Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pin and Pen - pronounced the same; wait for the visual aid to decipher which one they mean or add "a writing..."and let them finish the sentence.
Actually, they would say "INK pen". Many call all such implements "ink pens" which, yes, is redundant (as is "tuna fish"--is that just a Southern thing, too? We wouldn't say "a tuna sandwich", but "a tuna fish sandwich").

Quote:
Got any nabs? - they usually mean the yellow cracker with peanut butter.
Nabs (always capitalized) most properly mean Lance "Toast-Chee" orange crackers with peanut butter, but can be generalized to all such crackers that come 6 to a pack.

And as for the Pepsi/Coke thing--soft drinks might be "sodas" or they might be called generically "cokes" (even if you mean Pepsi or Sprite or something else) but are never, ever EVER called "pop" *shudder*!

Personally I say "to-BOG-gan", but I have heard "TOE-boggan"; however I believe that trait goes with other regional pronunciation nuances and is not limited to that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
In Rochester, NY, we also said standing "in line" and not "on line." We also said "tuna fish" (which doesn't bother me; it just sounds right even if it isn't).

I've heard TV reporters here say a burglar was wearing a toboggan. The mental image does make me giggle every time. You can be sure if I saw a man with a toboggan on his head, I'd call 911! (We just say "knit cap.")

My son was 5 when we moved here; he's 22 now. When he goes back to Rochester, they say he sounds like he's BRITISH! I don't hear any Southern -- or British -- accent in his speech. I've always thought he looked a bit like Prince William; maybe that's it.

Last week, I heard my husband say to someone that I "talked Southern," and I was shocked! I guess I picked up a bit of his native Raleigh accent, but when I'm on the phone with my Rochester sister, I know my "A's" are as flaaaaaaaaaat as hers.

I do know I sometimes say "carry" as in "I'll carry him to your house" when I used to say "bring." It surprises me when Southern words pop out of my mouth.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-22-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
In Rochester, NY, we also said standing "in line" and not "on line." We also said "tuna fish" (which doesn't bother me; it just sounds right even if it isn't).
I'm pretty sure that ONLY in the NYC metro (Long Island, NJ) dothey say "on line"...but since we have such a large influx of that demographic in particular, it's worth mentioning. I'd be curious to know about the "tuna va tuna fish" usage (being a Lingustics major with an interest in regional dialects).

Quote:
I've heard TV reporters here say a burglar was wearing a toboggan. The mental image does make me giggle every time. You can be sure if I saw a man with a toboggan on his head, I'd call 911! (We just say "knit cap.")
Well, if someone is described as wearing a "muffler" around his neck, do you think of the automotive part? It's no different

Quote:
My son was 5 when we moved here; he's 22 now. When he goes back to Rochester, they say he sounds like he's BRITISH! I don't hear any Southern -- or British -- accent in his speech at all.
Yup, that's what I was saying...folks who grow up here around so many regional accents tend to revert to a "generic" one that apparently reminds some people of British or Australian!

Quote:
I do know I sometimes say "carry" as in "I'll carry him to your house" when I used to say "bring."
He, even I don't say that! My dad does, though....but my dad has some real doozies. At least we don't "mash" the elevator button, which many Southerners do!

And of course you know, "bring" is not correct, either--it's "take" (you bring something towards yourself, or take it away from yourself). I have heard other folks who grew up in NY use "bring" in that way, though

Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Yes, yes, yes. Bring/take.

I know a writer/copy editor who types all her casual online communications in lower case and hardly any punctuation. That's not how I roll (usually), but I think she might be on to something. She writes properly only when she's getting paid.

I know there are a couple of typos in my first post in this thread, and I just have to let it go. Inhale. Exhale.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-22-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Literally every person I work with has a southern accent, except my bosses boss. They were all born and raised in NC, with most of them being from Raleigh. They are all pretty strong accents too, but it is something I am very used to at this point.

I was also in the military with 2 guys from NC and they both called their winter caps, Toboggans. In fact that is the first time I had ever hear that term used, when they told me it was called a toboggan. It could be a military thing though?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:49 PM

393 posts, read 673,745 times
Quote:
Note: The original beltline (440) used to be referred to as the "inner beltline" and "outer beltline," depending upon which direction you were going. Those terms have been changed in an effort to make them easier to understand. Here is a TV story about it: Inner? Outer? Beltline confusion ends soon :: WRAL.com
inner and outer beltline are still being used on the small signs as you enter the beltline. I saw them there last week.

Quote:
12. 540 - This beltline is newer and can be considered the "outer" beltline. It does not yet circle the entire Raleigh area. Do not say "the 540." It's just "540" or "the outer beltline."
I could be wrong (though I doubt it), but I think most would consider 540 to be the outer "loop", not the outer "beltline". Either way, most just say 540. Soon it will just be called "toll".

Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I was also in the military with 2 guys from NC and they both called their winter caps, Toboggans. In fact that is the first time I had ever hear that term used, when they told me it was called a toboggan. It could be a military thing though?
Absolutely not! See the above posts--it's what we call them in NC, all over.

Quote:
I think most would consider 540 to be the outer "loop", not the outer "beltline". Either way, most just say 540.
Correct: 540 is NOT the "Outer Beltline", it is the "Outer Loop", aka "540" (not "I-540" or Gd forbid "The 540", just "540").

Oh, one more thing about NC: we have many cities and towns that end with "-ville" (Fayetteville, Greenville, Reidsville, Asheville...). The "proper" pronunciation of the last syllable is "v'l", with no vowel. "GREEN-vl", "FAYETT-v'l", "REEDS-vl", "ASH-vl". Not "-VILL" The only exception is "Biscuitville" But that's a whole NOTHER tangent...!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Correct: 540 is NOT the "Outer Beltline", it is the "Outer Loop", aka "540" (not "I-540" or Gd forbid "The 540", just "540").
In fact, part of 540 is I-540, and part of 540 is NC540 (the part that will be a toll road).

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwoodMy son was 5 when we moved here; he's 22 now. When he goes back to Rochester, they say he sounds like he's BRITISH! I don't hear any Southern -- or British -- accent in his speech at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yup, that's what I was saying...folks who grow up here around so many regional accents tend to revert to a "generic" one that apparently reminds some people of British or Australian!
That's interesting that y'all said that. I grew up in the Triad and I've heard that many, many times. The conversation usually goes like this.

Where are you from? NC

Where are your parents from? NC. Both sides of my family grew up in NC, going back many generations.

Really? I thought you were British or something. No, I'm American. I've lived in NC my entire life.

Hmmm

Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Uh oh, my wife calls me those all the time. I'm gonna have to start wearing a name tag. I just hope it doesn't rip off too much chest hair.
yep, I forgot to say shuug is also a term of endearment for someone special. But to be safe, wear the nametag on your jammies just in case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary