Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM

610 posts, read 3,016,296 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here think the Triangle area is overrated? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Yes!
Unemployment is high!
There's no natural beauty! (A few parks, but who doesn't have parks?)
There's no "WOW" factor!
There's no lakefront, no riverfront! (Unless you count small suburban lakes or the nuclear plant!)
There's suburbia as far as the eye can see!
It's uncomfortably HOT and HUMID for MONTHS!
Rush hour TRAFFIC is FRUSTRATING!

But because it's less crowded and less expensive and prettier than parts of California, NYC, and NJ, it's considered a WONDERLAND!

There are gorgeous places to live all over the United States. But the Triangle has been annointed by magazines as The Place To Be.

I like it well enough.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 PM

24 posts, read 46,911 times
Well i do have an opinion for what little it is worth.

I don't live in the triangle but have family that does. I live in the front range of Colorado and to compare the triangle and Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Etc.) for instance; there is no comparison. If you consider the triangle to be suburbia, then you need to visit some areas like ours. We have no land. We can see our neighbors just 10 feet away. There is no such thing as a 1/2 acre lot unless you have 750 to a mil to spend. This does not exist. Drive time---long. Wages compared to cost of living---7th worst in the nation a few months ago.

I do like Colorado, but I personally think IMHO that the triangle area has a lot more to offer. Yeah we have mountains, but you should plan on a minimum of a 2 hour drive maybe 3 if a Sunday for the drive to ski areas or any place nice. Awesome to go up to, but easy---nope.

The Carolina's offer a whole lot for the whole package.

Hot yes. But you do have an ocean 2-3 hours away also.

I'm always amazed at how friendly the people are and how nice the triangle is every time I visit. I'm always impressed and not just in a "vacation" way that is easy to get sucked into.

We have become tract home nation out here. Quality of life---I don't believe would be the equal of the triangle. Of course this is only my opinion since I have not lived there.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 AM

494 posts, read 1,389,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Does anyone on here think the Triangle area is overrated? If so, why?
Completely.And I'm seeing more and more people in my circle that moved here from the northeast,after being here a few years and the honeymoon is over saying the same thing.Their thoughts being mostly,1)Thinking the winters were warm.2)You have to look hard for things to do,especially with kids.3)The very conservative southern culture/thinking,it's not for everyone.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 AM

932 posts, read 3,098,557 times
Not overrated at all. I wouldn't live anywhere else, aside from the beach. (Unfortunately for me life's not a beach, but I do hope to retire there.) It's not nearly as conservative as it used to be. I think there are plenty of this to do, especially with kids. Mine are busy all of the time. We have some pretty great museums and parks, my town has a ton of things for kids to do, and so does the City or Raleigh parks and rec department. There are camps and learning experiences all over the place. I love the NC culture. I love going to local festivals, eating NC food, NC sports. I love being 2 hours from the ocean and just 4 to the mountains. If you can't find stuff to do, you need to get out more.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
Hard to say. It is what it is, but a lot of people do have misconceptions about what life is really like here based on a possible once-upon-a-time reality of cheap real estate and plentiful jobs.

I enjoy living here for the most part because given my current income level and goals in life, the Triangle seems to offer the most. My daughter is happy in her school, and my wife and I are happy with her school. I think the area offers some of the best value, quality and diversity anywhere in terms of restaurants.

If I were making any less money or had trouble finding work, the Triangle would definitely seem overrated to me. Save for a few select economic sectors here, there's not a lot of opportunity to make money locally. If I had a lot more money coming in, I'd probably find myself either traveling way more or relocating to another place that's more exciting. I've always said that if money were no issue, I'd spend my summers in Europe and the rest of the year in Miami Beach.

So, yes, for certain groups of people who either have too little money or too much money, I think the Triangle is a little overrated in terms of livability and excitement.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I think there are plenty of this to do, especially with kids. Mine are busy all of the time. We have some pretty great museums and parks, my town has a ton of things for kids to do, and so does the City or Raleigh parks and rec department. There are camps and learning experiences all over the place. I love the NC culture. I love going to local festivals, eating NC food, NC sports. I love being 2 hours from the ocean and just 4 to the mountains. If you can't find stuff to do, you need to get out more.
I agree. The only thing that has really impacted our family in a negative way is the job situation. I can't blame it all on the Triangle. . . . it's mainly the result of the economy and me taking a job at a company that is going down the toilet. . . . but being laid off twice in the last 18 months has just ruined my career. I'm making 30% less than I did before I moved here from Dallas, I have a job that is beneath my skill level because there aren't as many choices, my wife had to go back to work full time to get us health insurance and a stable income (we have 2 preschool children), and I'm constantly looking for a new job. . . .which is tiring and eats up a lot of my free time that I could be spending with my family. I'll be glad when this recession is over.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 AM

23 posts, read 56,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
But because it's less crowded and less expensive and prettier than parts of California, NYC, and NJ, it's considered a WONDERLAND!

Haha, that's probably why I like it. Being from NYC it is full of natural beauty to me. I am aware that much of the trees have been cut down, but it is still way more than I am used to. I find there are many things to do with kids and I quite like the more conservative attitudes. Perhaps it is overrated, but I love it here.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
2)You have to look hard for things to do,especially with kids.
You’re kidding right? I think the Triangle is probably one of the most kid-centric places I have ever run across.

To the OP:
I think most of the people who feel the Triangle is overrated are the same people who spend too much time harvesting "best of" and "top ten" list from yahoo, forbes, cnn, and business week. If you build up unrealistic expectations you are bound to be disappointed. Do your own research and come here with an open mind and realistic expectations.

Basing your move off of content seeking magazine top ten lists is like relying on TV shows like "Inside Edition" and "Entertainment Tonight" to give you an accurate in-depth view of the day’s current events and news.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,481 times
I wouldn't say that it's overrated--just depends on what you're looking for. It's very behind the times on a lot of things, so the small town feel is apparent in many areas of the triangle. I wouldn't say that I LOVE it here, but I don't hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary