Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, I figured I would resurrect this long dead thread because they are renovating almost all of the Food Lions in the area, including the Bloom turned Food Lion at Davis and Morrisville Carpenter. Because it was going to be a Bloom, they evidently made it a bit nicer than the usual Food Lion. The produce area was lit less harshly with a nice wood trellis supporting lighting. They had the wood plank look floor in most of the produce, meat, wine areas when you come in and the rest of the tile was somewhat premium and not too cheap looking. There were variations in the soffits above the various counters. Even the checkout lanes and cold cases were painted in attractive colors. Overall the store had a nicer look about it than most Food Lions at the time.

Well, as part of that renovation, it seems like that's all out the window. They have been taking up the vinyl plank flooring and seem to be replacing it with the most boring, least expensive vinyl tile I have seen. The checkouts are the worst institutional blue color. Horrible compared to the old ones. I went to an almost completed store and the beige beige and more beige was everywhere. They painted all the refrigerated cases beige. They painted the walls beige. The floor is beige. Al out the Same shade. The designers must have literally spent 5 minutes pulling is stuff. I'm waiting to see if they rip out the few things that are left in the produce area as the other store did not have it.

It looks like it will be a depressing shopping experience.
Strange. Why are the spending money to make it look worse, rather than leaving it the way it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:40 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll pipe in and say that the Food Lion we use in Brier Creek has terrific pork. Often at great prices. (No, it's not organic, grass fed, massaged by 47 virgins or any of that stuff.)
This made me laugh out loud!!!
Actually, the Food Lion in Brier Creek also has GREAT rotisserie chickens. Plump, juicy and not overcooked like Lowe's. Second best rotisserie chicken, first place goes to Costco.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Strange. Why are the spending money to make it look worse, rather than leaving it the way it was?
I assume because the three or four stores that were slated to open as the premium brand Bloom, but when the pulled the plug on it, they went ahead and opened them as Food Lions but with a premium look about them. Because they are outliers and differnt than standard, they are being downgraded when for most Food Lions this renovation is an upgrade.

Even crazier, this is a 4 year old store they are tearing out everything and putting back piece by piece.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
I assume because the three or four stores that were slated to open as the premium brand Bloom, but when the pulled the plug on it, they went ahead and opened them as Food Lions but with a premium look about them. Because they are outliers and differnt than standard, they are being downgraded when for most Food Lions this renovation is an upgrade.

Even crazier, this is a 4 year old store they are tearing out everything and putting back piece by piece.
Contact a tv station. Then contact Delhaize in Belgium.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Quote:
I assume because the three or four stores that were slated to open as the premium brand Bloom, but when the pulled the plug on it, they went ahead and opened them as Food Lions but with a premium look about them. Because they are outliers and different than standard, they are being downgraded when for most Food Lions this renovation is an upgrade.

I recall a previous Food Lion slogan being "We do not think it is funny to waste time and money." Two defunct banners in Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food, a large quantity of stores closed or divested and market exits, short lived promotions, and a revolving door of leadership and decisions may have caused Food Lion to waste time and money. Food Lion's competitors are finding ways to provide easier, fresher, and more affordable shopping experiences.

If Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize is approved and completes itself, it will be interesting how Ahold handles Food Lion.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize is approved and completes itself, it will be interesting how Ahold handles Food Lion.
Maybe they will tear out the new crappy stuff they are installing and put back what they had originally...LOL!

It is such a shame that they are wasting great materials like that.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Maybe they will tear out the new crappy stuff they are installing and put back what they had originally...LOL!

It is such a shame that they are wasting great materials like that.
I think Food Lion would be improved to be on par with Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop and Shop.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I think Food Lion would be improved to be on par with Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop and Shop.
Stop and Shop. Wow! A blast from the past. I haven't heard that name for ten years.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
I recall a previous Food Lion slogan being "We do not think it is funny to waste time and money."
Remember the grocery bags with LFPINC on them?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Remember the grocery bags with LFPINC on them?
Remember Ralph Ketner doing the TV ads himself, back in the days of "Food Town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary