Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Once again straying off topic....What do you guys think of the new Lowe's set up. I guess it's an improvement but to me they went the complete opposite of FL. From the simulated barn entrance way,too the birds chirping in the produce section. It's all just very kitschy. Chicken hats and faux pastierre uniforms are really a bit much. I'm surprised they didn't put the employee working the beer den into a lederhosen.
Lowe's Foods is being original, unique, and creative with its enhanced service departments. It is differentiating itself from the competition in that aspect. Can it carry over its distinction into being competitive against Harris Teeter and Publix, or does it need to advance itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM

528 posts, read 934,903 times
The Food Lion on Holly Springs Rd (at Ten Ten) was one of the locations originally set to be a Bloom store. It is nice bright and clean. Prior to this location I tended to avoid FL (dark, depressing, not a great selection) but this location is great, never crowded and tends to have most all the items I buy from Harris Teeter except seafood (which I have stopped buying at HT anyway b/c their seafood counter is horrid, looks weeks old).

They also recently remodeled but I don't think that location was ever as fancy as some of the other posters indicated. To me, the changes seem more to streamline the cases, etc, so other than now that I can't find anything, it seems fine. And still no crowds! :-)

Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
I don't shop Food Lion often, but I have been in some nice ones. The one out by Governor's Club in Chapel Hill is pretty nice. I also go to one at the beach down near Ocean Isle and Sunset that is pretty swank with a nice organic and natural foods section. It's maybe not quite on par with your newer nice Harris Teeter (there are some crappy old ones of those around too), but it's really, really close. Maybe a toss-up.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM

89 posts, read 104,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
The Food Lion on Holly Springs Rd (at Ten Ten) was one of the locations originally set to be a Bloom store. It is nice bright and clean. Prior to this location I tended to avoid FL (dark, depressing, not a great selection) but this location is great, never crowded and tends to have most all the items I buy from Harris Teeter except seafood (which I have stopped buying at HT anyway b/c their seafood counter is horrid, looks weeks old).

They also recently remodeled but I don't think that location was ever as fancy as some of the other posters indicated. To me, the changes seem more to streamline the cases, etc, so other than now that I can't find anything, it seems fine. And still no crowds! :-)
I agree about this store. I live about the same distance from this Food Lion and a Harris Teeter. More and more I've been going to the Food Lion because it's not crowded, is nice inside, and is definitely cheaper. I don't buy everything there, but for I do quite a bit of shopping there. The remodel didn't impress me, but I don't think it made it worse either. They do have new checkout counters that I like because they can be either regular or express lanes depending on which sign is lit up. The people that work there are friendly and I never have to wait to checkout.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,780 times
Food lion won me over with their ice cream prices. Couple of dollars per item cheaper that HT and still cheaper than Walmart. If HT didn't sell Boars Head meats I'd probably never set foot in one. Nice store and all but I don't need ambiance.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Food lions chickens are so so IMO. Fresh Market has my favorite rotisserie selections. Whole Chickens are $8.99 which is only 1 or 2 dollars more then the other stores. Good quality,antibiotic free and they have delicious flavors. White wine and herb,butter garlic,rosemary and thyme. Fresh on my mind from seeing them earlier,if only I hadn't just cooked one yesterday. Next week,it's on
Hmm. Fresh market $8.99. Costco $4.99. Guess where I'm going.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn
Food lions chickens are so so IMO. Fresh Market has my favorite rotisserie selections. Whole Chickens are $8.99 which is only 1 or 2 dollars more then the other stores. Good quality,antibiotic free and they have delicious flavors. White wine and herb,butter garlic,rosemary and thyme. Fresh on my mind from seeing them earlier,if only I hadn't just cooked one yesterday. Next week,it's on
Don't fall for marketing hype. All chickens are required by law to be steroid and antibiotic free and has been this way since the 1940s.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:45 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Don't fall for marketing hype. All chickens are required by law to be steroid and antibiotic free and has been this way since the 1940s.
It's more about the taste. Costco is cheaper but "gasp" no membership unfortunately. But compared to FL and Kroger they aren't much more. Have you tried them?

Oh and the rotisserie pork loin is divine.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so enlighten me. what's supposed to be so bad about FL meat?I've never had any bad experience.
Neither have I. I think most people here have to be exaggerating quite a damn bit. When I moved to NC in 2012 the town I lived in only grocery store was Food Lion, no problems ever. Moved to Southern Pines and shopped at 2 FL's there, 0 problems. Moved to Fayetteville, shopped at 2-4 FL's 0 problems. Durham, Carrboro same thing. Meat I've gotten from them has always been fine. Produce too. Yeah, they aren't the fanciest looking things but I mean it's a basic freakin' grocery store. It's fine.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Neither have I. I think most people here have to be exaggerating quite a damn bit. When I moved to NC in 2012 the town I lived in only grocery store was Food Lion, no problems ever. Moved to Southern Pines and shopped at 2 FL's there, 0 problems. Moved to Fayetteville, shopped at 2-4 FL's 0 problems. Durham, Carrboro same thing. Meat I've gotten from them has always been fine. Produce too. Yeah, they aren't the fanciest looking things but I mean it's a basic freakin' grocery store. It's fine.
I agree - except I do think the beef at FL is not as good as what I find at similar prices in other stores, particularly Kroger. And the pork at FL is superiir to anyplace else AND cheaper (have I said that before? If so, sorry, but I'm a fan.)

Also, I've never purchased fish at FL. I get it regularly at Kroger, occasionally at HT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary