Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm interested in working for a real estate office which happens to be just a few blocks away from another location that I'm interested in.

Is it true that as an agent for a large company, an agent can work open houses for any agent out of any location? Also, if I pay desk fees for one location... does that mean I can only work out of that particular location or could I go back and forth? I'm basically wondering how tied down will I be to a particular office location. I will certainly ask these questions when I interview but I'm excited to learn the answers so I figured I'd ask here, too! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 12:02 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Its commin for agents in one office to ask if they can hold an open house on another co worker's listings. Its also not something you do without getting permission.
Whether you can use the other office is up to your broker. We have 2 locations and have access to both.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:45 PM

Great - thank you!

Old 07-28-2019, 04:52 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Yes.. It's up to the listing agent and the seller whether they want you to do an open house. You could hold opens for out of area agents too, if they agree.

I even invited an agent at another brokerage, to sit an open house on one of my listings not long ago. I knew her and knew she grew up in that neighborhood. I was there too, for an estate sale at the property, but didn't particularly want to deal with unrepresented buyers. It worked out fine and she brought me the winning offer!

Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
This might be something you want to ask during the interview process. I know my broker owns 3 separate KW locations. The office I work out of in Needham is considered a satellite of our office in Westwood. We also have an office in Easton that's considered completely separate. I recently had a listing near Easton and inquired with the Team Leader over there about whether someone from that office would like to do the open houses for me and I was told it was not allowed. According to him it's an issue with our Errors & Omission Insurance.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:26 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
We don't have desk fees in my office. If you work in one office, you can cover open houses for agents in the company if they give you permission and are familiar with the house & market in that location. I've met clients in other branch offices and never had an issue.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
I'd ask....some might some might not.

It's not common with me...but as a KW agent I have met clients in offices that were not where I am based. I've also used their computers and photocopiers.

You can ask agents in your office if they want their listings held open. Agents often do this on my listings. Mostly newer agents, but some established ones as well.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Diana Holbrook - I did't realize we could possibly have an agent from another company sit at the open house, too. That's great and something I will look into, as well.

MikePRU - thank you, yes, I will definitely bring this up in the interview. I am hoping to generate most of my leads this way. So the location who you weren't allowed to do the open house for - was under a different broker? Or was it considered one of your 3?

jdhall1 - I like the "no desk fees"!

Thank you for all the responses!

Old 07-29-2019, 03:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noothernamesleft View Post
MikePRU - thank you, yes, I will definitely bring this up in the interview. I am hoping to generate most of my leads this way. So the location who you weren't allowed to do the open house for - was under a different broker? Or was it considered one of your 3?
It was my listing and I was looking for someone from our other office which is closer to where the listing was located to host the open houses for me. It's the same broker and the same ownership. For some reason, they consider themselves a separate office from us and I was told by the team leader there that they don't allow their agents to host open houses for listing agents in "other brokerages."

If you plan on generating leads from open houses, I definitely suggest you look into the Keller Williams group coaching course "Hold It Open To Close the Deal" from Chris Suarez. Really got a lot of good tips from it and I've been an agent for over a decade.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noothernamesleft View Post
Diana Holbrook - I did't realize we could possibly have an agent from another company sit at the open house, too. That's great and something I will look into, as well.
Good luck. It might not be approved in every situation, but for the situation I just went through, it was an estate and we were going to be having an estate sale at the house.

We decided since the house was open for the estate sale anyway, we might as well advertise it as an open house, and if my colleague from another brokerage wanted to hang around, I didn't necessarily need to stop her.

Not all DBs have an open mind about such things. Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals