Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,947 times

Advertisements

I doubt that HOAs can limit what kind of dogs come to "visit". The larger problem would seem to be other (people's) dogs. The dgs are rarely the problem if not for their irresponsible owners.

Certainly a large un-neutered male cruising the hood could make other pet owners nervous for several obvious reasons!

I understand your hesistation to call, but if the owner is aware of the problem and isn't willing to do anything about it a call to Animal Control is the right thing. The dog could get hit by a car, possibly hurt someone or another pet, impregnate another dog, damage property, etc. There are reasons for the rules when folks live in such close proximity. Some people think because their pets are sweet at home the rules dont' apply to them.

I imagine if the dog got picked up by animal control once or twice the owners may stop letting him have the run of the neighborhood. It might be traumatic for the dog, but not as much as it might be for your poodle or pom if they happened to be in the backyard when he wandered by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times
Yes, everything you say is true!

The owners in question do have a very laissez-faire attitude and may need a wake-up call.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
Default need help with malamute

My sister owns a wolf hybrid, or at least we think she does. The huge question/debate we are having is whether or not the offspring of a hybrid would be considered a hybrid? The definition of a wolf hybrid, is 50% wolf, 50% dog, she is obviously not that. But will a vet or animal control consider her a hybrid? Can any one help us figure this out so that can refrain from getting into to much of any trouble.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
It's illegal to own a wolf hybrid in Wake County. Percentage of wolf doesn't make a difference in the eyes of the law. So your choices are to either find a county that doesn't restrict ownership of wolf hybrids or stick to calling it a malamute full stop.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Recently, I was told by a builder that they are adding to their covenants...these are the breeds they are restricting: Pit Bull, Boxer, Doberman, Rotweiller, German Shephard. I was surprised by the German Shephard, as I have owned one in the past and I don't feel that they are dangerous.

Vicki

I find it interesting that builders would even bother. I can see trying to enforce animal control by breed, weight, etc in a rental property, but when it comes to condos and single-family homes, it seems right up there with saying all cars must be Volkswagens and they all have to be black.

How can an HOA even prove what a dog is? If I had a German Shepard and there was some ridiculous covenant or rule restricting that breed, I'd magically have a mutt.

Its not the breed that is the problem, its how the breed is typically raised and trained, and people's stereotypical opinions of them. A pet with a good owner is a good pet; it's not until you get bad owners that you get misbehaving and disobedient pets.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
The best thing to do, is know the covenants and try to abide by them and try your very HARDEST to fly under the radar by not allowing your dogs to become a nuisance. Fence--don't tie them up. Keep them quiet with no incessant barking, etc. If you don't cause an issue, nobody is likely to say much. Don't be an issue.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 19,601 times
Each builder, HOA has their visions of a neighborhood. Covenants are based on those visions. So, some may have strict restrictions on pets and their breeds, while others may not. Typically higher end neighborhood has detailed covenants. An agent should be able to find that information through the management company, HOA and/or the county (recorded docs).

Not every neighborhood is for everyone and not everyone is for every neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have seen covenants that say "no pit bulls".
I realize this thread is resurrected from 2010, but wanted to point out that "pit bull" is not a breed. The animal most often identified as a pit is the American Staffordshire Terrier. Interestingly, most people when asked to identify a pit bull in a series of photos choose the wrong dog.

I did a quick search of the NC Statutes and don't see anything about Breed Specific Legislation or restrictions. They do define a "dangerous dog".
GS_67-4.1

Sadly, even in states that passed laws forbidding BSLs, some cities such as Denver were able to work around it and ended up seizing and destroying a large number of pets.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I realize this thread is resurrected from 2010, but wanted to point out that "pit bull" is not a breed.
Not according to the AKC (which probably counts for more in the US), but he UKC does recognize the American Pitt Bull as a specific breed. Regardless, a well-bread and well-raised Pitt Bull (or related breed) can be a wonderful family dog.

For reference, Nina. She was a stray we found when she was four months old. When the vet told us she was a Pitt Bull mix, our initial reaction was "we can't keep her". We did, of course, and never regretted it once. She was a sweet dog, and one I would trust with children or other dogs with no reservations.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
LOVING that brindle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary