Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 AM

66 posts, read 143,502 times

Advertisements

We recently moved down to NC for my husband's 2 year position at Duke U. from Manhattan. I grew up on the North Shore of Long Island, and my husband grew up on the Jersey Shore. I think that the Triangle Area is a great place to raise a family, and there are lots of fun, outdoor activities to do in the area and within 3 hours of the area (many weekend day trips -- which we need to get a head start on making). Just the other week, I went to a beautiful park in North Raleigh that surrounds a lake - Lake Lynn. There are also lot of activities to do related to music, theatre and arts, and great restaurants and nightlife venues in the area. A few weeks ago, I went with my husband to a beer festival that featured over 100 brewers.

There is a very nice blend of people here, from all over the country, including NY, which really makes it an interesting place to live. I have met people from Alabama, Washington, DC, Missouri, California, South Carolina - the list goes on - and everyone seems to get along very well. People who are transplanted here as well as people who have lived here their whole lives whom I have met have been very friendly, open, and welcoming.

I was a college student in the area, and I think the singles scene is great for people in their 20's, but I am not sure how it is for those in their 40's.

I am a new mom in the area, and I joined a meetup group targeted at people like myself, and this did help me to meet lots of people. I would suggest the same for you. Join a few of these groups based on your interests, and you will meet people .

I would also suggest renting a place when you initially make the move. We bought our place without really knowing the area. While we like our place a lot, we may need more space since we are constantly receiving visitors. We also may need to relocate for my husband's job again after the 2 years are up, and while I think our place would sell pretty easily, the market is definitely uncertain, and there are selling costs involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm sure you didn't mean it to be offensive, but even your "disclaimer" is patronizing. "It appears to me that things are going great there because of the large influx of people to your great city."

Things are going great BECAUSE OF the influx of people? What makes you think things weren't going great here already? Why do you think something was "wrong" with this area before, that it took "an influx of new people" to fix??

Seems to me you have it backwards--people are coming here BECAUSE it's a great place to live, NOT that it's a great place to live BECAUSE of all the new people. :eyeroll:
Clearly, that is what the poster meant.

(hope that passes)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
+1 Francois

Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 71,186 times
Mishellina,

I'm moving from Virginia and trying to get an idea of how things are in Raleigh. How well do New Yorkers assimilate to the NC pace and culture?

For example, I have had many conversations before with people from NY, and they often interrupt when speaking.. for example I just got off the telephone on a business call with someone from NY and she "answered" my questions before I even finished asking my questions. Compare this to a conversation with an average person from the South, and they will let you finish your whole sentence before they respond.

In summary, I think that NY culture is impatient.. drivers are also more aggressive. Compared to Southern culture, where people have more patience and are much more friendly.

I have heard the expression said before- typically loud and proud, "You can take the girl out of New York but you can't take New York out of the girl!" So in summary - How well do New Yorkers assimilate to the NC pace and culture? Do they slow down and get into the Southern pace or do they bring Long Island with them?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
For us it was many things. Cost of living - at least for houses and property taxes. Everything else is about the same. Weather - we wanted a warmer climate. Sick of the snow and also wanted to be within driving distance of family. Florida had no appeal...hurricanes, gators, too humid in the summer etc. West coast was too far and not cheap and mid west would not help for the snow factor. Narrowed our search to NC, made a trip there and loved it! Looked up a ton of information online...as others here are. Forums are great for that! We've been here 4 1/2 years and love it! I think some move back for the reason my boss wants to - not taking to people being overly polite. She thought of it as being fake and preferred the rudeness ( yes, all true..not making this up! ). To her it was at least honest and you know where you stand. While that might be helpful at times, I prefer nice and polite. My friend, while she never moved claims she can't live outside of NYC. Which is a joke since she never goes INTO the city for ANYTHING! If you are open to new things, people, experiences I think you will be fine. If you can't bear to part with were you live...don't move! Be honest with yourself.

Last edited by stevetrice3000; 11-09-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 02:49 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Mishellina,

I'm moving from Virginia and trying to get an idea of how things are in Raleigh. How well do New Yorkers assimilate to the NC pace and culture?

For example, I have had many conversations before with people from NY, and they often interrupt when speaking.. for example I just got off the telephone on a business call with someone from NY and she "answered" my questions before I even finished asking my questions. Compare this to a conversation with an average person from the South, and they will let you finish your whole sentence before they respond.

In summary, I think that NY culture is impatient.. drivers are also more aggressive. Compared to Southern culture, where people have more patience and are much more friendly.

I have heard the expression said before- typically loud and proud, "You can take the girl out of New York but you can't take New York out of the girl!" So in summary - How well do New Yorkers assimilate to the NC pace and culture? Do they slow down and get into the Southern pace or do they bring Long Island with them?

Thank you!

I think it depends on the person. Most who look to move here are sick of the things you mentioned and want to get out. You will run into people with the accent still but doesn't mean they are rude. I give them a chance to make that first impression. I have to say any transplants I've met have been great! Many look for that same thing you are looking for. Be open and don't judge all NY/NJ people to be that way. <---- Not saying you are..lol just asking to have an open mind. Trust me I've known my share but I've seen more friendly than rude.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

346 posts, read 612,889 times
I am relocating to the RTP area maybe a bit outside of it...The draw is a better lifestyle for sure...Be aware that no place is a utopian world and there will be some drawbacks to moving to NC. However we have weighed the pros and cons between living in NJ and NC and that is the impetus of our decision to move to NC. While I dont have work...(yeah I've heard about all the negatives) I do have a substantial amount of money from our house sale to carry me over for quite a few years...so hopefully work will not take too long or be too elusive to procure.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

41 posts, read 229,115 times
I moved from Northshore LI in 1981 to attend college, I used to commute to the city for my university classes. Then one winter while standing on the platform of the LIRR, freezing my bu** off I decided I had enough.
The charm of North Carolina is its weather, it people, its opportunities, its lifestyle. It neat and clean, with lots of friendly people. I know very few people who did not like living here.
You will find lots of dating opportunity here, a nice place to live, and enough culture and entertainment to keep you busy for a life time.

Please take the opportunity to come and visit the area of RDU. Cary is mostly a bedroom community with lots of kid friendly neigborhoods, downtown Raleigh along Glenwood Ave, presents a lot of opportunity for a more single lifestyle with lots of bars restaurants, and cafes. Cameron Village is also a nice area for sucha lifestyle. Do come down and visit us, our doors are always open.
Good luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 71,186 times
Mishellina-
Thanks for your insight. I appreciate your take on the overall cultural differences. I know plenty of people from VA, NC, NY, NJ etc and they're great folks. There is also such a big cultural difference between the regions.. what you describe is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I think it depends on the person. Most who look to move here are sick of the things you mentioned and want to get out. You will run into people with the accent still but doesn't mean they are rude. I give them a chance to make that first impression. I have to say any transplants I've met have been great! Many look for that same thing you are looking for. Be open and don't judge all NY/NJ people to be that way. <---- Not saying you are..lol just asking to have an open mind. Trust me I've known my share but I've seen more friendly than rude.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 AM

33 posts, read 120,138 times
Was just down to Raleigh to visit my brother and his family,and I must say that I love the area.Walked around downtown Raleigh-parked in front of capital building.Went to the NC Museum across the street.Was AMAZED how clean the city is,people very friendly.Saw Junior Johnsons 63 Chevy stock car in the lobby.
Visited Yates MILL Pond,Lake Wheeler,towns of APEX, Fuquay Varina,Holly Springs,Cary.Liked what I saw.Hope to live in this area in the near future.
Long Island was the place to live at one time-the politictions ruined it!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:23 AM

26 posts, read 56,422 times
I love Wake Forest. It's got the small town history and then the amenities of a large city just down the road. The big box stores are there too and easily accessible. There is a wide variety of homes for sale - new to older to historic. The people who live there are from all over and then there are some whose family has been there forever. There is a local newspaper and restaurants - just enough for exploring and enjoying. I used to live on the North Shore of LI - this area has a lot of wonderful things to enjoy and they are just a short drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary