Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM

478 posts, read 2,046,924 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much, lamishra for all the info you provided in this thread. Incredibly helpful and I wouldn't have found this info on my own. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 PM

709 posts, read 936,661 times
No Wake County Public School System employee shall provide information to any student about where to obtain contraceptives and/or abortion referral services.

All WCPSS staff are expected to promote the message that abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage is the expected standard for all school-age children.

Two idiotic statutes! ridiculus. Bible belt idiocy.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 PM

35 posts, read 124,955 times
Would you rather they be taught pick up lines?

The curriculum also includes prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies, and other health topics. I don't think they are addresssing the issue from the church's perpective. I think they are promoting healthy choices for teenagers these days and that should include recommending abstinence as one choice.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM

842 posts, read 3,231,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
Would you rather they be taught pick up lines?
OH GOD YES! That would have been sooo useful in college!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,923 times
Why can't the school system teach abstinence, which even though I'm not religious I would prefer for my children, and have the PARENTS take responsibility for teaching children about safe sex? "Hey daughter/son, we think abstinence is the best choice until you are older, however we know that may not be the path you choose. In the event you choose to have any kind of sex, please take the following precautions..." Not a comfortable conversation, but it needs to be brought up by a parent.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM

238 posts, read 228,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
No Wake County Public School System employee shall provide information to any student about where to obtain contraceptives and/or abortion referral services.

All WCPSS staff are expected to promote the message that abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage is the expected standard for all school-age children.

Two idiotic statutes! ridiculus. Bible belt idiocy.

If you don't like the Bible Belt, stay out. New York City sound like a great destination for you.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM

238 posts, read 228,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Why can't the school system teach abstinence, which even though I'm not religious I would prefer for my children, and have the PARENTS take responsibility for teaching children about safe sex? "Hey daughter/son, we think abstinence is the best choice until you are older, however we know that may not be the path you choose. In the event you choose to have any kind of sex, please take the following precautions..." Not a comfortable conversation, but it needs to be brought up by a parent.

EXCELLENT point made. Sex education should be the responsibility of parents, period. Other than teaching basic biology I don't think it's the role of schools to teach any sort of morality of sexual behavior. That includes teaching kids methods of birth control, which is like saying here's a gun. I'm sure you won't be using it, but if you do, here's how to aim and fire.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,065,596 times
Pardon me, but perhaps some of you missed BCR's post from earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'd note that the original poster's question, which was Wake County-specific, has been answered. Should folks want to debate the merits of abstinence-only education vs. a sex education that includes info on contraceptive methods in a universal, non-Triangle way -- please use the Off Topic or Politics forums here at City-Data. This helps keep our Triangle forum on topic.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
EXCELLENT point made. Sex education should be the responsibility of parents, period. Other than teaching basic biology I don't think it's the role of schools to teach any sort of morality of sexual behavior. That includes teaching kids methods of birth control, which is like saying here's a gun. I'm sure you won't be using it, but if you do, here's how to aim and fire.
Judging from teen pregnancy and STD rates, its seems there's a significant number of of parents that aren't doing a good job of teaching their kids about sex, abstinence or birth control. From a public health standpoint, it makes sense to provide good information to kids on how to minimize their risk of pregnancy or contracting a disease. Parents should have the right to prevent their children from receiving such information from the schools, and hopefully those that do will give their kids good information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary