Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,330,334 times

Advertisements

I don't believe for a moment that any one region is nirvana for everyone.
That certainly includes the Triangle.

But, it is difficult to imagine posting routinely on any local forum how bad all aspects of a region are.
An action plan to reach a personal goal that would be more rewarding might be more productive and less depressing.

IMO, Andy sums things up pretty well here:

YouTube - The Shawshank Redemption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,351,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

But, it is difficult to imagine posting routinely on any local forum how bad all aspects of a region are.
An action plan to reach a personal goal that would be more rewarding might be more productive and less depressing.

IMO, Andy sums things up pretty well here:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YKEwt3wO0"]YouTube - The Shawshank Redemption[/URL]

MikeJ.....Spot on! ...and the former is a whole lot 'lighter' than the latter!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,330,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
MikeJ.....Spot on! ...and the former is a whole lot 'lighter' than the latter!
You are bringing the Dan Brand of Sunshine back to the Triangle, Right?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,036 times
@westcoastbabe: I have to agree with this assesment. I was born in California and lived 20 years there. I'm in Atlanta now, but am looking at options to relocated (with my current employer) either back to California (NorCal) or NC (Raleigh Durham). NC definitely has the cost of living advantage, but it has to be said that from the presepective of a west coast native the south certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong -- there are aspects of living in Atlanta that I really do enjoy, but you just can't match the 'vibe' as you say that California offers, especially if you work in the Hi-Tech world. NorCal has an indescribable 'buzz' about it that just says 'this is the place to be' for hi-tech. There are other areas around the country that have little min-silicon valleys, if you will, but it just doesn't compare to the real thing. I'm at a point in my life when I've been given two choices that will determine my future for many years to come. One is to go back to the place I know, the place I would call 'home' if you will knowing full well that it is ridiculously expensive and I'll have to give up and sacrifice a lot of the material comforts I've come to enjoy. The other is to move to NC and live a pretty decent life on my salary, but give up the familiarity and the 'buzz' of California. It's a tough choice I have to make and both will have benefits and compromise.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM

476 posts, read 1,679,053 times
It is heartbreaking to see anyone so angry about everything.

Mike J is right... rather than complaining or blaming get a game plan and effectively work toward something that YOU want.

Trust me, life has not been all sunshine since we moved here. We have seen more professional and personal setbacks while living here in NC over the last 2 years than at any time in our lives, but that does not stop us from working toward personal and family goals of bettering things. I certainly do not blame what has happened with the economy and to us personally while living here on North Carolina in any way shape or form. MANY people are suffering everywhere, if it is any consolation we are all in this together in one way or another.

In the meantime I try to laugh - A LOT! When given the choice smile, when given the choice laugh, open yourself to the POSSIBILITY of happiness. Attitude and an open mind will take you a LONG, LONG way.

It is not the answer to everything, but my attitude is one of the few things I have control over.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM

476 posts, read 1,679,053 times
I totally agree about the drivers - COMPLETELY WHACKED! I attribute that to so many transplants, though Morrisville gets my vote for consistently horrific drivers...

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 AM

645 posts, read 1,505,733 times
I will be the first to be jaded about many places. But seriously, this area the triangle is a nice place to raise kids, a nice place to retire and a pretty good place to be a single person . Nice weather in general, moderate crime kinda like any mid sized area in the country. Great I mean a GREAT LIBRARY system. good food, fresh veggies etc. We went to ten ten park this morning for a run, really nice!! The othjer county parks are just as nice. Lakes. Jordan and Falls nice, areas west the mtns and east the beaches all in a days drive. People?? Sure there are jerks but you will meet them anyplace in the world. Just don't engage them.

Enjoy

Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM

406 posts, read 788,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
It is heartbreaking to see anyone so angry about everything.
Since this is a relocation and moving forum, I think pointing out what one does not like and why this area may be "overrated" is actually helpfull to people doing reseach and their "due dilligence" before moving to the area.
I wish there had been more when I was researching. (I''ll admit I wanted to like the area so my research probably was flawed.)

...this pollen stinks

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,863,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post

I wish there had been more when I was researching. (I''ll admit I wanted to like the area so my research probably was flawed.)
But that's the big problem--people can hear 100 things that don't match their wants/needs, then ONE thing that does, and say "OK, they agree with us". Once someone has decided, hell or high water, that they are going somewhere, all of the practical advice on Earth to the contrary isn't going to sway them, and anyone who's viewpoint differs from theirs will be dismissed as a "naysayer". Which, unfortunately, you learned firsthand.

I'm not sure why some people even ask for advice, as they're going to do what they've decided to do, regardless of the outcome of advice. What can you do...?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,321,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Without a doubt the best post in this thread. Truer words were never spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary