Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

The tax assesor can't come into the house.
Field inspections are common in some municipalities. One can refuse and accept the appraised value and does not stand a chance at appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I lived in NJ, twice. Appeals are handled at the county level. Appraisals were acceptable in both counties that I lived in, provided that the expert appraiser wittness was present, would testify and subject him/herself to a cross examination.

The appraiser was often challenged because he/she did not have first hand knowledge of the comp properties while the assessor did, including interior pictures.

The market value needs to be more than 15% less than the assessed value to be taken into consideration.
Personally if I was going to bring a third party in to it I would rather spend that money on a lawyer with experience in the appeal process. I didn't mean to say you couldn't use an appraisal (you can use whatever you want to argue your case I guess), I just think it isn't the best use of your money in the process.

And yes, they give themselves a 15% cushion so you have to show it is over valued by more than that.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM

290 posts, read 573,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It seems that every thread you post in is a veiled attempt to have someone get an appraisal rather than answering the original post.
I answered the OP's question. Enjoy your Sunday

Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
Tax Assessment (also known as Ad Valorem), is based on "Market Value."

The Tax Assessor will typically receive the information from the recorded deed when the property is sold.

A home owner can challenge property taxes by hiring an Independent Real Estate Appraiser.

An Assessor is supposed to re-assess every so years, 4, 8, or so on, depending on their rules. They use a "Mass Appraisal Model." However; Mass Appraisal Models do not take into account the true theory of "Market Value" when used alone and/or by others. The best way to re-assess is to have it appraised, according to "Market Value."

Definition of Mass Appraisal Model: "...A mathematical expression, that is supposed to show supply and demand factors interacting in the market."

In reality, it is just an Assessor's opinion (when the model is used by them), which doesn't hold beans. An Appraisal from an Independent Appraiser is what holds beans.

Assessor's have been guilty nationwide at skewing taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
In our area nobody would want to hire an appraiser to correct the taxes - all the houses have remodelling done without permit so, the taxes are most likely change for the worse if they invite an appraiser.
Quote:
The OP didn't seem to think so.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:

Thank you for the well rounded responses as it demonstrates how appraisals fit into the taxes and appeals process. Some people just can't see past their commissions and don't seem to understand there is more to real estate which many people don't get exposed to on a regular basis. Every taxing authority has its own rules and regs so everyone should always check with them for local information and to determine what legal or professional documents are required.

Keep up the good work.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
In Florida, every sale hits the books and you can expect to pay about 2% of your sale price in property taxes. Massachusetts, on the other hand, doesn't look at recent sale prices. Each state will have it's own way to tax properties. There may be propositions that can or may protect you from steep increases. Also, now that housing prices are tumbling in some states, there are communities that are dropping assessments and property taxes while others are forging ahead and increasing taxes in spite of dropping assessments. Go figure. No real rhyme or reason. Do your homework.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
In Florida, every sale hits the books and you can expect to pay about 2% of your sale price in property taxes. Massachusetts, on the other hand, doesn't look at recent sale prices. Each state will have it's own way to tax properties. There may be propositions that can or may protect you from steep increases. Also, now that housing prices are tumbling in some states, there are communities that are dropping assessments and property taxes while others are forging ahead and increasing taxes in spite of dropping assessments. Go figure. No real rhyme or reason. Do your homework.
Keep in mind that towns still need to pay their bills. And even though an assessment may drop for an entire town, you have to also look at the tax rate. They could drop every house by 50% and then turn around and raise the rate.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
We all have bills to pay and at some point, responsible spending needs to come into play. Tax rates, unions, state budgets.....it is all evolving into something new.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Field inspections are common in some municipalities. One can refuse and accept the appraised value and does not stand a chance at appealing.
Without a search warrant no one has the right to enter your property. As for an appeal, you are very wrong on that unless you live in one seriously corrupt place.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
In MD when a hous echanges hands the sale price in the new benchmark for property taxes. MD tax law limits property tax increases to 10%/year (some jurisdictions are lower) through a Homestead Exemption for primary residence/non-rental. So if you buy my house the property tax is one figure and that has been Homestead exempted. Let's say the Homestead exempted assessment value is $180K, that's the my property tax is based on. You buy it for $300K, which is the actual market value. Your property tax is based on that as assessments are supposed to reflect market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate