Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapelHillOrBust View Post
We are moving from the North Shore of Long Island to Chapel Hill. We did a careful study of areas we would want to move to and Chapel Hill hit the mark.

Our costs will go down substantially (more than 1/2) both in shedding our 7 figure home with twenty something in taxes along with the second highest costs of utility in the county. We're fortunate in that we will be able to produce the same income or more in NC as we do in NY.

However, the biggest plus for us is lifestyle and I'm certain that you might have already found that as well. Living on the North Shore of Long Island isn't always easy. It's often a competitive environment and we don't find people friendly here. We used to wave and smile a lot to people but after you don't receive these things back you stop.

We don't want to stop, we want to live in a place where people are friendly and kind to each other. Of course, we know that not everyone is friendly but it appears to us that when we are in Chapel Hill most everyone we met was friendly. There was no beeping horns and people seemed to be in less of a hurry. Living here is like living on a treadmill.

We're thrilled to be moving in just about 8 months - We're coming down in a few weeks to figure out a community and look at homes. Chapel Hill here we come!

I moved from the North Shore, Setauket and love it here, you wont be dissappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Re: your Q about the dating scene. Raleigh area is kinda big on home entertaining. So you should be open to invites to attend a cook-out or watch a ballgame (college) at someone's home. Many neighborhoods have get togethers at their clubhouse put on by their HOA, consider those as a way to meet more people who can intro you to more people
That said, folks like the scene downtown, Glenwood Ave area. You'll see folks in 20's-40's. But mostly 20s/30s'. I'd suggest finding an affinity group on MeetUp.com

Hope you like this area!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM

10 posts, read 14,968 times
Default thinking of relocating from Long Island to Raleigh area

Thank you for your replies. All of you have hit the mark on the head. Long Island today does not resemble the Island as we knew it growing up 30-40 years ago. The raleigh area seems to have alot of pros, so I'll have to visit the area to get my " gut-feelings " on how I feel. Your info. was very helpful and insightful. Thank you.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM

11 posts, read 28,208 times
My friends from Nassau County have really liked Cary and actually live in the Preston area. Several folks from upstate I know have liked smaller towns like Wake Forest and Garner because they are still close enough to the Raleigh/ Durham/ Chapel Hill area that major work centers and shopping malls are within a reasonable distance but the towns are smaller and offer a "village" type feel. Research the smaller towns and see what you think.

FYI- I lived in next to Corning, NY when I was growing up. I am originally from NC but did not live here long. We moved back in '85 and lived in North Raleigh.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 AM

25 posts, read 80,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack kennedy View Post
Thank you for your replies. All of you have hit the mark on the head. Long Island today does not resemble the Island as we knew it growing up 30-40 years ago. The raleigh area seems to have alot of pros, so I'll have to visit the area to get my " gut-feelings " on how I feel. Your info. was very helpful and insightful. Thank you.
Hi Jack, we moved to Wake Forest (just outside of Raleigh) from Oceanside in 07 and we love it. It reminds me so much of growing up on the Island 30 years ago. We have noticed that places close up a lot earlier than they do on LI, I'm married and not looking for a big social life but the few times I have tried to "go out on the town" it was somewhat disappointing.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
When I lived in NYC back in the late 80s, I ran into many New Yorkers who expressed the desire to move to NC. I think this started when people from NY tried retiring here and fell in love. Word spread among their friends and relatives back north and it snowballed.

So Jack, you'll be in good company as you have no doubt seen with the replies to your thread. As a native NC'er, I say welcome. I found most New Yorkers to be very kind people.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
I think the real reason is that most LIer's come here and look and see that this area looks like LI when they were a child and want the same for their children, a more simpler life with no BS.
So, does this imply that with everyone moving from there down here, this area will be just like LI is now, in 30 years??

What is the guarantee that "something" won't change this area from "LI of 30 years ago" to "LI of 2009", in 30 years? Especially with everybody on the whole Island all moving here en masse?

Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM

49 posts, read 88,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So, does this imply that with everyone moving from there down here, this area will be just like LI is now, in 30 years??

What is the guarantee that "something" won't change this area from "LI of 30 years ago" to "LI of 2009", in 30 years? Especially with everybody on the whole Island all moving here en masse?
I understand how you feel. However, please let me say with confidence that it doesn't have to be like that.

I lived in Scottsdale, AZ (Phoenix) and it was wonderful to see how people got together and brought ideas that they thought would work all to one place. All the would-of-should of's that people complained about from where they were from; were able to be implemented because the area was newer and ready for development. Because we were able to see how things worked in other places, if we knew of something that just DIDN'T work, then we didn't do the same thing. We were able to change it for the better!
From what I have seen, that is pretty much what is going on in the Triangle area.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
Outside of the high taxes in primarily Nassau Co., there really is nothing wrong with Long Island. It's beautiful and has a great proximity to Manhattan. Great beaches, good schools, lovely neighborhoods. The traffic is horrible but that's because it's an island and there are only two ways to get off of it (outside the ferry). I don't see this area becoming LI because it's so different, no matter how many people move down here. We have family in LI and know lots of people there and none of them are interested in moving South. I don't think it's a concern.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
I am curious what the draw is to Raleigh, North Carolina - for those who have moved from Long Island, New York? Why North Carolina over other states?
For us it was many things. Cost of living - at least for houses and property taxes. Everything else is about the same. Weather - we wanted a warmer climate. Sick of the snow and also wanted to be within driving distance of family. Florida had no appeal...hurricanes, gators, too humid in the summer etc. West coast was too far and not cheap and mid west would not help for the snow factor. Narrowed our search to NC, made a trip there and loved it! Looked up a ton of information online...as others here are. Forums are great for that! We've been here 4 1/2 years and love it! I think some move back for the reason my boss wants to - not taking to people being overly polite. She thought of it as being fake and preferred the rudeness ( yes, all true..not making this up! ). To her it was at least honest and you know where you stand. While that might be helpful at times, I prefer nice and polite. My friend, while she never moved claims she can't live outside of NYC. Which is a joke since she never goes INTO the city for ANYTHING! If you are open to new things, people, experiences I think you will be fine. If you can't bear to part with were you live...don't move! Be honest with yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary