Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times

Advertisements

Real estate sales people are no different than car Sales people, or , home siding. ( Often times they are the same folks ) Those that get the closing , time after time , make the most money. What we all want is performance.. I've known several car salesman that could sell you anything , and , smile all the while thru the good and the bad. Brokers want people that taste good , not agents that have good taste. Talk alone doesn't cut it , closing does !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is probably the most real statement I have read about the profession. Most of the people who make a very good living at Real Estate are above all else, very good sales people. They are not selling homes. They are selling the homeowner or development management, to use them.
I am always stunned myself by people who pick some of the "top producers" who are average agents at best.

Some people are easily wooed by numbers like that.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Real estate sales people are no different than car Sales people, or , home siding. ( Often times they are the same folks ) Those that get the closing , time after time , make the most money. What we all want is performance.. I've known several car salesman that could sell you anything , and , smile all the while thru the good and the bad. Brokers want people that taste good , not agents that have good taste. Talk alone doesn't cut it , closing does !
Brokers generally don't care about the quality or the productivity of the agents except as the numerics are good for attracting other agents. Brokers make their primary income from agent head count. Five hundred agents that sale 4 homes a year is vastly better than 50 agents that sell 40 homes a year. They will cut bottom performers...but generally only for concerns about liablity or very bad behavior.

Note that this is reasonably sensible. Heavy hitters don't pay much of a cut and won't put up with much from a broker...down the street the new broker will love you.

Car salesman are quite different. Merely sharing the fact that good sales skills help does not make it similar. Car salesman lack the training and specialized skill of a good agent. No two home sales are the same. The car process is pretty standard. And the car salesman runs only a small part of the process. Much of the meat of the transaction (including sales) is run by finance types.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Brokers generally don't care about the quality or the productivity of the agents except as the numerics are good for attracting other agents. Brokers make their primary income from agent head count. Five hundred agents that sale 4 homes a year is vastly better than 50 agents that sell 40 homes a year. They will cut bottom performers...but generally only for concerns about liablity or very bad behavior.

Note that this is reasonably sensible. Heavy hitters don't pay much of a cut and won't put up with much from a broker...down the street the new broker will love you.

Car salesman are quite different. Merely sharing the fact that good sales skills help does not make it similar. Car salesman lack the training and specialized skill of a good agent. No two home sales are the same. The car process is pretty standard. And the car salesman runs only a small part of the process. Much of the meat of the transaction (including sales) is run by finance types.
So true about car sales in general, however , its all about volume. Home sales will never equal car sales , per salesman. Some of the best salesmen I knew , were independent of any dealer. They just didn't need the dealer ,.. granted , they did not have the great volume being fed them , but , made much more per transaction. I somehow always held those types with more respect, right , or wrong.... A favorite movie , was " The tin men " , more realistic than was given credit.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
So true about car sales in general, however , its all about volume. Home sales will never equal car sales , per salesman. Some of the best salesmen I knew , were independent of any dealer. They just didn't need the dealer ,.. granted , they did not have the great volume being fed them , but , made much more per transaction. I somehow always held those types with more respect, right , or wrong.... A favorite movie , was " The tin men " , more realistic than was given credit.
Give it up. I have never been in the car business but I have a son-in-law who is a financial VP in a major east coast dealership.

Not only don't you understand RE but you don't understand how car dealers work either.

Many car dealers work on volume. $50 a car. All RE deals are on value...

Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Give it up. I have never been in the car business but I have a son-in-law who is a financial VP in a major east coast dealership.

Not only don't you understand RE but you don't understand how car dealers work either.

Many car dealers work on volume. $50 a car. All RE deals are on value...
You seem to know everything, or , think you do. Don't judge me , based on what LITTLE you know. I have been in the car business for 25 years , am a Ebay Power seller , and was a certified Property Broker for 40 years , until I retired 2 years ago. I will not judge you , except , that you seem to discount to generalities , or , " standards" as YOU know them. Its a big world out there , take a look.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You seem to know everything, or , think you do. Don't judge me , based on what LITTLE you know. I have been in the car business for 25 years , am a Ebay Power seller , and was a certified Property Broker for 40 years , until I retired 2 years ago. I will not judge you , except , that you seem to discount to generalities , or , " standards" as YOU know them. Its a big world out there , take a look.
There are clericals who went through any number of interesting opportunities and never understood much of it.

You appear a classical example. Most of my resume exists on CD look around and you will find it. I am an older dude...but I was there mostly.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised you were a property broker. From your posts I'd have never guessed. Were you active or just hold a license because it's been well established that having a license doesn't make you knowledgeable.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Wow, I'm surprised you were a property broker. From your posts I'd have never guessed. Were you active or just hold a license because it's been well established that having a license doesn't make you knowledgeable.
Not sure what being a Property Broker , has to do with my posts , they have been mostly reflective of personal experiences over the years , and , as of late.
I got my License in 1981 , one of the few early on holders after deregulation. I was very active on the national scene as well. Served on arbitration board , and several national association posts, for many years. Had a very active Brokerage, serving a niche market.Many of my customers were fortune 500 companies. I rarely had contact with the retail public. I could write a book about it. I do have several , all out of print now. I had a monthly newsletter , as well.
Retired now, mostly tired , trying to write my memoir , and , build a cabin in the north woods, far from the madding crowd.....

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 39,932 times
Quote:
Thats crap. It sounds like you are talking about Tele-evangelists. We don't work for our broker. We work for ourselves. If we don't do our job right we will never get paid. And, although the public is mislead on this, we don't get the % that is paid to "us" we get a portion. I have a client that has looked at over 30 homes none over $85,000. I have shown her homes for the last 3 months after 6:30 pm. We our now in negotiation with a mortgage company owned house. For 5 weeks! My commission on this property will be......$560. I haven't complained. I haven't talked her into higher priced property. I have tried to get this to closing. And in fact we don't have any control over how quick it goes to closing. The banks are in complete control of the closing time once we are in contract. And yes closings talk. Because we can show homes for 80 years, hold opens, and list anything, and with out a closing we haven't even made a penny. Try working for weeks/months without pay. My brokers don't have any control over my buyers or sellers. I own my listings. I am hired by my clients. And I give all of them the chance to fire me without reason and without recourse. If they aren't happy I won't be. I have never been fired either. I have had clients who have found unlisted property through family or friends and it is okay with me. The misconception of Realtors is plain ignorance. Do you judge union workers this way? Doctors? Lawyers? Or those evil little retail workers working for that barely minimum wage paycheck. You were a poor broker if you were not working for the client. You screwed the client for a buck. Not much honesty there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals