Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_Avers View Post
This could NOT be true b/c the room with issues that he pointed to (bedroom) also has code violations that I am sure would have been discovered if that room was built back in 2005 ...
You have WAAAY to much faith in code inspectors. Many only visit the property once, maybe twice. And many don't catch anything. You think a city code inspector would catch stuff like this.... think again. Not all of them are competent or have any idea what they are doing. Many accept cash to just look the other way. Yep, that is how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,486 times
I'm not sure why they would penalize you for the permit correction since it wasn't your work.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The basics have been covered. Find a lawyer.

Yeah they are. None of these need more than eyesight and a circuit tester.

Here's a bit more on what an inspector is capable of seeing
and more specifically should KNOW to be looking for

1-Well before 2005 the code has required GFI R's in Bathrooms.
It is child's play to know if the circuit is protected. NO EXCUSE to not catch this on inspection.

2/3- Well before 2005 the code has required finished space to have an adequate number of receptacles.
(Wall receptacles every 12 feet. Receptacles on any wall space more than 24 inches wide.
Hallways more than 10 feet must have at least one receptacle.)
It is child's play to know if these exist. NO EXCUSE to not catch this on inspection.

4- No light switch? Really?
It is child's play to know if this exists. NO EXCUSE to not catch this on inspection.

5- Well before 2005 the code has required interconnected and hard wired smokes.
It is child's play to know if these exist. NO EXCUSE to not catch this on inspection.

6- No mention of a basement level bedroom egress window. Confirm

hth

Agree. These were all part of the national building codes prior to 2005. So either the builder cut corners, or the basement was built out to studs and the homeowner finished it and yes a home inspector is qualified to note those deficiencies. At least out here they are.

Out here this would be a trip to small claims court due to the amount. No attorneys needed. What does your contract state for dispute resolution. Do you have the option for small claims? Our limit is $7500 here.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Agree.
Thanks.

Quote:
Out here this would be a trip to small claims court due to the amount.
Our limit is $7500 here.
Absent more detail (but based on the broad nature) I'd say that $7500 is wishful.

To properly inspect everything hidden by GWB (walls ceilings etc) the space will need FULL
DEMO down to the studs. Depending on how well the framing etc is done (insulation, vapor barrier etc)
then even more demo (and proper disposal etc) may/will be required.
This part of the job alone could add up to $5000.

Then you get into (re) constructing the space... but to 2013 standards.
I really don't see it happening for less than another $10,000.

If any other mechanical work (like plumbing vents, HVAC, etc) or structural work
(like egress windows) need to be done or re-done... you can yet another $5,000; maybe more.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Yes, you do need an attorney.

We have only heard your story, but it does seem plausible. Don't do any damage to your case by posting any more comments. Let your attorney be your mouthpiece from this point forward.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

Absent more detail (but based on the broad nature) I'd say that $7500 is wishful.

To properly inspect everything hidden by GWB (walls ceilings etc) the space will need FULL
DEMO down to the studs. Depending on how well the framing etc is done (insulation, vapor barrier etc)
then even more demo (and proper disposal etc) may/will be required.
This part of the job alone could add up to $5000.

Then you get into (re) constructing the space... but to 2013 standards.
I really don't see it happening for less than another $10,000.

If any other mechanical work (like plumbing vents, HVAC, etc) or structural work
(like egress windows) need to be done or re-done... you can yet another $5,000; maybe more.
Demo out here could easily be done by a homeowner and out here it wouldn't even come close to $5k for a contractor to do it. Out here the whole thing could be done for $7500. 900 square feet to re-sheet rock and texture would be around $2k. Most homeowners can paint. I would do what I would need to do to keep the corrections under $7500.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Demo out here could easily be done by a homeowner and...
I would do what I would need to do to keep the corrections under $7500.
Why? Granted if the HO is unsuccessful at Court and is left holding the bag...
but that sort of "how low can I go" DIY scenario isn't the discussion.
(If/when it is have at it... LINK)

This discussion is about getting things 100% right when the County inspectors already have your
home in their cross hairs and what ELSE might (often will) accompany the low level of work already
known of. Until the GWB is off that is impossible to know.

I'll stick with my estimates to remedy what I have speculated might be needed.
If it all isn't needed? Good for everyone involved.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Why? Granted if the HO is unsuccessful at Court and is left holding the bag...
but that sort of "how low can I go" DIY scenario isn't the discussion.
(If/when it is have at it... LINK)

This discussion is about getting things 100% right when the County inspectors already have your
home in their cross hairs and what ELSE might (often will) accompany the low level of work already
known of. Until the GWB is off that is impossible to know.

I'll stick with my estimates to remedy what I have speculated might be needed.
If it all isn't needed? Good for everyone involved.
Because it costs about $10k to go to mediation out here. Our dispute resolution is small claims, then mediation, then arbitration. It doesn't make financial sense to me to spend $10k in legal fees to try and get $2500 more. Plus the buyers were already aware of the crappy drywall job since that you can see. You'd only be having the seller pay to correct the electrical, other code and permit issues. The electrician quoted $3k. Why would anyone sue over that when they can go to small claims. It's only $100 to file here.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You'd only be having (someone else) pay to correct the electrical, other code and permit issues.
Why would anyone sue over that when they can go to small claims.
Because the other code issues are unknown and unknowable until demo is done.
You keep asserting the work is unquestionably a small job. I don't agree.

If the still unknown scope of work can be done for something less than the small claims limit... fine.
Investigate, assess, get the quotes... then see where it stands.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
I'm thinking Silverfall has the better path on this one.

While it's true that unseen issues are (or can be) a can of worms, It doesn't sound to me (and I spent a fair amount of my youth in the trades) like anything near as dire as Mr.R thinks it is. Obviously if I was there in the basement armed with the local codes I might have a different opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals