Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times

Advertisements

I've been in two different Food Lions this week in less than great neighborhoods (so I believe they were not intended to be higher level stores) Both were smallish without a lot of variety and the produce in particular was not inspiring. They were both clean. I'm still finding my way to what is most convenient to home and work.

you might not believe this but the produce at Walmart in Morrisville is consistently much better! Unfortunately I don't live near a Walmart! the closest grocery to my house is Whole Foods and although it is like a fun party in there I can't afford to shop there.

Once I get settled and stop working insane hours I'll have more time to get to the farmers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM

11 posts, read 24,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
If you're trying to save money on groceries, Food Lion is a good place for staples. I used to shop at the likes of Harris Teeter when I worked in the corporate world. Nowadays we're on a very tight budget and Food Lion is my friend. It IS a challenge - I wish the stores were cleaner, the workers cared more about customers and the stock, and that I didn't have to check the expiration date on every single item I pick up. But between sales, coupons and the shopper's card, I get some great deals and try to look at each visit as an adventure.

I don't see FL going away - except maaaybe in mid-upper economic areas where everybody makes enough money not to have to shop there.
I used to live closest to a Food Lion, then a Lowe's, then a Harris Teeter - and now that is reversed. While the produce at HT is far superior to Lowe's and especially Food Lion, I miss being able to get run of the mill packaged goods at Food Lion. Canned goods, boxed goods (cereal/pasta), sodas - those things are not going to be affected by the fact that Food Lions are typically rather run down.

My biggest gripe with Food Lion is they definitely hire the bottom of the barrel for employees. I've waited in line for 15 minutes before while random employees are obviously loafing, the customer sat desk is empty, etc etc. They are the best place for cheap goods, tho.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Food Lion used to be a low priced store.

Once they were bought out, they lost focus.

Circling the drain, Food Lion is now advertising a return to lower prices. They will not be missed if they go under.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
So, I figured I would resurrect this long dead thread because they are renovating almost all of the Food Lions in the area, including the Bloom turned Food Lion at Davis and Morrisville Carpenter. Because it was going to be a Bloom, they evidently made it a bit nicer than the usual Food Lion. The produce area was lit less harshly with a nice wood trellis supporting lighting. They had the wood plank look floor in most of the produce, meat, wine areas when you come in and the rest of the tile was somewhat premium and not too cheap looking. There were variations in the soffits above the various counters. Even the checkout lanes and cold cases were painted in attractive colors. Overall the store had a nicer look about it than most Food Lions at the time.

Well, as part of that renovation, it seems like that's all out the window. They have been taking up the vinyl plank flooring and seem to be replacing it with the most boring, least expensive vinyl tile I have seen. The checkouts are the worst institutional blue color. Horrible compared to the old ones. I went to an almost completed store and the beige beige and more beige was everywhere. They painted all the refrigerated cases beige. They painted the walls beige. The floor is beige. Al out the Same shade. The designers must have literally spent 5 minutes pulling is stuff. I'm waiting to see if they rip out the few things that are left in the produce area as the other store did not have it.

It looks like it will be a depressing shopping experience.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
I rarely go to Food Lion, just because the few times I've been in there they just have a depressing feel about them. I did notice every time I drive by one they have a "Still Open" sign in front so I'm assuming that they're refreshing all of their locations.

I needed to get a bottle of wine and Food Lion was closest so I went in. The one thing I did notice was that the produce section is in its own "room", I actually thought that was pretty cool. Each entrance has the air doors to keep the flies out, so from that standpoint I like the design. The rest of the store seemed dark, however, but it may have been because they were still renovating and all the lighting is not in place.

On the plus side, the wine I typically buy was $10 cheaper per bottle than Harris Teeter so that makes me think if they renovate the one in my town I may consider checking it out...

Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
They are only doing the cool room produce in some stores it seems. Not sure the criteria, but much of it has to do with new federal standards on energy efficiency. That's why you see many stores going to the double door cases rather than all open for cold cuts, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
They are only doing the cool room produce in some stores it seems. Not sure the criteria, but much of it has to do with new federal standards on energy efficiency. That's why you see many stores going to the double door cases rather than all open for cold cuts, etc.
I have noticed this at select Bi-Lo and Ingle's stores for dairy products.

I know Food Lion stores in the Wilmington and Greenville areas have undergone these aesthetic improvements. They have not added anything like pharmacies. It will be interesting to see what happens with "Easy, Fresh, and Affordable" if Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize is approved.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I'll pipe in and say that the Food Lion we use in Brier Creek has terrific pork. Often at great prices. (No, it's not organic, grass fed, massaged by 47 virgins or any of that stuff.)

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
I'm a Food Lion fan. I'll overlook the outdated appearance as long as they keep their low prices.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
With the recent renovations Food Lion has definitely turned into a "hood" store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary