Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think Food Lion would be improved to be on par with Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop and Shop.
I shudder to imagine ANY of that as an improvement. Having had to shop, very much against my better judgement, at Giant, Hannaford's and Stop and Shop over the years -- they are all horrible stores and I recoil at the notion of ever needing to go to one again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
This made me laugh out loud!!!
Actually, the Food Lion in Brier Creek also has GREAT rotisserie chickens. Plump, juicy and not overcooked like Lowe's. Second best rotisserie chicken, first place goes to Costco.
Thanks for the heads up. It's not always convenient to run all the way over to Costco. This may save me from ordering in pizza,!

Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM

70 posts, read 168,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, I figured I would resurrect this long dead thread because they are renovating almost all of the Food Lions in the area, including the Bloom turned Food Lion at Davis and Morrisville Carpenter. Because it was going to be a Bloom, they evidently made it a bit nicer than the usual Food Lion. The produce area was lit less harshly with a nice wood trellis supporting lighting. They had the wood plank look floor in most of the produce, meat, wine areas when you come in and the rest of the tile was somewhat premium and not too cheap looking. There were variations in the soffits above the various counters. Even the checkout lanes and cold cases were painted in attractive colors. Overall the store had a nicer look about it than most Food Lions at the time.

Well, as part of that renovation, it seems like that's all out the window. They have been taking up the vinyl plank flooring and seem to be replacing it with the most boring, least expensive vinyl tile I have seen. The checkouts are the worst institutional blue color. Horrible compared to the old ones. I went to an almost completed store and the beige beige and more beige was everywhere. They painted all the refrigerated cases beige. They painted the walls beige. The floor is beige. Al out the Same shade. The designers must have literally spent 5 minutes pulling is stuff. I'm waiting to see if they rip out the few things that are left in the produce area as the other store did not have it.

It looks like it will be a depressing shopping experience.
They did the exact same thing to the Food Lion store on the corner of Strickland Road and Ray Road. Before the renovations earlier this year, it was a really nice store. This store was originally intended to be a Bloom store, but was built as a Food Lion about 4 years ago. The changes have been a downgrade. The store continues to be clean, but it's just bland. I think they could have just left it the way it was - everything still looked pristine!

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks for the heads up. It's not always convenient to run all the way over to Costco. This may save me from ordering in pizza,!
Food lions chickens are so so IMO. Fresh Market has my favorite rotisserie selections. Whole Chickens are $8.99 which is only 1 or 2 dollars more then the other stores. Good quality,antibiotic free and they have delicious flavors. White wine and herb,butter garlic,rosemary and thyme. Fresh on my mind from seeing them earlier,if only I hadn't just cooked one yesterday. Next week,it's on

Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
When I first moved to West Cary, they were planning to build a Bloom at O'Kelly Chapel Rd and Green Level Church Rd. There use to be a Bloom picket sign out there too, but I'm sure it is overgrown. Any idea what they are going to do there? On the adjacent property, they built a daycare.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_ncsu View Post
They did the exact same thing to the Food Lion store on the corner of Strickland Road and Ray Road. Before the renovations earlier this year, it was a really nice store. This store was originally intended to be a Bloom store, but was built as a Food Lion about 4 years ago. The changes have been a downgrade. The store continues to be clean, but it's just bland. I think they could have just left it the way it was - everything still looked pristine!
Interestingly, on the way home I stoped at the Davis Food Lion on the way home and saw a crowd of people with food lion name tags on breaking up from a meeting, so I asked them. They claimed that there would be some upgraded features not in some of the other stores, but what you're saying seems more realistic and matches the mostly complete store I saw the other day on Capital Blvd. They did say part of this was trying to get a wider variety of products into the store. Funny as I have seen close out tags on a few things we buy there lately.

I guess we will see.

They are doing a bunch of work in the store from Sunday at 9:00PM to Wednesday AM as they'll be closed.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I shudder to imagine ANY of that as an improvement. Having had to shop, very much against my better judgement, at Giant, Hannaford's and Stop and Shop over the years -- they are all horrible stores and I recoil at the notion of ever needing to go to one again.
I have been to a Hannaford once. The store I visited was a nice store. If Food Lion took on some of Hannaford's best standards and practices, it may have had some direction to improve its stores years ago.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 AM

Food lion has its place in the market. For every 1 person who shops at a premium grocer, there are 50 that go to FL or Wal-Mart. In some small towns,it's the only choice. I don't care for the remodel either. It's like they took a completely industrial design devoid of any natural beauty. Very sterile and cold feel about it. The previous poster was right,too much blue/beige.

Once again straying off topic....What do you guys think of the new Lowe's set up. I guess it's an improvement but to me they went the complete opposite of FL. From the simulated barn entrance way,too the birds chirping in the produce section. It's all just very kitschy. Chicken hats and faux pastierre uniforms are really a bit much. I'm surprised they didn't put the employee working the beer den into a lederhosen.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Once again straying off topic....What do you guys think of the new Lowe's set up. I guess it's an improvement but to me they went the complete opposite of FL. From the simulated barn entrance way,too the birds chirping in the produce section. It's all just very kitschy. Chicken hats and faux pastierre uniforms are really a bit much. I'm surprised they didn't put the employee working the beer den into a lederhosen.

Reminds me of Farmer Brown's (I believe that's right.) which is now presently Food Lion on Lead Mine @ Sawmill. Last time I stopped into Lowe's foods the prices were astronomical and some of the stuff we bought had to be returned because it was out of date. No more Lowes for me.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Reminds me of Farmer Brown's (I believe that's right.) which is now presently Food Lion on Lead Mine @ Sawmill. Last time I stopped into Lowe's foods the prices were astronomical and some of the stuff we bought had to be returned because it was out of date. No more Lowes for me.
I agree Lowe's is very high. I have a few select items I specifically go for(their bags of wild caught NC shrimp are phenomenal) and its conveniently located next to my planet fitness for grabbing something otw home. I've also had to take a few things back. I'm a red sticker markdowns queen and never have problems with any items not still being good. Except there. I suspect the area where they compile them isn't refrigerated correctly for how they are thrown in there. They also may wait later to mark down in the first place.

I almost forgot about the kids interactive gears game in the Sausage Works station. Oh and the community table which according to the brochure was the start and epicenter of the store design. Umm yeh sure right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary