Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yes!
Unemployment is high!
There's no natural beauty! (A few parks, but who doesn't have parks?)
There's no "WOW" factor!
There's no lakefront, no riverfront! (Unless you count small suburban lakes or the nuclear plant!)
There's suburbia as far as the eye can see!
It's uncomfortably HOT and HUMID for MONTHS!
Rush hour TRAFFIC is FRUSTRATING!

But because it's less crowded and less expensive and prettier than parts of California, NYC, and NJ, it's considered a WONDERLAND!

There are gorgeous places to live all over the United States. But the Triangle has been annointed by magazines as The Place To Be.

I like it well enough.
Great post! Yeah, I find the Triangle to be over-rated in the same way that sex is over-rated (over-rated but still great!).

I strongly disagree with the poster that said there is little to do with kids, I gotta believe they just haven't found stuff yet. And even if there is more to do in the North, who can afford to do it?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM

355 posts, read 958,557 times
The Triangle is the Honda Accord of areas. There's no one standout trait, it's not terrificially exciting, but it's above average in enough categories and affordable so that it adds up to a decent place to be.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,845 times
I love the Triangle, but I see posts on here all the time that essentially say "I hear I can get a job just for moving to the Triangle, and the streets are lined with 3500 square foot houses on acre lots for $150,000."

So yes, in the sense that a lot of people seem to have the wrong impression, it is overrated.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 AM

100 posts, read 295,730 times
I have lived in Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill and have watched the changes over many years.

I have always loved the Springs in NC and look forward to them every year. Spring is definitely not overrated.

Health care is not overrated. Some of the finest in the nation.

Colleges are not overrated. UNC may be the best public college in the nation. Please no flaming from State fans.

College sports are not overrated. Where else, except a home Duke football game can you walk in at gametime and get a seat?

The outdoor life (Fall thru Spring where you can play golf almost every week) is not overrated, however the hot humid Summers are a PIA.

Schools are overrated with middle of the national rankings trailer park public schools where you never know from one year to the next which school or calendar your kids will be on are overrated. Hopefully yours are in a Magnet.

Local government is overrated and is truly disorganized when it comes to growth management and public transportation. I really don't see why there isn't public transportation to the airport, RTP, etc.

RTP has been up and coming for 20+ years, but strangely I find it is the same city today as 20 years ago, just more roads, strip malls, more houses including tract developments.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 AM

305 posts, read 768,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
The Triangle is the Honda Accord of areas. There's no one standout trait, it's not terrificially exciting, but it's above average in enough categories and affordable so that it adds up to a decent place to be.
I gotta give a to that analogy. It's not a tourist destination, but for a solid not-too-fancy place to call home it's very good.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,598,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Completely.And I'm seeing more and more people in my circle that moved here from the northeast,after being here a few years and the honeymoon is over saying the same thing.Their thoughts being mostly,1)Thinking the winters were warm.2)You have to look hard for things to do,especially with kids.3)The very conservative southern culture/thinking,it's not for everyone.
I wonder if any of those unhappy transplants were some of the MANY MANY folks posting on here in 2006 at the peak of the "NC fascination" who turned up their nose and got extremely defensive when and if anyone tried to tell them that things were not perfect or everything they were expecting? Look in some archived threads (if they still exist) from waaaay back and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Is the triangle overrated? It depends on to by whom you are referring. Is it overrated by forbes and money magazines? Yes. Is (was) it overrated by the thousands upon thousands of people from more expensive areas of the US who thought that moving to have a larger fancier house with warmer (or, in some cases, cooler) weather would automatically make them happier people? Yes. But many people who live in the triangle, especially those who have been around for a while, simply enjoy their hometown and the quality of life they have there; be it in comparison to a place they relocated from or as the place they were born and bred. And in that sense, no the triangle is not overrated and just a nice place to live for many (but not all) people.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM

63 posts, read 153,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
does anyone on here think the triangle area is overrated? If so, why?

yes!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,773,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

Where else, except a home Duke football game can you walk in at gametime and get a seat?
How about a UNC basketball game this season ..... 7K empty seats last night and not all of them ran out for more wine and cheese

The Triangle does lack the WOW appeal. I think the thing that wowed me the most over 25 years ago was how green everything was. So many trees ... Not sure if new people still get that effect or not. Having lived through 'Fran' and several ice storms my tree appeal (at least in my yard) has faded over the years. I recently made a trip to Seattle and I was WOWED by the natural beauty as soon as I arrived. Mountains in all directions and lots of water and great food, coffee ....... From what I saw I would love to live there but in reality my house here would cost 2 to 3 times more there. I think for the most part it's human nature for the 'grass to always be greener'. If you were employed and being transferred to the triangle I don't think too many people would be disappointed. It is what it is and it is what you make it.
It you are unemployed and unhappy where you are you will probably be unemployed and thus unhappy here.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 AM

494 posts, read 1,389,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I wonder if any of those unhappy transplants were some of the MANY MANY folks posting on here in 2006 at the peak of the "NC fascination" who turned up their nose and got extremely defensive when and if anyone tried to tell them that things were not perfect or everything they were expecting? Look in some archived threads (if they still exist) from waaaay back and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Is the triangle overrated? It depends on to by whom you are referring. Is it overrated by forbes and money magazines? Yes. Is (was) it overrated by the thousands upon thousands of people from more expensive areas of the US who thought that moving to have a larger fancier house with warmer (or, in some cases, cooler) weather would automatically make them happier people? Yes. But many people who live in the triangle, especially those who have been around for a while, simply enjoy their hometown and the quality of life they have there; be it in comparison to a place they relocated from or as the place they were born and bred. And in that sense, no the triangle is not overrated and just a nice place to live for many (but not all) people.
Most likely,although many are still defensive if you dare give a negative opinion.But let them keep thinking this is a utopia,at least until I sell my house.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,550,195 times
Yup. Totally overrated. Stop moving here.

:-)

Love it compared to living in the Northeast: CT, NJ, NY (near city) and PA (philly area)...

I love great weather from March to Nov. I love spring. I love summer here - ah...love humidity actually. I love fall here too. In general, I like the changing of seasons. I like the friendliness of the people. I love the park system and always able to find things to do outside with the kids. I love the fact that beaches are 2-3 hrs away and mountains 3-5 hrs away. I love living and driving near Falls Lake - it is always beautiful when I drive by, no matter the time of day or season. I love having schooling options for my kids. I like having a decent airport nearby so my hubby can travel where he needs to on business and get in/out/home quickly. I like paying less taxes even if it means less services (few snowplows....etc). I like my kids growing up with manners (yes Maam, No Maam, please, thank you). I like being able to drive gentler/slower and not having people tailgate me or get agitated.
I love that my kids will have a *choice* of in-state colleges and find something that works for them - at a reasonable $$. I do wish that we did what Georgia did with the lottery to make it even more affordable, but there you go...
I like that I run into very few with "attitudes" - most folks are more apt to smile and say 'good day' than brush by you brusquely.
I could go on and on. But that is why we have been here now for 11yrs with no thoughts of moving elsewhere...maybe toward the beach or the mountains once the kids are through school...

what I don't like:
We had no air conditioning in our house in CT so are far cooler *here* in NC than we were in CT. But there is humidity in the summer. I LOVE it. But, we do have to power wash the house and make sure the crawl space is dry so we don't molder....
I am not totally comfortable with how 'churchy' everyone is, but that is a bit better now - not everything has to revolve around church people.....
I am not totally comfortable with having my groceries bagged all the time, but I grit my teeth and be polite about it. no, i do NOT need help to the car, thank you. what, do I look 80? <grin>
I miss seeing the horizon and the sun rise/sun set - Raleigh is in the PIEDMONT. which means FLAT. But there are some pretty vistas where you can catch a glimpse of the horizon on occasion. And we have trees which cuts down on the view...
This economic downturn has hit here - folks are scared about their jobs so are working like crazy, worried about benefits, etc. But at least most I know actually have jobs...
I don't like the $500+ electric bill I just had to pay...(next time, remind me to CLOSE THE crawlspace door after the cable guy leaves....)

Is it for everyone? No - that is why you need to visit a few times before settling in the area. Each area has a vibe, and there seems to be a place for everyone once they find that niche. I cannot say I would come here without a job. I wouldn't go anywhere without a job in this climate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary