Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It just may be...

Keeshonder got a LOT of response to his blog about it on ActiveRain, and it was NOT a positive response.
That's because Realtor.com is no longer about promoting homes to potential buyers and working FOR the Realtors anymore. It's about how many ads they can sell and how much money they can collect from agents. Heck, they even sell leads now with the "Buyer Assist" program. The only thing it assists a buyer with is getting them to an agent willing to buy leads. Not consumer or Realtor friendly. They're greedy and they are getting what's coming as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That's because Realtor.com is no longer about promoting homes to potential buyers and working FOR the Realtors anymore. It's about how many ads they can sell and how much money they can collect from agents. Heck, they even sell leads now with the "Buyer Assist" program. The only thing it assists a buyer with is getting them to an agent willing to buy leads. Not consumer or Realtor friendly. They're greedy and they are getting what's coming as a result.
I agree. It has gotten horribly slow and bogged down with advertising. I know I need a newer faster computer, but it's the slowest site I ever visit these days.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ditto.

Ditto, again.

Realtor.com is strictly Move.com-centric, when it should be Realtor-centric, or even better yet, Consumer-centric.
I'm gonna double ditto, and add that I cannot stress enough the importance of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage.

Realtor.com reminds me of what Facebook is becoming. A place where everyone has been taught to go, so now everyone is there, and is hesitant to go elsewhere... yet, they still keep monkeying around with the layout so much that they're making it more and more undesirable to the (I assume) target audience. And it appears to be centered around ads and making more money.

It's really a major turnoff.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I agree. It has gotten horribly slow and bogged down with advertising. I know I need a newer faster computer, but it's the slowest site I ever visit these days.

LOL!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder if trolling the internet looking for realtor.com bashing is a full time job?

I call spider bot on the whole business.

Spider bot finds it, someone in India (or Singapore) sends out a canned response.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Could one site possibly have MORE ads?

It takes a century to load it. I've become more and more put off with it since we started looking around at houses this past fall.

Why do they do that? Is it some sort of nonprofit org? I thought not?

And don't get me started on zillow. It's good for some stuff, (like finding more pics when realtor.com doesn't have many) but most of the listings are outdated. It's so frustrating to go look there, see a nice house, then find out it's not on the market.

Bah.

I'm not totally bashing them since I do still use the darned things. Hope I'm not violating the TOS.
You've got that right. Why do I have to sit there and wait for "Photo Carousel Loading" with multi-million-dollar houses in Malibu when I'm searching for a 2-bedroom condo in Monmouth County, NJ?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Oh this forum is spot on. I am very actively looking for a new home. For past home purchases, I relied on Realtor.com. Now...OMG...that site makes me want to blow up my computer. It is like watching the grass grow while waiting for the pages to open. There are a zillion ads for things I have NO interest in. Also, when I see a house that appeals, when I open the link about 80% of the time the house has already sold. Now I ask you, why on earth would I want to look at houses already under contract? And ditto for them loading houses hundreds of thousands of dollars over my top price..is this designed to make me change my mind about how much I can spend? Its nuts!

My frustration with Realtor.com finally got to me. I sent them negative feedback this morning. Somehow, especially reading the above post from Jill, I sense that it was a waste of key strokes on my part.

Anyone know of a GREAT site in the DC/MD/VA area? PM me if you do. I have used Trulia (its kind of OK) and Redfin (I m not a fan) and Zillow. I am not yet ready to approach a realtor...I want to scope out prices, neighborhoods, etc before I take that step.

Glad I am not alone in my frustration with Realtor.com.

Last edited by FlightAttendant; 02-19-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Oh this forum is spot on. I am very actively looking for a new home. For past home purchases, I relied on Realtor.com. Now...OMG...that site makes me want to blow up my computer. It is like watching the grass grow while waiting for the pages to open. There are a zillion ads for things I have NO interest in. Also, when I see a house that appeals, when I open the link about 80% of the time the house has already sold. Now I ask you, why on earth would I want to look at houses already under contract? And ditto for them loading houses hundreds of thousands of dollars over my top price..is this designed to make me change my mind about how much I can spend? Its nuts!

My frustration with Realtor.com finally got to me. I sent them negative feedback this morning. Somehow, especially reading the above post from Jill, I sense that it was a waste of key strokes on my part.

Anyone know of a GREAT site in the DC/MD/VA area? PM me if you do. I have used Trulia (its kind of OK) and Redfin (I m not a fan) and Zillow. I am not yet ready to approach a realtor...I want to scope out prices, neighborhoods, etc before I take that step.

Glad I am not alone in my frustration with Realtor.com.
You should be able to find an agent site where you can surf all local listings, no strings attached, i.e., without having to affiliate with the agent.

You need access to agent IDX sites, not monetized advertising sites with real estate as a sideline, like Realtor.com, Trillow, Zulia, etc.
IDX, Internet Data Exchage, is a system wherein agents agree to share listing data for more exposure to the public.
Search for "IDX providers" and drill it down to your local area(s).
Most IDX providers label the site, "Powered by
*.* IDX" and that will lead you to individual sites.

Remember, the agent whose site you are on probably is not the listing agent, just sharing listings.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I agree with mightyqueen about the carousel. Not useful/informatice/relative and takes forever to load. Will definitely check out those other sites, MikeJaquish

Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree with mightyqueen about the carousel. Not useful/informatice/relative and takes forever to load. Will definitely check out those other sites, MikeJaquish
So, you don't want a multimillion-dollar house in Malibu either, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate