Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 38,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was wondering if youcould help with something. We just moved here and thought we would justcome andfind our ideal house right away in Cary, but ithasnt worked out that way. Here is what we were looking for and consideting...

A new to newer house up to 10 years old that is updated.
A family friendly neighborhood
1/4-1/2 acre with a nice backyard
houses no stacked up close together
Approx 15-20 min from RTP
close to shopping, Dr's and hospital, etc

We are looking at Highcroft, Cary Park, Abbington, Hilliard Forest new, wood creek in Holly Springs. we were set on Cary because it seemed to offer a lot, then we visited Abbington and everyone seems so nice with lots of kids. But it feels a little
far removed with not as much as Cary like we are used to.

Hilliard just changed hands and they dont know when they will build the pool. How do I know if they will and will they finish the develoment, more risky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Nothing wrong with Abbington at all IMO.
Stable neighborhood, low # of resales, family friendly with huge swim team, positioned really well to benefit from the expansion of 540, only a couple of miles south of the other neighborhoods you mention, nearly adjacent to Beaver Creek shopping, great medical care in your backyard,
should I go on?
Highcroft-small lots and could be hurt by 540 proximity. Houses not holding their values the way they were.
Hilliard Forest-uncertain future, risky IMO-Ryan is just OK and I don't spend DJF/Loyd money to live next to a Ryan home. Look for John Brown to drag his feet on the pool as long as he POSSIBLY can just like he did in The Park at West Lake.
Woodcreek-doesn't fit your commute goals, although in a couple of years 540 will be right up Sunset Lake Road. Wieland builds a quality home with great after-sale service. Killer rec facility already under construction.
Cary Park-nice neighborhood but IMO its size and the diversity of property styles and prices doesn't help it any (spoken as an ex-Cary Park homeowner).
The pool is a mobscene.
How about Weldon Ridge Estates?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks so much, that was very helpful. I will check out Weldon. I didn't know about them. Are there any more newer or udated homes near Preston area there about? I like the centralized location but the are older homes without the updates. They are nice, just a little dated. I also looked at that area because of the 10 score ratings for schools. I've heard about the redistricting but this is just in case it changes to neighborhood schools at some point. How are the schools near Abbington? Recommend anything else? Thanks again!!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 248,991 times
I understand your situation, we've been looking to move to Cary for the past couple of years and we decided to build in Hilliard Forest.

Moderator cut: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts, per T.O.S.

We have kids so having lots of kids in a neighborhood is very important to us as well as a pool. I can tell you that Hilliard Forest is loaded with children. Kids are always outside playing when we go check on the house and the neighbors are very friendly. Everyone wants the pool to be built and this will happen when there are more sales. The schools that Hilliard Forest is zoned for currently are very strong (Highcroft elementary) and with the baseball field/and park right across the street, the subdivision is very attractive.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-06-2009 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts, per T.O.S.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 AM

99 posts, read 377,849 times
Default Hilliard Forest

HF: Depending on where your lot is, you could be anywhere from 600-1200 ft from 540. That is quite close & you'll always have white noise.

From what I've heard, they are not planning to build any walls around to dampen the noise. I was considering HF but now sitting on fence due to 540, lack of Swimming pool & unknown quality of Ryan Homes & their price point going forward.

What made you lean towards HF?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-07-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: No discussion of Moderator activity, per T.O.S.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,144 times
Check out Estates at Greystone by MI. We are building there, big lots, good distance to RTP and MI is a good builder ( our last house was with them as well).

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 AM

62 posts, read 151,705 times
We just moved into Woodcreek and LOVE it...We are so excited that the waterpark will be ready for summer. Lots of kids too.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM

99 posts, read 377,849 times
Where's Woodcreek, anyway? Who's the builder?

Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Woodcreek is in Holly Springs off Sunset Lake Rd near Holly Springs Rd. Builder is John Wieland.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Where exactly will the 540 be by Hillard? I've heard different things? Thanks everone for all of your input, we really appreciate it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary