Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
Like I quoted from you. You were referencing a "challenge." So, I don't get your point in the above statement.
Clearly we aren't understanding each other. I can't see any value in hiring an appraiser for a tax appeal in NJ. There is pretty much only one thing they look at. That is recent sold comps. So why would you need to hire an appraiser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

290 posts, read 573,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Clearly we aren't understanding each other. I can't see any value in hiring an appraiser for a tax appeal in NJ. There is pretty much only one thing they look at. That is recent sold comps. So why would you need to hire an appraiser?
Ok... you have it your way. I tell you what, you hire yourself a sales person, a tax agent, or any other person who wouldn't know how comparable properties work, which includes a Lawyer -- I'll hire myself an Independent Appraiser; see which one the court of law accepts.

Have a nice day

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Ok... you have it your way. I tell you what, you hire yourself a sales person, a tax agent, or any other person who wouldn't know how comparable properties work, which includes a Lawyer -- I'll hire myself an Independent Appraiser; see which one the court of law accepts.

Have a nice day
"see which one the court of law accepts"

What on earth are you talking about?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
"see which one the court of law accepts"

What on earth are you talking about?
Tax Appeals...(in many places there is a court for it). In many areas, a board will look at the appeal, and if it can be resolved through a board, then a court won't get involved. Hopefully, an Assessor will resolve it without the above due process. Either way, all of them will have to have something that is considered "credible" -- an Appraisal, by an Independent Real Estate Appraiser.

The fact is, to answer the question in the heading of the thread: yes, the taxes will most likely change when purchasing a property. However; If the property is sold under an exemption, then most likely there will won't be any change in what the purchaser pays, unless the exemption doesn't cover either municipal or County Assessments (one of the two).

Have a nice day

Last edited by Greeenback; 03-12-2011 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Here is the question.
All the houses we are looking at have some of the updates, like
1. HVAC
2. Finished basement
3. Finished attic
4. Second or third bathroom
5. Enclosed porch.

But when I look up all these houses at the assessors web page NONE of the updates are reported.
It is funny, one of the houses i looked up has a dormered roof and it is sooo obvious from the photograph of the house that the assessors office has on their web page but the house still formally does not have finished attic.
The taxes are already huge (4000 and up). I am scared to think of the taxes raise after reporting the updates.
So do you have to report them after you buy a house in any way?
Do they come and look inside your house when you apply for homeowner exemption?
I understand that the situation vary from state to state, but I will apreciate any information (can be very useful to everyone who buys a house)
Monday morning, you should just call your local Assessor, or Revenue Department, or whatever title, and ask about the process.
It definitely has local variations.

Here in NC, sales price is not relevant, and is not grounds for revaluation between reassessments.
Erroneous data would give you standing to petition for a reassessment, i.e., error in square footage, number of baths, garage, finished basement, etc, that were improperly entered in at time of assessment.

I think you just make the call and see what your locals are doing.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,048 times
I am mostly worried about all this improvements done without permit. Here is what I figured out myself:
I looked at some properties that were sold in say, 2006 and by that time the updates were already done. Then they are selling these properties again now, and the updates are still unreported. That makes me think, that at least in our area you can buy a house with tons of updates done without a permit and still not report them.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Tax Appeals...(in many places there is a court for it). In many areas, a board will look at the appeal, and if it can be resolved through a board, then a court won't get involved. Hopefully, an Assessor will resolve it without the above due process. Either way, all of them will have to have something that is considered "credible" -- an Appraisal, by an Independent Real Estate Appraiser.

Have a nice day
Are you suggesting the only way to appeal your tax assessment is by having an appraisal from an independent real estate appraiser?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting the only way to appeal your tax assessment is by having an appraisal from an independent real estate appraiser?
No, no, the only way an IA salesperson can squeeze a fast buck from the consumer is to oversell the sizzle on that filet o' mystery meat.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No, no, the only way an IA salesperson can squeeze a fast buck from the consumer is to oversell the sizzle on that filet o' mystery meat.
I'll have to remind my two neighbors who won their appeals all on their own of that fact. What were they thinking?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Value is considered; this is what I am saying. The tax assessor just doesn't grab a number out of the air.

If there are legal issues, then a Lawyer will be needed. However; If there is an error in square footage or something else, then a Lawyer or home owner will most likely call on a Real Estate Appraiser -- this way they can have a "credible" witness and supply accuracy of the numbers presented.

The Appraiser can answer in detail, what a room or bedroom really is or what constitutes a bedroom, and so forth as it relates to the property in question, in front of a board, tax assessor, or the court of law; referencing the "nature of real estate."

The owner of the property can argue it without any help, if this is how the the owner and Assessor wants to do it. There is no law saying that a property owner can argue their property taxes themselves.

Like I said, Mr. Manderly, you can have it your way and hire someone other than a Real Estate Appraiser. I'll do it the correct way. See how far you get. On the other hand, you can argue the taxes yourself (this is fine -- there is no law saying other wise, and home owners have won their appeals, before -- this is not secret news)

EDIT TO ADD: I will always recomend a Real Estate Appraiser in challenging taxes, because it is best to do so. When someone has legal disputes, it is best to hire a Lawyer, and many Lawyers will suggest it, as it is best to do so.

Have a nice evening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate