Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 AM

474 posts, read 2,193,794 times

Advertisements

They weren't relatives, they weren't legitimate buyers, they were ignorant nosey neighbors with no class and no respect for their deceased neighbor. Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 08:59 AM

345 posts, read 1,579,030 times
once we put an offer on a house and the lady accepted the offer... she didn't want a deposit as her "lawyer" son-in-law was out of town for the w/e and he would give her the required papers for us to sign and then give the deposit.

what we didn't know is that a realtor in town (supposedly) saw us leaving her house and then went in to let her know he could get her more $$. Well she called on that night and said "i've decided to give it to so and so realtor" .. We were shocked and upset. I just wanted to point out that realtors do the same thing as far as scooping the house out from someone.... it's all business right??

Old 03-31-2007, 09:11 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
once we put an offer on a house and the lady accepted the offer... she didn't want a deposit as her "lawyer" son-in-law was out of town for the w/e and he would give her the required papers for us to sign and then give the deposit.

what we didn't know is that a Realtor in town (supposedly) saw us leaving her house and then went in to let her know he could get her more $$. Well she called on that night and said "I've decided to give it to so and so Realtor" .. We were shocked and upset. I just wanted to point out that Realtors do the same thing as far as scooping the house out from someone.... it's all business right??
Supposedly nothing! What most likely happened in the mom called her daughter - and her SIL said - list it, see what it will bring on the open market.

You could have still made your offer, after it was listed, in writing and bought it.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Supposedly nothing! What most likely happened in the mom called her daughter - and her SIL said - list it, see what it will bring on the open market.

You could have still made your offer, after it was listed, in writing and bought it.

no, no, another realtor told us her boss was the one that went over... unless she was fibbing??

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
no, no, another realtor told us her boss was the one that went over... unless she was fibbing??
and to tell you that truth, is kind of sours you on that home and that women. she could have told us she would give us first refusal or something but she made it clear that it was not something we were going to discuss. the end result was we only had to come up 10,000 we would have been willing to do that....

Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 AM

79 posts, read 192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
They weren't relatives, they weren't legitimate buyers, they were ignorant nosey neighbors with no class and no respect for their deceased neighbor. Get it?
so funny, and yet you were right in the deceased ladies home trying to sell it for the comm. Hmnnn if they were ignorant nosey neighbors with no class and no respect for their deceased neighbor than may I ask you...what does that make you? a silly goose?

I see absolutly nothing wrong with it. I'm sure that the family members would have been pleased not to have to deal with all of that furniture. come on seriously though! you were there trying to sell the deceased home and was just pissed that someone came in and was interested in something other than the home for sale. Thats what it sounds like to me. get over it! move on and sell another!

Last edited by gotcha; 03-31-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 AM

79 posts, read 192,775 times
Quote:

what we didn't know is that a realtor in town (supposedly) saw us leaving her house and then went in to let her know he could get her more $$. Well she called on that night and said "i've decided to give it to so and so realtor" .. We were shocked and upset. I just wanted to point out that realtors do the same thing as far as scooping the house out from someone.... it's all business right??

happened to me more than once... But its ok for them to do it right?

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM

114 posts, read 398,105 times
Quote:
my realtor hasn't talked to us in weeks... we refused an offer that was 110,000 lower than our asking price... i think he is mad that we basically laughed....
he told us they could go up about another 15,000... still 95,000 under what our house is on for... we wondered why is he wasting our time showing the house to someone who can no way afford it?? please, realtors, tell my why he would do this... it takes a lot to keep the house clean and get 5 kids and a dog out... this makes me soooo mad....
Without knowing for sure, it sounds like he is bringing a buyer to his own listing, which is legal and ok if done well, with impartiality. The fact that he does not call could mean he is 'busy' but it is an agent's job to keep in touch. He should be more able to talk with you regarding the market, the offers or lack of, so you can see by comparison if perhaps your price is a little high. If he gave you good comps and you priced within say, about 10% +/- recents solds, then that size of offers is 'offensive'. It is not his position to judge the offer, but to advise you of it or present all offers, good or bad. No one can force buyers to offer, it is their choice. If he is representing both sides, he might be better off referring the buyer to another agent so it does not compromise his position as your agent. It is a challenging market here, and $100,000 lowball offers and even more, are common here also. Some sellers accept, some hold firm. It's not personal to the agent, but it is a bit stressful to sellers. Try and get a grip on the emotional part of selling, take a deep breath, call your agent and tell him 'no thanks,' keep trying. It is the agent's duty to 'bring all offers', good or bad. He is not trying to put one over on you, I'm sure. It's partly the market, as prices are still going down in many areas. So important to price according to what has sold recently, not based on what you need financially to move on, or because you see others asking high prices. Pricing homes is not an exact science. Good luck. Talk this out with your agent and listen to his explanation. He may have no offers, and thought bringing you something at all might give you some feeling of at least one person is interested.Remember, he legally has to present all offers, though he could have verbally felt you out and discouraged the buyers before writing it up. The buyers do have the right to at least try. If they do not qualify for your home, then he should tell them it probably would be bette to offer on homes in the range they prequalify for only. I've had this happen, and noone is happy.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:

The above scenario is what our competitive free market is all about. I'll explain how it might seem to an agent. The whole situation you described does reek of someone listening in and butting in where they were not invited, but it happens a lot. Homeowners who try and sell their own homes are called FSBO's for short (for sale by owner), and often get less money than listed homes. Agents are trained to pursue FSBO's. They do approach these homeowners from their signs, and offer just what this agent did, to get more for their home (based on comps, or formerly sold homes in the area) or in a quicker time. The agent does give a seller more exposure to potential buyers through all the marketing and MLS. Hundreds of agents see the home on the MLS and many may have one good buyer. Even with a commission figured in, often a home listed with an agent brings a seller more than if it was not listed. Your being able to work a deal directlly with a seller is ok. Hopefully, someone, like the lawyer relative, would have seen to it that is was all done legally. I'm sorry this happened. It may be all about business, but I don't like this no holds barred, every man or woman for themselves attitude. On the other hand, perhaps the owner was not confident about going forward with all the details of transferring home ownership, or perhaps she was not sure what to ask. Think of how important it is to work out all the details to avoid a lawsuit. Agents do make homes transfer from one person to another as smoothly as they can. If this woman had changed her mind after you 'gave her a check' of any size, there might have been a lawsuit. It's very risky to do it alone. Just my opinion, hope it helps bring a little insight. You might get a buyers agent to help you so you could be represented in a successful offer on a home. Again, good luck, and don't give up.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERIALBROWNS View Post
An open house may be to the benefit of the seller however, my open house gave us much exposure and that's how we sold our house.
Open houses do get potential buyers, though not always for the exact house that is open. Buyers are comparing, and will eventually buy something, so why not at least give the house some activity. True, agents do often secure buyers from these open houses for other homes in the area; it's ok. If that buyer wants the house, they will buy it. If they find a competitor, they will buy it, and will secure an agent somehow. When a seller signs the listing agreement, this should be explained at this time, that you are aware of this possiblity, and that you have been informed. (It's on the agency, and the dual agency disclosures here in California). Some agents are more discreet; they should give that home his attention for the open house and contact the buyer later, but it's not wrong to show other homes in the area. As for sitting at open houses, rookie agents have to start somewhere. Some agents do very getting leads from open houses and love to do them. If they don't like to hold open house, but the seller wants one, then any agent can hold an open house for the listing agent. It's one way of getting more leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals