Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I had considered that, but it does get a bit grinding after awhile. Maybe I should restrict my observations to the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area, but there just aren't that many foreigners here.

I suppose my main complaint is that people almost always just use that accent-observation as a launching off point to start a monologue about their trip to London/Slovakia/Sydney: rarely is it just a conversation opener of the sort you describe. That does get a bit tedious after awhile.

This might be due to the fact that the town is dominated by the university, which is massively homogeneous.

chwboy
Hm. I could understand your frustration in that regard if all they do is talk about themselves. Have you considered that maybe people who do this most are the ones who haven't had the good fortune of being able to travel abroad very much? It sounds like you've had many more opportunities than the average person to live in many different places. Perhaps when people find out where you've lived, that piques their interest in places they wish they could go. Maybe I'm just trying to look at it from a positive side, though. Everyone's different. My fiance traveled abroad last year and visited many far flung towns and villages literally on the other side of the planet. We happened to meet a few people recently from one of those towns, and they were shocked to hear he knew of their hometown, much less that he had actually been there. They seemed to enjoy talking to him about different places he had been. But this case was definitely a give and take rather than monologue.

I read your original post, and while I certainly agree wholeheartedly with you about transit in this region, I still think it is unreasonable to compare the Triangle to cities like NYC and DC.

It is not uncommon for an area such as the Triangle to not have decent transit in the US. In fact, several major US cities have miserable jokes for transit, if they have any at all (my hometown of Miami, FL comes to mind). The good thing is that there are Triangle residents who recognize the benefit that transit would bring to the region, and many people are talking about it and trying to create and support possible solutions. It is just a matter of convincing the old school local and state leaders to join the 21st century in that regard. I think it will happen eventually...hopefully sooner than later.

As for the "interesting" people comment, it really doesn't mean much unless you explain what you consider "interesting" people. Instead it just sounds like you don't get out much. I've met plenty of interesting people (including foreigners), as well as people who do not interest me, but that doesn't mean they aren't interesting to someone. It seems to me that the area actually has more interesting people for its size than I would ordinarily expect. I know that Raleigh has a growing community of artists and musicians, as does Durham (I admittedly am not that familiar with Chapel Hill), not to mention that a decent segment of the population is highly educated and we have three major universities, bringing us scientists, researchers and others who are at the top of their fields.

To me, the area is not overrated considering what I was hoping to get out of it. I lived in an area my whole life that I consider overrated because I didn't get out of it as much as I put in, but many people think it's paradise. So, it all depends on what an individual is expecting. If someone thinks the "Best of..." lists are the gospel, well, I don't really know what to say to that. I don't let lists, media, or other people tell me what I should or should not like, I determine that on my own.

If someone comes here expecting a cheaper version of where they live, or a combination of the absolute best things of other cities with a lower price tag and "warm" winters, they've been reading too many magazines.

To me, something that is overrated is something that is given value when it really has no value, for example, Paris Hilton. Otherwise, we are just talking about individuals' opinions. But that's just how I look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Does anyone on here think the Triangle area is overrated? If so, why?
No, underrated

Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM

98 posts, read 131,679 times
I think the issue for CHwboy is where he chose to live. He is at the outer edge of the Triangle, so everything is a fair distance away. There is also not much in the way of diversity there and to be honest, not much to do. I just think he picked the wrong location to live.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM

487 posts, read 890,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
I think the issue for CHwboy is where he chose to live. He is at the outer edge of the Triangle, so everything is a fair distance away. There is also not much in the way of diversity there and to be honest, not much to do. I just think he picked the wrong location to live.
You might be right about that -- but hard to do anything else when a grad student at UNC!

And the traffic is horrendous.

chwboy

Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM

98 posts, read 131,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
You might be right about that -- but hard to do anything else when a grad student at UNC!

And the traffic is horrendous.

chwboy
I don't know how people can stand the traffic way out that way, but you have to do what you have to do. Hang in there until you get done with everything, then maybe give better located Triangle areas a shot.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM

406 posts, read 787,738 times
"overrated" is an "understatment" Just look at the sticky "Triangle Happenings, February 2010" 8 replies, a couple of reapeats and most not more exiting than watching paint dry (in my very subjective opinion)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
No, underrated
I must say I'd be interested in hearing some elaboration on this one. Never heard that one before except for by....you know who. (Not suggesting you are him; though I do believe you hale from the same state)

Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
LOL im not charletondude!
i think the triangle area, except for the top 10 list crowd, is almost unknown. people think of golf, "the south" (i.e. hicks and bible thumpers), and maybe the airport/rtp. when i told people i was moving down here from MA, i got either "oh thats a nice area, my ____ lives there" or "WHY?! you mean you're moving to the SOUTH?" which says to me at least half the people outside the triangle think it's crappy. and i don't think it is. it has its own unique issues, but they're a lot better and fewer than the unique issues that Worcester, MA has. i love it here, and it's because of the new and developing downtown stuff, the nice weather, the scenery, and perhaps because it's still an adventure 9 months after moving here.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
That's another whole question: "Is North Carolina stereotyped by those who don't live here?"

And the answer is a big yes on that one. (We're all Jerry Springer guests.)

Quote:
i think the triangle area, except for the top 10 list crowd, is almost unknown. people think of golf, "the south" (i.e. hicks and bible thumpers), and maybe the airport/rtp. when i told people i was moving down here from MA, i got either "oh thats a nice area, my ____ lives there" or "WHY?! you mean you're moving to the SOUTH?" which says to me at least half the people outside the triangle think it's crappy. and i don't think it is. it has its own unique issues, but they're a lot better and fewer than the unique issues that Worcester, MA has. i love it here, and it's because of the new and developing downtown stuff, the nice weather, the scenery, and perhaps because it's still an adventure 9 months after moving here.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
I need to go to work right now.

I think working on the weekend is overrated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary