for a project before providing a Certificate of Appropriateness.
And neighbors tend to be very active in protecting appearances on renovations. The Historic designation supports the value of the homes in the neighborhoods and provides the margins to renovators.
It pays to meet the neighbors and fill them in on the project.

Tell your husband I really like the opportunity at 305 Cutler Street.
That one would work him... But it has to be "bought right."

Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And neighbors tend to be very active in protecting appearances on renovations. The Historic designation supports the value of the homes in the neighborhoods and provides the margins to renovators.
It pays to meet the neighbors and fill them in on the project.

Tell your husband I really like the opportunity at 305 Cutler Street.
Will do - thanks again!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I really like the opportunity at 305 Cutler Street.
I noticed this house is listed with Tango Realty. Seems like a lot of homes in the historic areas are. Anybody know why that is? Just curious. I like the look of that house from the outside, I just wish there were some interior pics available on the web. I love looking at the interior of these historic homes. You just can't beat living that close to downtown!

BTW Ctribucher, I just like to look so you don't have to worry about me competing with you for the house! Glad to hear you are considering Boylan Heights! Good luck with the search and let us know how things turn out if you decide to buy something in that area!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
BTW Ctribucher, I just like to look so you don't have to worry about me competing with you for the house! Glad to hear you are considering Boylan Heights! Good luck with the search and let us know how things turn out if you decide to buy something in that area!
No competition yet - my husband and I just moved to Raleigh about a month ago. We're still just looking too!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I noticed this house is listed with Tango Realty. Seems like a lot of homes in the historic areas are. Anybody know why that is? Just curious. I like the look of that house from the outside, I just wish there were some interior pics available on the web. I love looking at the interior of these historic homes. You just can't beat living that close to downtown!

NRG,
It has been 5 or 6 apartments. For a long time. MAJOR work to bring it back to an SFR, historically, or otherwise.
And there will likely be a structural engineer heavily involved in the plans.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM

161 posts, read 602,443 times
Canine, back to your original question, there are right many young families in Boylan Heights. Check out the neighborhood web site at www.boylanheights.org and you will get a better feel for the neighborhood. I have many friends there; it is a close-knit, friendly, beautiful, charming area, also very close to downtown, N.C. State, Pullen Park. Its a two-minute walk to the Dorothea Dix grounds, a wonderful place to walk.

Wiley Elementary School is a good school from all I've heard; lots of kids with well-educated parents. It is in a beautiful Jacobean Revival building.

North Raleigh Guy, I believe Tango Realty is basically selling all the properties of a particular landlord who is unloading. They are fine houses, but have been apartments for many years and will probably need a lot of work. Several landlords are unloading rentals in the historic neighborhoods because of the increase in their value; they can buy much cheaper houses in other areas and make almost as much in rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary